[Ext] ImageBot

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
JaGx

[Ext] ImageBot

Post by JaGx »

Download URL: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1174

ImageBot
==========================
Bulk/Batch/Mass Image Uploader!

ImageBot allows you upload your images to a free image hosting service (ImageShack, Photobucket, and Imgur).

Why was ImageBot created?

ImageBot was created to allow everyone, even your grandma, to upload images with ease for use on forums, websites, and well....for sharing! I tried to make ImageBot as versatile as possible, allowing you to upload one or images by simple file selection or just by dragging and dropping. After your images are uploaded, you can copy templates for forum bbcode, html for a website, or even html for a simple image gallery. Want to login to your Imageshack or Photobucket account? No problem, ImageBot supports that too. Once logged in, you can even use the Synchronize option in the right-click menu to have ImageBot download all the images you have stored with your account! I know people like to share screenshots a lot and pasting them into paint and going to an image-uploading site is a tedious task. So, you can also upload your clipboard with ImageBot and it'll automatically compress the data to a jpg! I'm always looking for features to add and good image hosts. Currently, ImageBot supports ImageShack, Photobucket, and imgur but I plan to add more in the near future!
Last edited by JaGx on November 27th, 2009, 12:32 am, edited 8 times in total.
apainttown

Post by apainttown »

I also am looking for insight on how to improve the bot. What should I add, remove, etc? Please give your ideas and opinions and I will be most thankful!
Thanks in advance!!!

comments:

1) when i upload files the status indicates all are 'loading' . maybe deferentiate between loading and queued? maybe status should be an indicator bar or a percentage?

2) i like a lean context menu but others may look for it being there. option on/off for context menu?

3) something that may seperate ImageBot from all the others, a pause/stop/restart option for what ever reason, in one particular instance, the thumbnail indicates a partial upload even though it says done. my impulse looked for a way to re-upload that particular image.

4) if pics are larger that ImageShack's allowabe threshold, 1.024 meg, will it tell you ahead of time or will it waste time trying to upload then coming back and tell you it can not becauce...blah blah blah. sorry didn't test this so only asking as a hypothetical.

5) it would also be appropriate for all to access some sort of page where updates or changelogs could be found without having to register to the Pimps of Pain forum.

6) i do like the float/tab option

7) it only generates direct links?....i need thumbnail forum links. without thumbnails i can not use.

gluck
JaGx

Post by JaGx »

Thanks for the feedback, gluck!

1) I definitely will add progressmeters for each image in the next release. The only problem is that even after all the data has been sent, ImageShack has varied delays on the time it takes to send back the link and thumb.

2) I don't think many people will care about turning on and off the context menu but I might add it.

3) I did not want to involve ImageBot with actual files aside from when you pick them since the end-user can always delete them, but I suppose it would be nice to be able to reupload an image (resuming is not possible due to the fact that it's a simple HTTP POST Request)

4) ImageShack could always up their max limit so I thought a server-side check would be better but in actuality you are right. If I was to keep on developing the bot I could always change the check if ImageShack ups it.

5) The changelog is attached to the bottom of the post. I will setup a small page for ImageBot later in the week.

6) Woot? :)

7) I'm going to be adding in some gallery options with some defaults (copy thumbnail gallery, copy thumbnails, copy images). To make your own custom ones you will be able to use several variables:
thumbnail
imageshack page
etc..
apainttown

Post by apainttown »

i forgot to mention a feature that is a real timesaver and seperates ImageBot from ShellUploader. i can upload images to ImageShack while in my image browser, in my case XnView. previously i had to goto to windows explorer and upload from there. this feature is worth the price of admission. as it stands, forum thumbnail links are the only thing keeping me from utilizing and evangelizing to all the Firefox users in the forums i frequent.

thanks for the work you have put in to this extension.
JaGx

Post by JaGx »

No problem. If you ever want to help out with it on aim you can reach me at Revengist.

I successfully implemented the progressmeter idea today with a failure story.
The 99% portion of the delay is when the file is being sent to the ImageShack server (4096 bytes per packet). There is only about a .5 second delay for imageshack to send back the link/thumbnail data once the image is uploaded. XMLHttpRequest onprogress can only measure the response portion which totally ruins this idea.

