[Needs Testing] Patch for Bug# 243078-Native Theme Rendering

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
twpol

Post by twpol »

I am not supporting any issues with the trunk landing, as I stated in the bug. A hacked-up copy of my patch was checked in to trunk against my will, and there have been reports of problems with it that simply did not occur with my real patch on branch. Sorry.
Last edited by twpol on October 14th, 2005, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOldMan

Post by TheOldMan »

I understand. Thanks for your reply.
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

twpol wrote:I'm really sorry about the back-out guys and gals, but I really don't have a choice.

To put it in american football terms it was one heck of a fourth quarter comeback attempt. You even had the go ahead score (the patch got checked in) but it got called back due to a penalty (darn regressions).
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

@twpol, Thanks for your hard efforts...my heart goes out to you, as you put in a lot of mid-night oil trying to get this right...

Thanks so much again..and I'm truly sorry it did not work out...
supergirl260

Post by supergirl260 »

i doubt this will make 1.5 final odds of it making it are 1 in 50
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

supergirl260 wrote:i doubt this will make 1.5 final odds of it making it are 1 in 50

It's not getting in. Period. There are too many regressions.

The progress made with this patch is nevertheless truly amazing. Awesome job.
supergirl260

Post by supergirl260 »

true if this much progess was made on acid 2 test it would be passed it will probly get into the firefox 1.5.1 version though
Jweb_Guru

Alas

Post by Jweb_Guru »

It's not making 1.5 final. It's got 1.8rc1-, James checked it out and I'm pretty sure everyone is resigned to it at this point.

James's going to concentrate on a proper fix on trunk. Anyone else who wants to help make this happen is welcome to (I am). There're some intrinsic problems with Mozilla that we have the time to fix before 2.0 so that this sort of thing doesn't happen again (e.g. bug 312509); we should try to fix those as well as (before?) the actual bug here.

In the meantime, I'd like to see the improper and temporary patch backed out of trunk, if only so that the Win9x users can use trunk again.
Jweb_Guru

Post by Jweb_Guru »

supergirl260 wrote:true if this much progess was made on acid 2 test it would be passed it will probly get into the firefox 1.5.1 version though

Who told you that? If you're talking about acid2, that's extremely unlikely, as it requires/d major architectural changes to Gecko. Trunk is rather broken right now because of just one of these checkins. 2.0 will have it, of course, but saying that 1.5.1 will is just silly.

If you're talking about native theme rendering, that might have been the case if it hadn't been for the various regressions, but as it is now there's no way to keep themes compatible between native themeless builds and native themeing builds, and there's no way in hell Mozilla is going to require every author to update his or her theme for a minor point upgrade.

This patch (the real patch) will be available in 2.0, as was scheduled in the first place.
Old Samson

Post by Old Samson »

Well that blows. Just when the thing started looking fixed too :(
Oh well. I guess I'll just have to go back to the hacked Qute theme someone put together since there is obviously no intention of removing the b0rked up one for the Luna fix either.
RyanVM

Post by RyanVM »

James, I'm glad to see you're still working on this even though you've been jerked around to put it nicely. Looking forward to trying out whatever you end up doing on the trunk :)
Loup LeBeau

Post by Loup LeBeau »

twpol wrote:There is a long way to go for this platform before it is properly good...

Hi James, thanks for the great work in the patch. I'd like to ask you: do you think the platform will be "properly good" by version 2.0? Is there a reasonable possibility that those problems will get fixed by then?
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It'll easily be fixed by 2.0. The only reason it didn't happen this time is that the motivation for fixing it properly was a patch which was already landing very late in the release cycle.

- Chris
tongle

Post by tongle »

Patches landing very late...sound familiar Thumper?
<b><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/f1254114/petition.html">Sign this petition if you want to help spread Firefox</a></b>
Loup LeBeau

Post by Loup LeBeau »

Thumper wrote:It'll easily be fixed by 2.0. The only reason it didn't happen this time is that the motivation for fixing it properly was a patch which was already landing very late in the release cycle.

Yes, I understand the bug will be fixed.

What I want to know is whether James expects this to happen by actually solving those deeper problems that were hinted at or merely by going around them.