[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Yikes.

Well, not having a G3 or a G4 7400 to test on, I can't verify that myself.

Anyone else? If I get more reports along those lines, I'll take them down.
Sir Ohziss

Post by Sir Ohziss »

Yep, first it does the extensions update, I cancel out of it and it never launches successfully again.. this on a 7400 G4 (Digital Audio) and Tiger 10.4.2.

Please kind sir, remember us 7400 peons that are too poor to buy processor upgrade cards,,
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Hm. That's totally strange. Well, I guess my source tree could be bolloxed, but I don't think I can check out Beta 2 again. I suppose I could just roll fresh branch builds for every arch. Would that suffice?
mbtoloczko

Post by mbtoloczko »

elfurbe wrote:...I suppose I could just roll fresh branch builds for every arch. Would that suffice?

ok by me. :-)
cvoelker

Post by cvoelker »

Hello,

I have the same problem as Sir Ohziss and mbtoloczko on G4/AGP 350 MHz 576 MB Ram MacOS X 10.3.9.
Beta2 (7400) ist not starting up when I copy it to the local disk. It started up to the point where it checks for extensions updates when I double click it on the mounted disk image. It does so only once and it ommits the stage where the previous version noted that it had disabled my extensions (Web Toolbar and such stuff).
I moved my ~/Library/Applications Support/Firefox folder to Firefix to force the creation of a new profile and I restarted my machine when I got the message that there was one instance of firefox still running (though this instance was invisible in the Dock and when typing ps -aux in the Terminal).
The console log in the Firefox Folder says that it stops in in sanitize.js line 304 with no data available. This file seems to be part of browser.jar, so I did not bother to read any further to find out what it is doing at that point actually. Tell me what I might check furthermore to fix this situation.
One more request: Is it possible to change the layout in such a way, that searchplugins go to the Profile folder? It is a boring task to copy them from my former copy by opening up the Package each time a new version is out. Ah, and Thanks for building the 7400 Trunk.
Sir Ohziss

Post by Sir Ohziss »

Posting with your latest build now.. works like a charm on my dual 7400 G4.. thanks muchly!
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Excellent! There must have been something wrong in my Beta 2 sources then. Glad to see it's up and running properly now.
Sir Ohziss

Post by Sir Ohziss »

BTW, are the 7447 chips found in some new accelerator cards considered part of the 7450 family or the 7400 family?

Just wondering in case I ever get one of those MacSales accelerators..
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

7450, counterintuitively.

The 744x series improved on the execution core of the 745x, but stripped the L3 cache, and so that somehow leads to a number lower than the precursors. Who knows. :)
handymac

Post by handymac »

Señor Furbe,

Your "Which Build do I choose?!" page is very informative and helpful, however there is one inaccuracy: It may be so that 533MHz & up G4 CPU upgrades for desktop Macs (which I'm not familiar with, being a PowerBook type) are sure to be the '7450' series (i.e. 744x), but the popular 550MHz upgrades offered by several vendors (Daystar, FastMac, Wegener) for the PowerBook G3 'FireWire' (a.k.a. 'Pismo') are 7410s, as the 744x models won't fit on the CPU board.

Another question: Are optimized builds of Thunderbird still being made? A link I had to a .Mac page is dead.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Heavy on that Señor part. :D

Page updated. I think my wording must have been a little unclear. What I meant to say at the end was that if your G4 was a stock Apple G4 over 533Mhz, it was a 7450-series. I've altered the wording, hopefully making that clearer.

Optimized T-Birds I'm not sure about. I never got into building T-bird, though there's no good reason why. I suppose I don't have a spiffy icon, so unless MacGeneral wanted to turn out another exceedingly sweet icon for TB, I couldn't, in good conscience, ship a build that had that hideous blue-flames icon... :) I'm not sure who was even building them. If I had my own build machine, I'd just toss that in the queue for overnight as well, but alas, I've yet to find a suitable replacement. I hope to afford a G5 before the Intel switch, and then also afford a Mac Mini once they get Pentium-Ms in them (if they put a celeron in the Mini I will weep openly). This is a dream I have, based very loosely on possible economic states, and should not be taken as any sort of short-term prediction. :)
quwax

return key doesn't work

Post by quwax »

double post, becaue of php error ... sorry
Last edited by quwax on November 4th, 2005, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quwax

return key doesn't work

Post by quwax »

when entering something in searchfield for google or whatever engine is configured the enter-key doesn't work, which means that the whole feature is not working.

all the best
quwax
kodeen

Post by kodeen »

I tried your 1.5 beta2 build for 7450 shortly after rc1 was released, and then tried to upgrade through the new update feature, but it didn't work. Will unofficial builds support updates this way, or do they require downloading entire builds? either way, keep up the good work!