Importing AOL Favorite Places to Bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gwang

Importing AOL Favorite Places to Bookmarks

Post by gwang »

Recently I've had people ask me for a way to convert their AOL favorites to Firefox. After the initial crop of programs found in my online search failed to properly convert them, I found the solution, so I thought I'd share the process here, for others who might need it.

1. Save your AOL favorites. In your AOL interface, go to Favorites > Favorite Places > Save/Replace. This will save your AOL favorites to a .pfc file. Remember where you saved this.
  2. Go to LinkaGoGo. Make sure that the input is AOL PFC and the output is Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox.
  3. Click the "Browse" button and find the .pfc file you saved earlier.
  4. Click on the "Convert" button. You should be prompted to save the bookmarks.html file. Remember where you saved this, as well.
  5. Open Firefox's Bookmark Manager (Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks)
  6. From the File menu, choose Import. Then find the bookmarks file you just saved.

Post by Guest »

Any idea how to do this on a Mac?
gwang

Post by gwang »

I assume you can save your AOL favorites as .pfc files on Macs... and import .htm files for your bookmarks?

You may want to try the other AOL PFC option they have, and see if it works.
varnishgal

Post by varnishgal »

HOORAY! I am brand new to Firefox, and nearly illiterate, computer-wise, but this was my question, and I found your answer, and it worked like a dream. Thanks!

Post by Guest »

po

Post by Guest »

i"m not sure how this thread is even relevant. Bookmarks-or favorites as they are known in AOL parlance--can be imported into Thunderbird (mozilla) as part of thunderbird simply check out mozilla.org for links to the instructions which are easy.

The difficulty with AOL mail is importing the old email (email no longer accessible via the server) into Thunderbird. The "fix" listed above will do NOTHING to aid you in importing AOL mail....just he favorites.

I have yet to find free software that will allow importing of AOL PFC files (including email) into thunderbird. Connected software http://www.connectedsw.com/Overview/57266 has such software--but, it is not free.

If anyone knows of a way to import my 1,000s of AOL emails accumulated over years--please post this here. The current post offers zero help to this end. thank you.
Guest203514

Post by Guest203514 »

http://www.grohaz.com/ExportAOLPFC.htm

It doesn't keep the mail organized, but it will at least get your email for you.
guest new

Re: Importing AOL Favorite Places to Bookmarks

Post by guest new »

It is relevant too people like me who saved their aolpfc in than got rid of aol in didn't know how to reopen them or even what they were. Thank You So Much gwang You just made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!