Extended wait time while "BUILDING SUMMARY FILE FOR INB

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ccsimring

Extended wait time while "BUILDING SUMMARY FILE FOR INB

Post by ccsimring »

After my computer crashed yesterday, every time I open Thunderbird there is a long wait while "building summary file for inbox" occurs. Any hints as to end this 5-7minute process?
Thanks,
CS
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

-> Which version of Thunderbird?
-> What operating system?
-> Do you have any extensions installed?
-> Do you use a theme other than the default?
-> What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
-> Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
-> Do you regularly compact your folders? It is strongly recommended. Check <<<b>this page</b>>> for more information on compacting folders.
-> You might also try deleting your INBOX.MSF file when Thunderbird is closed. MSF files are the mail folder index files and they will be rebuilt when Thunderbird is restarted. Look at <<this page>> for information on your Profile Folder and <<this page>> for information on the profile contents - Thunderbird's files, locations, etc. Make sure you have enabled the display of hidden files and directories. <<this page from Microsoft's knowledge base>> shows how.

Post by Guest »

ver: 1.5 beta 2
op sys: XP
mail: POP
service: ISP
Haven't ever compacted, may be too late for my inbox.

My inbox is now blank, showing no messages. It is still taking an extended time (5 mins plus) each time I boot Thunderbird and each time I click another mail acct, or mail folder and go return to my "inbox" folder, it repeats the extended "building summary file for inbox" routine. I deleted the .msf file and that didn't help. Any intel?

Post by Guest »

I am having the same problem. With no warning this started about 2 days ago. I reinstalled thunderbird but it still hangs for about 5 minutes. I can hit stop and check mail but the mail already in my inbox does not show up.
Thnderbird version 1.0.7
sector7g

Post by sector7g »

I've tried reinstalling and upgrading to the new beta version, with no luck. I cleaned my registry but still get the building summary file... message.

thunderbird 1.0.7
XP pro
pop
isp
helge.at

Post by helge.at »

See also http://kb.mozillazine.org/Inbox_stays_blank (Article might not be entirely correct - it's basically a copy from http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=301176), would be nice if somebody could amend if necessary.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

All: Please try compacting - reference the link I provided earlier. It really does solve some of these problems....
sector7g

Post by sector7g »

I'm not going to try to explain why this worked, but, I moved the index file out of profiles, renamed it, opened thunderbird without the inbox file. It still said "building inbox...". Then I moved the renamed file back into the profile folder and for some reason it worked.
esoom

Post by esoom »

i did more or less the same as sector7g and it seems to work. Just empty your inbox into a folder, exit thunderbird, and then delete the inbox file and restart thunderbird. A new inbox file seems to be created that is clean and works as normal.

Just to add; the old 'corrupted' inbox file was massive even though there were only a couple of emails in my inbox so that may indicate the problem.

compacting didnt work for me
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

Glad you guys solved it. Compacting on a regular basis should prevent it happening again.
Gord McFee
esoom

Post by esoom »

Is there any way of automating the compacting process - eg once a week?. I cant seem to find and option on the program but it would seem a useful thing if these problems are frequent.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

You can set compacting to alert you when your chosen threshhold for recoverable disk space is reached. Check the link I provided earlier.

Post by Guest »

wow you guys are quick! thanks... should have looked there before i asked i guess.
Sameproblem

Same problem - should be fixed in update

Post by Sameproblem »

I have the same problem. I have never had this on Mozilla's mailer. This really is something that should be fixed in the next update. Can someone pass this on to Thunderbird central. Thanks.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

To discuss, request and suggest features for future versions of Thunderbird, visit the Mozilla Thunderbird>Thunderbird Features forum.

You may also want to visit the Thunderbird Builds forum to see what's coming up in future versions and the Thunderbird Bugs forum to see what discussions you may find on this topic.

Also, visit Bugzilla to see if anyone has submitted a RFE/Bug report on this.