New Experimental Tabbed Browsing Builds

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds

New Experimental Tabbed Browsing Builds

Post by ******** »

New Experimental Builds with improved tabbed browsing features!

WARNING: Create a new testing profile to use with these UNSTABLE EXPERIMENTAL builds!

Builds here (only for Win32):
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... 110313.exe

the corresponding Bugzilla bug:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=308396

Ben Goodger's input on this topic:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009210.html

Commentary on the above entry:
http://www.beltzner.ca/mike/archives/20 ... _tabs.html

Link Targeting info on the Mozilla Wiki:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Link_Targeting
Last edited by ******** on November 6th, 2005, 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Shrug, I just middle click on the tabs to close them so no real improvement there. In fact it's a bit worse because I can't just double click on the empty space next to a tab to create a new one.
facted

Post by facted »

not 100% sure what the point of the new builds is. Can't you change around these functions as it is with something like tab mix plus?
Old RPGM35

Post by Old RPGM35 »

Any reason why there is no zip build?
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

facted wrote:not 100% sure what the point of the new builds is. Can't you change around these functions as it is with something like tab mix plus?

The point is for people to trial this as the new default behaviour. If enough positive feedback is received, it may become the default behaviour in the future. Unless a dedicated extension were used for this purpose, something like TabMix would provide too many options and would result in feedback that may not be related to the desired changes.
Last edited by BenBasson on November 5th, 2005, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

TabMix Plus is all you need. Its the 'BMW' of Tab Control/Enhancement extensions. With TabMix Plus you have all the control one would ever need to completly enjoy tab-browsing.

I think, they should do a google study on 'How people use Bookmarks' instead..and cook up something really cool for bookmarks. Better orginization methods, multi-columns, better implementation of FavIcons...just to name a few of the 'heavy-hitter' complaints that revolve around bookmarks.

Other than learning to use tabs for the first time when exposed to Firefox, you see very few complaints or requests for changes that are easily available thru several 'tab' extensions that can satisfy all users.

My 2 cents.
canuckerfan

Post by canuckerfan »

^exactly. the whole point of extensions is to further a feature's bare-bone abilities. this would simply "bloat" firefox for those that don't browse with tabs. however, I guess any development is good development.
Jus

Post by Jus »

I like the close button's behaviour. There's mcm's regression though and I think they really should add the new tab button to the toolbar by default.

When a new tab is opened in the foreground by any operation (targeted link, external application link, Ctrl+T, etc.), set the new tab's "owner" to be the tab that opened it. When the user closes it, select the owner, not the next adjacent.

This doesn't seem to be in this build though.
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

I tested these build and was very neutral about them. Is it easier to find the close button? Maybe.

One thing I did not like, however, is when multiple tabs have the close button. This makes it too easy to accidently close a background tab when switching tabs. Instead, only the focused tab should have a close button. Plus, middle-clicking still works for the "advanced" users who want to close background tabs.

My two cents.

CH
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Crap. I keep getting an error. Sorry for the multiple replies....

CH
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

TabMix Plus can be set to only show the 'close' button on the tab when moused over..
RaiseMachine

Post by RaiseMachine »

mcm_ham wrote:In fact it's a bit worse because I can't just double click on the empty space next to a tab to create a new one.

You can do this in the latest Trunk (1.9a1) builds. Very nice little feature IMO and I hope it stays...
"Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural ?" - Bill Hicks
"Money is the Schrodinger's Cat of economics." - Robert Anton Wilson
"It's not a bug, it's two features having a fight in the pub car-park." - Me
RaiseMachine

Post by RaiseMachine »

James wrote:
RaiseMachine wrote:
mcm_ham wrote:In fact it's a bit worse because I can't just double click on the empty space next to a tab to create a new one.

You can do this in the latest Trunk (1.9a1) builds. Very nice little feature IMO and I hope it stays...

If your referring to the "double click on the empty space next to a tab to create a new one" feature, that feature has existed for a long time now.
Yes it was, and yes I know it has...
"Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural ?" - Bill Hicks
"Money is the Schrodinger's Cat of economics." - Robert Anton Wilson
"It's not a bug, it's two features having a fight in the pub car-park." - Me
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

JFEI, TBP will _not_ work right with these builds - if there is demand I will adapt the extension to work with these builds.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
rschultz2002

Post by rschultz2002 »

I think Tab Mix Plus should be the default in Firefox. Anyways I do not use a close button for closing tabs. I use Middle Mouse Click or the Close Tab in the Main Context Menu courtesy of TMP.
Last edited by rschultz2002 on November 6th, 2005, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.