Color blocks disappeared from web pages

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
JeanneDonovan

Color blocks disappeared from web pages

Post by JeanneDonovan »

One day all web sites I visited looked normal; the next day, those same pages had lost some of their colored graphics. For example, go to http://www.fidelity.com and look at the top banner and side column. When the browser is working, you will see colored blocks in different shades of green and gray. All I see now in Firefox is text and box outlines.

I've checked your forum for advice, which leads me to believe the problem is with extensions or themes. If that's the case, I don't understand the instructions. What "cd"?

....on Mac OS X, run:

cd /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/
./firefox-bin -safe-mode

How do I correct the problem?
hellene

Post by hellene »

I think it means at the command line prompt....I'm a gatesgoo girl myself, but you can get Windows to give you a command line prompt that looks like C:\

if you then type in the name of an executable instruction, it runs the instruction. There is something similar on a Mac, but I'm afraid I don't know how you get to it.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
JeanneDonovan

Post by JeanneDonovan »

Thanks for the attempt to help. I'm still searching through the help menu, but no results yet.

I have discovered that there are NO extensions and only the basic theme in my Firefox/Mozilla folder. Was there never an extension, or did one somehow go missing, resulting in the missing color fields?
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

There are no extensions by default. Does the error fix itself if you simply refresh the page (Cmd+F5)?
JeanneDonovan

Post by JeanneDonovan »

Thanks for replying. Refreshing never changed anything.

Pleased to report that I resolved the problem. Recently, I wanted my visited links to change color, so I went to Preferences to attempt to fix that. Since my Visited and Unvisited Link boxes already had colors in them, I thought the problem might be solved by clicking the box that says "always use my colors." It didn't solve the hyperlink problem, so I forgot about it and went on to other things. Now that I've gone back in to Preferences and unchecked that box, web site background colors have returned!

However, I still can't get my link colors to change. Does this mean there's a bug in that Preference button?
Lost User 172444

Post by Lost User 172444 »

Interesting, as I think this is my problem and I was searching the Forum for a solution!

All my website links are blue and underlined. When I first started to use Fitefox about a month ago these would change to a purple colour once I had visited the site (just as it used to in Opera). Now for some reason that has ceased to happen.

I have checked the Tools>Options>General>Fonts & Colours setting and my visited links are shown as purple.

Any suggestions would be wellcome.

Steve
hellene

Post by hellene »

SteveSee, since you are a Windows user, have you changed your Windows theme in any way?

Post by Guest »

No, not that I am aware of.

Interestingly I had a look at my laptop and it is working just fine on that, which at least proves that it's my computer at fault and not Firefox.......

Could I have deleted a vital cookie or something? I have done a bit od housekeeping!

Steve
hellene

Post by hellene »

Firefox doesn't rely on the site offering a cookie to track whether a link has been accessed or not. You haven't got your History (tools>options>history) set to 0 have you. One of the odd side effects of that is that the browser can no longer tell whether a link has been visited.
Lost User 172444

Ooops, forgot to log in!
Lost User 172444

Aaaaah, that's it!!

I did change that the other day.

Well done and many thanks for the prompt response.

Steve
hellene

Post by hellene »

You're welcome :)