Addressing problems, and Forum search

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
usernamealreadytakentwice

Addressing problems, and Forum search

Post by usernamealreadytakentwice »

I cannot get an address entry from my "contacts" window entered as an address for an email I compose. Neither highlighting an addressbook entry and left clicking on the "add to" button, or "add to Cc" button will do it, nor right clicking on an entry and choosing any of the drop down menu selections will add an address. The only way I am able to address mail is by beginning to type an address in the "To:" area, and selecting one from the drop down selection that appears.

Also, is there an easy way to search the forum for questions already asked, and answered?

And..... my email address is <removed by moderator SKopischke> , user name: sehyah. I couldn't retrieve password, or use this user name.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

You don't want to post your e-mail address in these forums. They are public and nefarious surfers are always looking for a valid e-mail address. Just let me know and I will remove it from your post.

Are you saying you registered with the username "sehyah" but are unable to log in with that username?

Regarding the addressing problem:
-> Which version of Thunderbird?
-> What operating system?
-> Do you have any extensions installed?
-> Do you use a theme other than the default?
-> What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
-> Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
usernamealreadytakentwice

Post by usernamealreadytakentwice »

go ahead and remove my email address.

Yes I registered with username "sehyah", and am unable to login with that username.
I will answer other questions shortly.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

I removed your e-mail address and activated your account. You should now be able to log in with the password you originally entered.

Post by Guest »

I need help finding version. I downloaded 5/19/05
XP
No extensions
Default theme
POPI
It's not web based. I have DSL through a large phone company. i have two mail accounts, one using a small private server, for outgoing mail, and one using rented space on a larger server.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

The version information is located in Help>About.

-> Do you regularly compact your folders? It is strongly recommended. Check <<<b>this page</b>>> for more information on compacting folders.
-> Do you keep a large number of messages in your Inbox? It's not a particularly good idea and has been seen to induce problems.

Post by Guest »

Version 1.0.2
I don't compress folders - don't know how . But I have very few messages, and had this problem from the very beginning of using the program.
I have about 40 messages in my inbox
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Compact, not compress. Two different things. Look at the link SKopischke gave you about how to.

Post by Guest »

I did compress the folders - took about 1/3 a second
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

Check the link on compacting folders. Also, compact regularly - don't forget to take Thunderbird offline first.

You may also want to update to version 1.0.7, since 1.0.2 is getting a bit old.

Post by Guest »

I am sorry. Being on the phone, I missed the link before replying, and did "compact" the folders.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

A new profile might be the solution. Sometimes profiles get corrupt and that can lead to all kinds of odd things happening. Check <<<b>this page</b>>> for information on Thunderbird profiles. You can merge profiles, however, in the hopes that you can have the best of both. <<<b>This page</b>>> is the FAQ for doing so.

Post by Guest »

Though somewhat "interesting," it's more in the realm of discouraging. I have created another user profile which solved the (outgoing) addressing problem, but in the new profile, I have a new problem.

I am using two email accounts. When cokposing an email in the original profile, I can use the drop down list to choose which of the two accounts I want to be sending from. However, even though I have the two accounts set up in the new profile, I cannot use one of them to mail from (at least not by selecting from the drop down list (as it does not even sho up there, and also cannot be typed in).

As an experiment, I created a third user profile, with the same two email accounts. The third profile behaves axactly as the first one (the default profile) I can use the drop down for choosing which account to send from, but again, cannot put in addresses from the contact window.
sehyah

Post by sehyah »

No more thoughts on this one? (Sorry about the poor typing above)
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

In the first new profile, did you set up multiple SMTP servers?