how to reset the default search engine

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
tladeris

how to reset the default search engine

Post by tladeris »

I want the search engine to be reset to a default one, say "Google" every time I restart FF. Currently, it remembers whatever is last used. For example, if I searched "IMDB", next time FF starts, it defaults to "IMDB" rather than "Google".
Racer

Post by Racer »

Try setting browser.search.defaultenginename or browser.search.selectedEngine
I believe you would have to completely restart Firefox for these settings to take effect.
tladeris

Post by tladeris »

no, didn't work. still set to the last used.

Racer wrote:Try setting browser.search.defaultenginename or browser.search.selectedEngine
I believe you would have to completely restart Firefox for these settings to take effect.
sheehan

Post by sheehan »

You should be able to add a line in your pref.js or user.js to set browser.search.selectedEngine to Google. This should override any selections on startup.
tladeris

Post by tladeris »

I did that. But after startup, the default search icon is still the last one I used, in this case, Dictionary.com.

sheehan wrote:You should be able to add a line in your pref.js or user.js to set browser.search.selectedEngine to Google. This should override any selections on startup.
tladeris

Post by tladeris »

Here is what I did:

user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "Google");
user_pref("browser.search.selectedEngine", "Google");

anything wrong?

sheehan wrote:You should be able to add a line in your pref.js or user.js to set browser.search.selectedEngine to Google. This should override any selections on startup.