Profile in use, lost bookmarks, other bookmark questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ksmoot

Post by ksmoot »

HELP!! i, too, have lost all my bookmarked pages. don't know exactly when it happened, went to to to a bookmark, and found they were all gone! can i get them back? also, i have since added new ones - can i get the old ones back w/out losing the new ones?

sorry if this is such a nuisance questions, but i did try what was advised to others above, to no avail...

Post by Guest »

Please I have very little time cause I'm in the middle of an urgent translation job and I'm having the "bookmarks problem" just as described above. Is anyone available and can anyone guide me as you guide a 4 years old??? E-mail adress: anatati_b@yahoo.com. YahooMessenger ID: anatati_b

Thank you!
shakin360

Post by shakin360 »

Hi there, I've had the profile problem once before, but has since been resolved. Today I had a different problem. I opened firefox today and most of my bookmarks are missing. I still have some that go from A-C withe a few missing, but C-Z there is nothing. I've checked my bookmarks in the profile and it has the same thing. One interesting thing is for one of my profiles (pretty old) the bookmark file is 50K in size, and my normal profile is much larger at 129kb, but has most of my bookmarks missing, like I described above. As far as I know nothing happened, as far as a crash or anything. Is there any hope of recovering them?
hellene

Post by hellene »

shakin360 - do a search for hidden files called *bookmark*.* (with all the wildcards), see if that turns up a file with them in.

Guest - we can't describe it any simpler. Also, you might like to not post your email in a regular format (unless you like spam)

ksmoot - if you can find files containing bookmarks, you can import them via Bookmarks Manager (file>import>from file)
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
kjboatright

Post by kjboatright »

I too have lost all of my bookmarks. They were here last night, this morning they are not. I tried do a search for *bookmark*, but it didn't find anything.

Any ideas?
hellene

Post by hellene »

kj - has anything else changed (eg your extensions not working) and, most important, did you search for HIDDEN files called *bookmark*.* with all the wildcards.

Post by Guest »

wow, why do you guys delete posts that speak the truth, are you trying to hide something?
hellene

Post by hellene »

guest, I and others keep splitting your post because of the foul language you persist in using. If you want to ask a support question, please do so in respectable words.

Post by Guest »

How do I create a profile in Firefox? I have lost all of my recently added bookmarks. It sucks!!
Guest_77

Post by Guest_77 »

Just a quick question about the bookmarks toolbar.

I leave firefox open for long periods in a minmized state and when I return and maximize the browser, the bookmarks toolbar has condensed all the way to the left side leaving me only a >> to access the folders and links. If I close the browser and re-open everything is fine.

Just curious if this was a bug or just an annoyance.
skiluva

same problem

Post by skiluva »

FatJohn wrote:So, reboot and type firefox -p to start > run. Then select default profile and start. Got em back?

It's not known what causes that, that's why there's no explanation. But next time you see that dialog, hit exit. Than start task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and kill firefox.exe process. Then start and it should use your profile.

Where do you type firefox -p into? And how can you select default profile?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Start -> Execute
Type in "cmd" and press Return/Enter
In the opening window type"firefox -p"
Jenxi

Post by Jenxi »

Hi, I recently had a hard disk failure but I managed to rescue the profile folder from the old hard disk. I have a new hard disk now and I tried backing up the profile folder I had. It doesn't seem to be working. Is it a case of different Firefox installations on different hard disk that prevents me from restoring the profile or is there a way around the problem?
Jenxi

Post by Jenxi »

I found my way round the problem. I just had to rename the file paths in the chrome.rdf file. Cheers.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Jenxi, current versions of Firefox use absolute paths in the chrome.rdf files. The 1.5 release uses relative paths, which should make it easier to copy profiles.