Stylish 0.2.1 (Now with repository!)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
old np

Stylish 0.2.1 (Now with repository!)

Post by old np »

See here for the latest version of Stylish.

Stylish 0.2.1 has been released. Download here

What is Stylish?
Stylish is to CSS what Greasemonkey is to JavaScript. Stylish allows you to easily manage user styles for the application UI, all websites, or only certain websites. Stylish is better than using userChrome.css/userContent.css because styles are applied immediately instead of requiring a restart.

Supported applications
* Firefox 1.5 beta1 to 1.6a1 (trunk nightlies).
* Flock, all versions
* Thunderbird 1.5 beta to 1.6

Locales: de-DE, en-US, es-ES, fr, it, nl-NL, ja, pl-PL, ru-RU, sk-SK, zh-TW

New in 0.2.1
* Fixed conflict with Adblock.
* Removed multiple listings of the same style in the status bar.
* Removed bogus domain entries for IP addresses.
* Monospace CSS editing.
* sk-SK localization

Known issues
* If you delete all the styles, you can't add a new one without reopening the window
* Styles are not sortable
* You can turn on and then immediately turn off a style, but if you load a page after the application of a style, you can't instant unapply it.
* Instant apply has a slightly different priority than normal apply. As long as you use !important, it shouldn't be a problem.
* Some CSS properties don't instant apply well on some elements. This is especially true of XUL elements. I'd be interested in knowing what exactly doesn't work so I can file bugs on the problems.
* For some platforms/themes, checkboxes may not be too visible in the Manage Styles window when the style is highlighted.

Conflicts
* Stylish conflicts with Search Engine Ordering 0.5.2 and below. Make sure you have a newer version.

Possible future features
* If the first line of a style is comments, that should become the description of the style.
* Import userChrome.css and userContent.css
* Link to style repository
* The ability to edit existing -moz-document rules with a UI

Upgrade note
* To take full advantage of status bar icon, existing styles from 0.1 that use -moz-document should be re-saved (open the edit page and save it)
Last edited by old np on October 3rd, 2006, 1:18 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Oooh. Awesome. I've spent all night being annoyed by the fact that userContent hacks won't even reload changed images in the stylesheet rules without restarting the browser.

- Chris
Duke D

Re: Stylish 0.1 Released

Post by Duke D »

np wrote:next window open for UI instead of requiring a restart.

Wouldn't that pretty much be the same thing as restarting? Because if u have to open a new window the old one would not show changes it might not exactly be restarting but its just about the same thing isnt it?
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

BTW, it works on 1.4 (FF 1.5 Beta 1)

Nice extensions :)

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
old np

Post by old np »

Duke D wrote:
np wrote:next window open for UI instead of requiring a restart.
Wouldn't that pretty much be the same thing as restarting?

Almost the same if you're a single-window kind of guy... but it's very helpful to test changes. You can have the Stylish window open, add a chrome style, then open a new Firefox window to test it without closing the Stylish (or other) windows. If there was a way to make it apply immediately, I'd do it, but I know of no such way.

I'd like to increase the amount of styles available by default... If anyone has any suggestions (especially for styles that change popular websites), I'd be glad to include them.
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

np wrote:You can have the Stylish window open, add a chrome style, then open a new Firefox window to test it without closing the Stylish (or other) windows. If there was a way to make it apply immediately, I'd do it, but I know of no such way.

Code: Select all

OpenBrowserWindow();
BrowserTryToCloseWindow();

np wrote:I'd like to increase the amount of styles available by default... If anyone has any suggestions (especially for styles that change popular websites), I'd be glad to include them.

Last edited by Zoolcar9 on October 10th, 2005, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

old np

Post by old np »

Zoolcar9 wrote:

OpenBrowserWindow();

Wouldn't that wipe out every page the user is on?

Thanks for the style suggestions.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

General feedback (in no particular order):

1. It'd be lovely if you revived the style switcher icon in the status-bar for enabling/disabling custom site stylesheets when they're installed for the current site. I suspect most themes still ship with it.
2. #1 could be expanded in the future if you're considering a repository to let users know that a stylesheet is available for that site.
3. The enabled/disabled thing works, but checkboxes would probably be nicer UI (Thumper will probably yay or nay this later on).

Otherwise, nice job, I like it. This is something I was thinking about a while ago but never got round to and it works perfectly. Kudos.
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

np wrote:
Zoolcar9 wrote:

OpenBrowserWindow();

Wouldn't that wipe out every page the user is on?

Thanks for the style suggestions.

Oops! Sorry, I missed "(or-other)" when when read "without closing the Stylish (or other) windows" /zzz damn weed

I'm using session restore from TMP, though

old np

Post by old np »

Cusser wrote:1. It'd be lovely if you revived the style switcher icon in the status-bar for enabling/disabling custom site stylesheets when they're installed for the current site. I suspect most themes still ship with it.

Hmm... come to think of it, the stylesheet switcher doesn't require a reload to work... I'll look into that.
Cusser wrote:3. The enabled/disabled thing works, but checkboxes would probably be nicer UI (Thumper will probably yay or nay this later on).

I tried to make it checkboxes at one point but couldn't get them to work in the template. I'll try harder.
Zoolcar9 wrote:I'm using session restore from TMP, though

Perhaps I could see if a session restore extension exists, and if so, do what you've suggested.
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

Add confirmation to delete function because it made me cry when I accidentally pressed the delete button

this.deleteStyle = function() {
+    var confirmDelete = window.confirm('Are you crazy?');
+    if(!confirmDelete) return;
      var styles = this.getSelectedStyles();

old np

Post by old np »

I think I'm just going to change the position of the delete button to be further away from the rest to avoid accidental clicks. I hate "Are you sure" prompts.
old np

Post by old np »

Stylish 0.1.1 has been released.

Changes:
- Includes fr, it, es-ES, and nl-NL locales.
- Supports 1.5 beta1 along with beta2 and 1.6 alpha nightlies.
- Delete button moved away from other buttons to prevent accidental clicking.

Sure-clicking English users without an obsolete beta should not upgrade.
Last edited by old np on October 14th, 2005, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manc39

Post by manc39 »

Great stuff, np!

Worth noting also: Edit & Test Styles bookmarklets from squarefree.com <- experiment, and then save with Stylish.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b1) Gecko/20060712 BonEcho/2.0b1
old np

Post by old np »

I've fixed the localizations and added nl-NL (thanks RAF).