Thunderbird super slow no matter what I do..

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Deathspawner

Thunderbird super slow no matter what I do..

Post by Deathspawner »

This just started today, and it's only with Thunderbird. Even if I simply move an e-mail to another folder, the program will lag the entire program for a few moments. It doesn't matter wether I try to set a label, move an e-mail, or write an e-mail.. it does the same thing.

My TB folder is weighing in at 4GB, so I compacted a bunch of folders, but that doesnt' seem to help. Is there anything I can do before I decide to install Outlook?

Thanks!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Corruption becomes a risk when a large percentage of the messages stored in the folder are deleted, and gets worse the more messages that you store in the folder. Its not a immediate problem unless you get hundreds of new messages a day. However, a good rule of thumb is to compact your inbox folder once a day since it takes only a moment and it can be extremely aggravating/time consuming recovering a badly corrupted folder (i.e. one you can't fix by deleting inbox.msf).

Since compacting didn't work, try this:

Find and delete the inbox.msf file in your profile folder/Mail (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder#Thunderbird) for each account. You must have "View hidden files and folders on" http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272 and you need to set "hide extensions for known file types" off (just below View Hidden). If this doesn't work do the following on each account:

1. Move any mail in your Inboxes - that you want to retain - to subfolders of Local Folders.

2. Close down Thunderbird

3. Navigate to your Thunderbird Profile Folder on your system and DELETE all 'Inbox' and 'Inbox.msf' files. They will be rebuilt when you relaunch Thunderbird.
Deathspawner

Post by Deathspawner »

Thanks a ton! That seemed to work! I really appreciate the help :)
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You are very welcome. Glad it worked :-)
Rondou

Post by Rondou »

Thanks a lot too ! good tip !
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You're welcome. It's wonderful to get feedback from the quiet as well ;-)