[Ext] Gmail Manager 0.6.4.1 - Manage multiple Gmail accounts

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
facted

Post by facted »

The whole menu is blacked out when I am logged into an account and I cannot choose "check for mail now". Is this not the behavior you see?
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

facted wrote:The whole menu is blacked out when I am logged into an account and I cannot choose "check for mail now". Is this not the behavior you see?
Yes, but why are you wanting to select 'check for mail now' when you are already logged in? Gmail automatically refreshes the page for you when new mail arrives.

TL
facted

Post by facted »

tmlong wrote:Yes, but why are you wanting to select 'check for mail now' when you are already logged in? Gmail automatically refreshes the page for you when new mail arrives.

TL

If I have closed the tab, (but not logged out), then it is not checking my mail constantly.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

facted wrote:
tmlong wrote:Yes, but why are you wanting to select 'check for mail now' when you are already logged in? Gmail automatically refreshes the page for you when new mail arrives.

TL

If I have closed the tab, (but not logged out), then it is not checking my mail constantly.
Right, you have to select 'Sign out of Gmail' from the popup menu and it will automatically update your accounts.
facted

Post by facted »

I know that. But if I am already signed in to one account, why would there be an issue checking the account for mail? I can see why "check all accounts" might be problematic (because then you'd have to sign in and out to check the other accounts). However, checking the one account I'm already in shouldn't be an issue, and there should be some ability to check the account's mail whenever you'd like (and not have to wait for the automatic checking).
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

I think there is some confusion here and I'll try and clear things up:

If you physically login to a Gmail account by either going to gmail.google.com or by clicking the statusbar to load Gmail into a new tab or window then the Gmail Manager extension basically disables/hibernates itself until it detects a Sign Out by either you clicking 'Sign Out' from the Gmail page or 'Sign out of Gmail' from the statusbar popup menu. The reason the extension hibernates like this is because if your logged into an account on Gmail and your checking mail or composing mail or whatever and the Gmail Cookies are being manipulated (which is what Gmail Manager does) then it will cause the Gmail page to load into another account or some weird behavior. So this is why you really can't do anything until you Sign Out because you are logged into ONE account doing what you need to do it that ONE account. The reason the extension can check multiple accounts when your not physically logged in is because of the way it manages the cookies.

and now onto your question's answer...

I understand what your saying about trying to check mail for the same account your physically logged into which is something I will implement for the next version. When you login to an account you will have all the regular options for that account still available in the popup menu. Also, I will add a feature to detect when the last Gmail tab is closed and to automatically sign you out of that account.

Does this help? I really want to help resolve this for you as I know it is frustrating the way it does some things and am trying to get this extension tweaked just right for everyone.

TL
facted

Post by facted »

Yes, your solution (both adding the functionality for that one account + detecting a closed tab) is great and I look foward to it :) Hopefully, both those functions will be options so people can choose their own functionality (esp. for the automatic logout), but it sounds good to me.

One other question: if I am logged in to one account, the auto e-mail checking for that ONE account is still enabled, correct?
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

facted wrote:One other question: if I am logged in to one account, the auto e-mail checking for that ONE account is still enabled, correct?
If you are logged in through the extension then YES, but if you goto gmail and login then NO (because that disables the extension for all checking).

TL
doron

Post by doron »

I've been working on a similar thing for my gmail notifier, and filed a bug (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=313414) on allowing one to do http connections without them setting cookies. A patch exists, but probably won't make Moz 1.8/FF1.5 since the cutoff was yesterday.
If you see a marquee, clap your hands!
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

This would solve a lot of headaches that I'm trying to go around right now with mine. Considering I basically disable the extension when the user goes to check his/her Gmail account for that reason of overwriting the cookie. Thanks for the heads up on the bug and will look forward to this being resolved.
doron

Post by doron »

Feel free to vote, might help getting it in.
If you see a marquee, clap your hands!
facted

Post by facted »

tmlong wrote:
facted wrote:One other question: if I am logged in to one account, the auto e-mail checking for that ONE account is still enabled, correct?
If you are logged in through the extension then YES, but if you goto gmail and login then NO (because that disables the extension for all checking).

TL

This does not seem to be the case. I "logged in" simply by clicking on the icon. I set the checking for 2 minutes, and I sent myself an e-mail via IE and the message has not come up. If I choose "log in from this account", the message appears. However, while I'm stuck in one account, the auto-check is not working which is a big problem for this extension (I think).

You don't see this behavior on your system?
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

facted wrote:This does not seem to be the case. I "logged in" simply by clicking on the icon. I set the checking for 2 minutes, and I sent myself an e-mail via IE and the message has not come up. If I choose "log in from this account", the message appears. However, while I'm stuck in one account, the auto-check is not working which is a big problem for this extension (I think).

Not seeing that behavior, I tried your exact steps and received the new message update just fine. The auto-check trigger is fired the same from both of those methods ("clicking the icon" or "selecting login selected account"). Please let me know if you are still experiencing this problem.

I'm going to have an update out either tonight or tomorrow addressing some problems:
- icon placement
- no more greyed out menu
- option for secured/unsecured connection
- option to hide account username next to icon
- and a few others...
facted

Post by facted »

I think we're not on the same page. I'm not clicking the icon or logining on a selected account in order to trigger the auto-check. I am ALREADY logged into an account and I am simply waiting (passively) for any new messages to appear, which they are not appearing. I have the time interval set to 2 minutes in the preferences (only for this test), and yet the message simply does not come up as being new, until I sign out of the account (even though the message was for that same account I was logged into). I can understand the inability to check the 2nd account while logged into the first, but the auto-check should work for the 1st account if you're logged into that account at the same time.

Thanks.
Maybe the new version will change things.
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

Yes, like I said in a previous post, with the current version, whenever you login into Gmail ALL accounts are suspended until you Sign Out (including the same account your logged into). You will get updates in Gmail but not in the extension. I will be adding this so that whenever you login into Gmail it will continue auto-check for that same account. Hope this answers you. Thanks.