[Ext] Gmail Manager 0.6.4.1 - Manage multiple Gmail accounts

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
tmlong

[Ext] Gmail Manager 0.6.4.1 - Manage multiple Gmail accounts

Post by tmlong »

Gmail Manager 0.6.4.1 - Get it now at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/gmail-manager/

The original Gmail notifier for multiple accounts. Allows you to receive new mail notifications along with viewing account details including unread messages, saved drafts, spam messages, labels with new mail, space used, and new mail snippets.

http://www.longfocus.com/firefox/gmanager/

What's new in 0.6.4.1 released 3/20/2011
- Fixed redirect URL encoding issue

Please check out my homepage as you may find other extensions that could prove useful =)

http://www.longfocus.com/firefox/

If you have any issues, comments, and/or suggestions please feel free to leave a post!

- TL
Last edited by tmlong on March 25th, 2011, 10:49 am, edited 37 times in total.
mugen

Post by mugen »

i cant logon to my account with this for some reason.
facted

Post by facted »

I cannot eitiher. It "imported" my accounts, but it doesn't seem to check them and the context menu is greyed out.

EDIT: I read the FAQ on your website which mentioned that if you were already logged in, everything would be greyed out (and I have gmail notifier enabled so that was the problem).

I would suggest that it would be nice if the menu wasn't greyed out if you were signed in to one account (so that by clicking on another account, you would be simply signing out and opening that other account). This would simply eliminate the step of clicking on "sign out" and then reopening the dialog to click on the account you'd like to open.

Good work though :)
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

Yes, be sure that Gmail Notifier is disabled or that you are currently not logged in with it as that would definitely interfer with this extension.

If you can't login be sure that your are currently signed out of Gmail (right click the statusbar and select 'Sign out of Gmail'). Make sure that your login/password combination are correct and then right click the statusbar and select your account to login. If you have more than one account you can select the login to all accounts option.

The reason why I grey the menu out is that when you physically login to your Gmail account any of your other accounts can't check for mail. If someone were to close the tab that was logged into Gmail without properly signing out the other accounts wouldn't be able to check for mail. So this way it reminds the person to Sign out of their account. I'm still working on ways around this like detecting when the last Gmail tab is closed and signing out or something along those lines.
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

tmlong: Just emailed you. Suffice it to say this is LONG overdue and thanks very much.

One request if possible - could there be OTHER than status bar alert? I don't show status bar. An icon draggable to single toolbar on top would be great. Also, password protection for reading actual mail, a la "ePrompter," which I deleted due to GMail problems and "phoning home."

Once again - thank you. Most people have more than one email these days - this is wonderful idea.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
facted

Post by facted »

I agree with paul's request for the icon along the toolbar along the top. Also, can you add functionality to "clear" the inbox once I click on it (after I have recieved a message). If not, it makes it difficult to know whether I have a new message or whether it is just a residual icon that hasn't yet been cleared (presumably bc the e-mail hasn't been checked again).

Thanks.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

Sounds like a good idea with adding a button to the toolbar (which I'll definitely add). The only problem is that displaying the account name and inbox count can take up a lot of room up there. I have a couple options:

1. Add an icon that is draggable anywhere and let it just take up that room (maybe have an option to not display the account name and only the inbox count)

2. Create a new toolbar where the icon can go and have the account info displayed there. This may be nice because then you can have the option to see all of your accounts as I was going to add this feature for the statusbar.

As with clearing the inbox from clicking the statusbar... I can add an option for that in the Prefs but they way it works now is that as soon as you log out of the account it automatically updates that count. If I do zero out the number and you check your email and don't read all of the emails then it will be displaying an incorrect number.

TL
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

Excellent. I vote for option 1 and a "#/inbox count"
Separate toolbar would be out for me - I have ONE toolbar. Even status bar as now would be preferable to that.

Add password protection to actually read mail OR:
1. we'll learn how to do that outside the extension, perhaps
2. Have it check mail although you're logged out - you'd have to log-in to actually read (which I believe is the case now anyway)
3. Have email names "custom entered" such as pf1, pf2, pf3 in prefs and not read full email address (which I belive is also the case now)

and we've got a sure winner. Thanks so much for your work; this will be a fantastic, small footprint (30k) extension that saves oodles of time for many!
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

Ok, separate toolbar is definitely out. I can handle the draggable icon with options for display account information or not.

Password protection as in re-entering the same password to check the mail after clicking the statusbar? I could have an option to popup a dialog box for entering the password since the account username is already displayed.

What exactly do you mean by "custom entered" names? Like have aliases for gmail accounts?

TL
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

tmlong:
1. Re: Custom entered names -- Correct. It would provide some "veiling" for people at work not wanting their personal and full email address displayed.

2. Re: Passworld protection -- that could be handled in different ways. In view of the fact that when I sign in to GMail, and sign out, and then bring up history sidebar and click on "GMail Inbox," - I'm right back IN the inbox without signing in again - even though I signed out. This is a GMail/FX/cookie glitch and nothing to do with your extension. I'm just thinking that your extension could correct that problem by requiring a password to view email.

The two steps above would provide all the functionality and usefulness of your extension AS WELL AS the security someone left "out." You'd be fixing two problems - checking multiple accounts AND providing a bit more "cloak" for privacy. This was the content of the email I sent you 2 days ago.