The only way I could do it PERHAPS is if I use lower-level network implementation XPCOM: sockets.

I came up with another idea for the future in addition to yours:
drag & drop. If you drag & drop one or more images onto the tree, it should react and start uploading them. This feature will be easy to implement.

Now, I'm off to work on those other ideas you had :)

Oh yeh. Forgot to mention that I need nice graphics for the different states since the current ones suck :(:
DONE
ERROR

If anyone talented designer or just anyone that finds some nice royalty-free ones wants to send me them, send them to revengist@gmail.com, or post them here, or aim me them: Revengist.
Thanks in advance!
JaGx

Post by JaGx »

The template/gallery feature is almost finished. I'll hopefully be uploading ImageBot 1.5.1 later today.
JaGx

ImageBot 1.6 Released!!

Post by JaGx »

It's here!

New features include:
drag n drop onto tree to upload images (accepts folders or files)
template system: now you can quickly make a gallery of your images at the click of a button using the template system
1 template that uses all the possible variables is included.

http://pimpsofpain.com/imagebot.xpi

I still need those images and if anyone wants to help write the tutorial for imagebot, fill it in via the template here: http://pimpsofpain.com/imagebot.html
apainttown

Post by apainttown »

last xpi link not working... did you mean imgbot.xpi instead of imagebot.xpi?
Peregrino

Post by Peregrino »

Well, I was just wondering if you would like to make an Spanish Version of ImageBot, because if you do, I can make it :D! ImageBot saved me hours of work, but the only way I can help you it's with the spanish translation T__T. I hope you like the idea,

;) Peregrino
~MalditoCRC~ Fansub
http://www.MalditoCRC.com.ar
JaGx

Post by JaGx »

appainttown. Yes I did. My bad :'(
http://pimpsofpain.com/imgbot.xpi (1.6.5) [the one on mozilla update is 1.6, this has a few advancements]

Peregrino: Por favor, traduce ImageBot para espanolas.
Well, I'm not that good at spanish >.<
With 1.6.5 comes localization. All language strings have been localized for translation.

You have to translate the right-hand side of all these tags to spanish if you want a spanish imagebot! :)

<!--overlay-->
<!ENTITY overlay.float "Float">
<!ENTITY overlay.tab "Tab">
<!ENTITY overlay.help "Help">

<!--tabs-->
<!ENTITY tabs.uploadCenter "Upload Center">
<!ENTITY tabs.templateEditor "Template Editor">

<!--upload center-->
<!ENTITY upload_center.copy "Copy">
<!ENTITY upload_center.copyTemplate "Copy Template">
<!ENTITY upload_center.delete "Delete">
<!ENTITY upload_center.selectAll "Select All">
<!ENTITY upload_center.myImages "My Images">
<!ENTITY upload_center.filter "Filter:">
<!ENTITY upload_center.enterRegExp "Enter a Regular Expression">
<!ENTITY upload_center.clear "Clear">
<!ENTITY upload_center.thumbnail "Thumbnail">
<!ENTITY upload_center.id "ID">
<!ENTITY upload_center.name "Name">
<!ENTITY upload_center.status "Status">
<!ENTITY upload_center.size "Size">
<!ENTITY upload_center.url "URL">
<!ENTITY upload_center.upload "Upload">
<!ENTITY upload_center.uploadImages "Upload Images">

<!--template editor-->
<!ENTITY template_editor.add "Add">
<!ENTITY template_editor.save "Save">
<!ENTITY template_editor.delete "Delete">
<!ENTITY template_editor.templates "Templates">
<!ENTITY template_editor.name "Name">
<!ENTITY template_editor.moveUp "Move Up">
<!ENTITY template_editor.moveDown "Move Down">
<!ENTITY template_editor.editTemplate "Edit Template">
<!ENTITY template_editor.contents "Contents">
<!ENTITY template_editor.separator "Separator">
<!ENTITY template_editor.preview "Preview">

Post them here or email,etc.. when you're done. NOTE: I don't care whether there is a spanish imagebot or not unless people WANT it. You don't need to do the work if no one is going to want it. Just a note. Thanks for your interest!
Misael.K

Post by Misael.K »

jackee wrote:ChangeLog
=================
1.5:
code optimized for greater efficiency
sorting now persists
filtering via regular expressions added per request of Misael_K
filtering is persistant
now compatible with firefox 1.0+ up to firefox 1.5 beta 2

Wow! Can't believe I'm in the changelog! O__o

The new version is great ;), btw. Just like I said in the mozilla extensions section, it's been a lifesaver. We looked everywhere for something like this, and started to believe that such thing didn't exist... but we were happily wrong :D.

