Profile in use, lost bookmarks, other bookmark questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Egbun

Post by Egbun »

I bought a new computer. I just want to transfer my Firefox bookmarks from the old computer, to the new one. All I found on FAQ was that its tricky and not for beginners (which I am). Have I missed an easy solution to what seems an easy problem somewhere?
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Egbun, Hi!

If you really only wish to move over your bookmarks, open the Firefox containing your bookmarks and goto bookmarks > manage > file > export and save the file. Move it to the new computer. Start the target Firefox and goto bookmars > manage > file > import > from file and point it to the file. Not too complicated, eh?

(You might want to move over all your settings. That would mean copying over the whole profile. And if you include subfolders in the profile, you'll need to correct paths in chrome/chrome.rdf. It's not exactly difficult either.)
Egbun

Post by Egbun »

Thanks FatJohn moving the bookmarks from computer A to computer B worked just like you said it would. What else of value is in the profile that's worth moving?
Fadi

Post by Fadi »

when i double clicked on firefox it said i couldnt use my current profile (which was default) and in panic i created a new profile and then i relized that all of my bookmarks :'( disappeared so then i thought it had something to do with firefox and then i reinstalled my firefox.And when i ran firefox i then saw that i had a default profile (which had none of my bookmarks in it) and the profile i created. i then looked in bookmarks.html (in document&settings/ibm/mozilla) and my bookmarks werent there. i tried searching for my bookmarks on my pc and i cant find it. can anyone help? those bookmarks were soooooo important to me :(
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Egbun, nice to hear you managed to do it. Your profile contains all your settings, like cookies, and permissions you've set for different domains to for example display pictures or set cookies. Take a look at these links for information on what's in one's profile. (the one setting that's outside profile are the search engines, they're in your installdir/searchplugins. they also will be in the profile in Firefox 1.5)

http://gemal.dk/mozilla/files.html
http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?tit ... he_profile

Fadi, exit Firefox and type firefox -p to start > run. Select default profile. That's where your bookmarks and other stuff should be. If you ever see that profile manager dialog again, don't make a new profile, but exit the dialog and hit ctrl+alt+del and start task manager and there kill firefox.exe. Now it should start normally. It's not known what causes it to remain in memory. Firefox 1.5 will be smarter about this.

Post by Guest »

FatJohn i am already using my default profile but all my bookmarks arent there :(
Fadi

Post by Fadi »

opps that was was me and anymore suggestions would b appreicated
thanx
fadi
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Well, your bookmarks are (were?!) in bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak (automated backup copy) files in your profile folder. Try importing all them to some Firefox profile to see if any of them contains your bookmarks. How many profiles do you have? http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#locate

Post by Guest »

FF 1.0.7 keeps collapsing my Bookmarks Toolbar, closing & re-opening FF restores it.
TheDragonMaster

Post by TheDragonMaster »

Have been using firefox 1.0.7 for a while (specifically portable firefox if it makes a difference) and have collected a large number of bookmarks. I have it installed on three different jump drives and finally sat down to get all the bookmarks set on each version of firefox. When I tried to import the bookmarks, it didn't do anything that I could see, though looking at the bookmarks.html file later showed me that they had been added on just were not being read by firefox. When I manually adjusted the file (making sure to use the formatting it already was using) Firefox wouldn't open. When I had all the bookmarks in one file the file was about 47mb, but when I trimmed it down Firefox suddenly worked again. Is there an upperlimit to how large the bookmarks.html file can be? Or is there some other problem that I haven't seen yet?
Fadi

Post by Fadi »

dammmmmmmm :( i did a stupid thing i made sum new profiles and i think that it must have overlapped the old profile therefore all of myh bookmarks are gone

Post by Guest »

i found the bookmarks. list I am doing anything. just loging back into the internet and my bookmarks are good I am sick this it takes for for ever to get all back.
and I don't have terms metnions osdafjtg0ids ijo .. mad.

Post by Guest »

Which problem did you experience... profile corruption/loss or only bookmark loss?
Profile Loss

Did this happen after a Firefox crash?
Onle firefox crashed

Did your computer crash, or did this occur after a normal shut down?
Neither, middle of the day. all other programs were fine

Was Firefox open when your computer crashed or was shut down?
Only Firefox crashed

What operating system do you use (and which version)?
XP Pro

What is the filesystem of your hard drive(s)? (how to find out)

What version of Firefox/Firebird were you using when your bookmarks were lost or your profile was corrupted?
Most recent with the adblock and pdf plugins

If you upgraded Firefox versions, did you create a new profile or upgrade using the old one? (if you don't know, chances are you upgraded, but please say that you are unsure)
did not upgrade on the day of the crash

If you upgraded an old profile, what version of Firefox/Firebird did you originally use?

Did you lose other files or settings in other applications (including non-Mozilla)?
NO

Do you use or have you installed any bookmark-related extensions?
no
ChristophM

Added bookmarks lost after browser restart

Post by ChristophM »

My computer crashed, but luckily I had a backup of my Firefox (1.0.5) settings, bookmarks etc.
After installing Firefox (1.0.7) on my new computer (WindowsXP), I simply copied the old bookmark.html file in my new profile folder to replace the new and empty one. Since then every time I try to add a new bookmark, the browser creates two new bookmark files named "bookmark-x.html" (x=1,2,3 and so on) but the bookmarks do not appear in the list when I restart the browser.
What can I do to fix the problem?
And no, the original bookmark.html is not writeprotected.
Thanx

Post by Guest »

I loost my bookmarks twice,really what i lost is my user profile because y lost the configuration,skin,bookmarks,i just shut dow the computer and when i open firefox again all is gone,is the second time i lost my configuration :( what can i do? i want to use firefox but it's the second time :(