Thanks for your response & for listening! I'm looking forward to "loading it" in next couple of days; it will save me and I'm sure many other people a lot of time "re-checking multiples!" Thank you.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

paulfox,

I see what your saying about the sidebar history and clicking on 'Gmail Inbox' will take you to that last account that was signed in. I think this is a Gmail security flaw not Firefox because you are passing a not yet expired cookie in the url which is process by Gmail. I'll look into it more but this might be something hard to prevent unless Gmail doesn't allow cookies passed in via the url, this may need some more investigation.

TL
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

OK. The only cookie I allow from Google is "PREFS," but of course the cookie for GMail is stored until FX closes. You're right - I wonder if I don't allow that cookie do I get the familiar "Hey! You need cookies here" message - I'll try that (blocking GMail cookies). I don't see why it needs a cookie for secure https sign in anyway - but you're correct in that it's got nothing to do with FX or your extension. I know they need to be allowed for Google, and that's fine - but it would be nice to block the GMail one that allows re-entry, if possible. I realize it's not your concern at this point; you're making an ALERTER, not a BLOCKER! Thanks for all your work.

That's what I meant by you "fixing it," with a separate extension password. If it can't be done I see no reason to hold up your extension trying to fix a Google problem. I'll take the minor shortcomings of GMail, seeing that as a whole it just ROCKS. Your extension will make it even better.

Thanks.
Addendum: Here's the screenshot of GMail cookies, one in question highlighted in blue:
Removing that in Cookie Culler (which disallows resetting) - gets you "Cookies need to be enabled" message on refresh. I had to uncheck "don't allow cookies removed to be reset" in C/Culer, then go into FX options/cookies and remove "block Google." Apparently if you block one, you block 'em all. Rats.

While I'm sure Google will correct this over time (storing prefs is one thing but I don't believe they would want a "security glitch" like unauthorized sign-in possible) - it is interesting that simply clearing history solves the problem. That's aside from any "cookies." I think Google intend for you to be able to toggle back and forth from a custom Google Home Page to your email (which that cookie would facilitate).
Last edited by paulfox on October 23rd, 2005, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
facted

Post by facted »

tmlong wrote:As with clearing the inbox from clicking the statusbar... I can add an option for that in the Prefs but they way it works now is that as soon as you log out of the account it automatically updates that count. If I do zero out the number and you check your email and don't read all of the emails then it will be displaying an incorrect number.

TL

This is true, but I think many would personally prefer the assumption that when we click on inbox, we're reading all our messages. It's much worse, in my opinion, to have clicked on your inbox, seen the messges, and still have (for up to 10 minutes), a display telling you still have messages. That may or may not be true...

As for the toolbar option, i agree that it would be best to allow an option not to show the account name and just save the space. The name could be visible on the tooltip anyway.

I absolutely love the tooltip display, btw. It's very, very functional and very well done :)

One more question: If I am logged into an account, does it check my other accounts even if I do not log out of the account and I just close the tab instead?

EDIT: Would it also be possible to enable the "check mail now" option even when you're signed into an account? I'd like to be able to override the automatic timing sometimes. Thanks.
akaidiot

Post by akaidiot »

When I have alot of new messages I get irritated on the previewing of new mail blocking my access to tabs behind it. So is it possible to move up the preview popup over the tabs or down so it pops up from the screens bottom instead of firefox bottom. Or porhaps there could be a slim mode where it only covers the statusbar when previewing.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

paulfox wrote:While I'm sure Google will correct this over time (storing prefs is one thing but I don't believe they would want a "security glitch" like unauthorized sign-in possible) - it is interesting that simply clearing history solves the problem. That's aside from any "cookies." I think Google intend for you to be able to toggle back and forth from a custom Google Home Page to your email (which that cookie would facilitate).

Good point. I was going through my cookies and deleted a few and now that I did that I can't access my Inbox from selecting it from the sidebar, which is great! I'm going to look into this a little more but it may be as easy as deleting a specific cookie, which is easy to do. I can detect this when the user logs out and automatically clean up.

facted wrote:One more question: If I am logged into an account, does it check my other accounts even if I do not log out of the account and I just close the tab instead?

No, the extension won't check your other accounts until you sign out (because it will interfer with the logged in account). You do still remain logged in when the tab is closed. It is possible to add a feature to detect when the last Gmail tab is closed and then automatically sign out.

facted wrote:EDIT: Would it also be possible to enable the "check mail now" option even when you're signed into an account? I'd like to be able to override the automatic timing sometimes. Thanks.

That option is already there, just goto the popup menu and select 'Check accounts now' to check all the accounts or 'Check for mail now' to check the selected account.

akaidiot wrote:When I have alot of new messages I get irritated on the previewing of new mail blocking my access to tabs behind it. So is it possible to move up the preview popup over the tabs or down so it pops up from the screens bottom instead of firefox bottom. Or porhaps there could be a slim mode where it only covers the statusbar when previewing.

Yeah, I have noticed that as well. The extension right now uses the Mozilla builtin alert notification which is extremely limited in what it can do. I'm working on writing my own implementation which will allow for showing sender, subject, snippet, and allow for closing and going straight to your mailbox. Also, it will allow different placements on the screen as not to block other tabs and such.

TL =)