Great extension!! (I won't stop repeating it :mrgreen:)

jackee wrote:I also am looking for insight on how to improve the bot. What should I add, remove, etc? Please give your ideas and opinions and I will be most thankful!
Thanks in advance!!!

Only one thing that needs mentioning:

Sometimes when I upload lots and lots of images, I already know the images I'm uploading, so I don't use the thumbnail. Therefore, each 'slot' takes up too much space, so I end up editing the bot.css file, changing the "height" value to 20, instead of 200.

Thanks! :biggrin:
JaGx

Post by JaGx »

Thanks for the praise Misael. I too hate the thumbnail thing, but its a problem with firefox, not imagebot. The best I could do is create 2 buttons for shrinking and expanding the row height (but thats a quickfix).

Firefox crops tree images instead of shrinking them. If it only shrunk them, the sizes of the rows could be relatively small, and the thumbnails would still be able to be recognized. I'll see if I can find the bug on buzilla ( I've seen it before).
Peregrino

Post by Peregrino »

And here is the Translation!!! I hope you like it ^^!! . By the way, its "Por Favor, traduce ImageBot al español" ;)

;) Peregrino

Spanish Translation of ImageBot:
<!--overlay-->
<!ENTITY overlay.float "Flotante">
<!ENTITY overlay.tab "Pestaña">
<!ENTITY overlay.help "Ayuda">

<!--tabs-->
<!ENTITY tabs.uploadCenter "Centro de Subidas">
<!ENTITY tabs.templateEditor "Editor de Plantillas">

<!--upload center-->
<!ENTITY upload_center.copy "Copiar">
<!ENTITY upload_center.copyTemplate "Copiar Plantilla">
<!ENTITY upload_center.delete "Eliminar">
<!ENTITY upload_center.selectAll "Seleccionar Todo">
<!ENTITY upload_center.myImages "Mis Imágenes">
<!ENTITY upload_center.filter "Buscar:">
<!ENTITY upload_center.enterRegExp "Ingrese una Expresión Regular">
<!ENTITY upload_center.clear "Limpiar">
<!ENTITY upload_center.thumbnail "Miniatura">
<!ENTITY upload_center.id "ID">
<!ENTITY upload_center.name "Nombre">
<!ENTITY upload_center.status "Estado">
<!ENTITY upload_center.size "Tamaño">
<!ENTITY upload_center.url "URL">
<!ENTITY upload_center.upload "Subir">
<!ENTITY upload_center.uploadImages "Subir Imágenes">

<!--template editor-->
<!ENTITY template_editor.add "Agregar">
<!ENTITY template_editor.save "Guardar">
<!ENTITY template_editor.delete "Eliminar">
<!ENTITY template_editor.templates "Plantillas">
<!ENTITY template_editor.name "Nombre">
<!ENTITY template_editor.moveUp "Subir">
<!ENTITY template_editor.moveDown "Bajar">
<!ENTITY template_editor.editTemplate "Editar Plantilla">
<!ENTITY template_editor.contents "Contenido">
<!ENTITY template_editor.separator "Separador">
<!ENTITY template_editor.preview "Vista Previa">
Last edited by Peregrino on October 15th, 2005, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
~MalditoCRC~ Fansub
Schuette

Post by Schuette »

Should this work on 1.0.7?

Cos it aint. =(
Peregrino

Post by Peregrino »

It happened the same to me T__T, I've modified the restrictions from the install.rdf so I could install it in the Firefox 1.0.7, but it Really doesn't work :(... I hope Jakee do something about this ^^!!

;) Peregrino
~MalditoCRC~ Fansub