Portable Thunderbird 1.5 RC1 Released (USB Friendly)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
CritterNYC

Portable Thunderbird 1.5 RC1 Released (USB Friendly)

Post by CritterNYC »

I've released an update version of Portable Thunderbird based on the new 1.5 RC1 release. This new version adds in support for more extensions and complete support for GPG and Enigmail out-of-the-box. There's even a preconfigured version with both included available for download.

For the unfamiliar, Portable Thunderbird allows you to carry your whole email client and all your contacts with you on an iPod, USB thumbdrive, portable hard drive or any other portable media. You can plug it right into any Windows computer and use it just like you would on your own. It is a repackaged version of the Thunderbird designed with portability in mind, so it has all the same great features, but there's nothing to install.

Portable Thunderbird Release Candidate 1:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_thunderbird/

An comments or suggestion are much appreciated and can be made right in this thread.
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
Lost User 144014

ini file

Post by Lost User 144014 »

Hello

I have installed 1.5RC1 (portable) and its working fine. One question; I read in the README file I can disable the splash screen by changing the portablethunderbird.ini file. The .ini file I have isn’t in the same as in the README file; I am missing the splash screen line. Am I perhaps looking in the wrong plane?

Thanks,
Bill
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Howdy Bill,

Just add it into the example INI as outlined in the Readme file and then place it in the same directory as PortableThunderbird.exe. It was just added for the RC1 release and the example INI hadn't yet been updated.

Regards,
John
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
AZJerry

PTB crashes

Post by AZJerry »

I have a problem where TB keeps crashing with an error
"The instruction at 0Xffffff4d" referenced memory at "0Xffffff4d". The memory could not be "read"."
I first noticed this with Portable Thunderbird 1.5b1 and it's happening more often with PTB 1.5RC1. It may have been happening with earlier PTB versions. It happens at random times when I'm doing different things. Any ideas?

Jerry
CritterNYC

Re: PTB crashes

Post by CritterNYC »

AZJerry wrote:I have a problem where TB keeps crashing with an error
"The instruction at 0Xffffff4d" referenced memory at "0Xffffff4d". The memory could not be "read"."
I first noticed this with Portable Thunderbird 1.5b1 and it's happening more often with PTB 1.5RC1. It may have been happening with earlier PTB versions. It happens at random times when I'm doing different things. Any ideas?

It's usually a hardware issue. Either the portable device itself or its connectivity to the host. Try running a fresh copy of PTB locally. If it works fine, then it's either your device or the connectivity. Sometimes, reformatting the device can help (just be sure to copy everything off first). Or, it could be a memory issue on the actual PC as well.
AZJerry

Post by AZJerry »

I run it off a USB hard disk. I did a scandisk which found no problems. I'll have to try a fresh copy and/or running it locally.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

AZJerry wrote:I run it off a USB hard disk. I did a scandisk which found no problems. I'll have to try a fresh copy and/or running it locally.

The only time I had that happening with my stuff was when the USB controller in my USB hard drive was dying on me. (which caused no end of issues). Try running it locally to exclude any portable media issues.
N467RX

Post by N467RX »

Do I need to have Thunderbird in that computer too? or only the portable version in my USB
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

If you just want the portable one, you're cool with that.
N467RX

Post by N467RX »

Oh, ok. So now I can run Firefox & Thunderbird on the school computers!!!!! :)
weglarz

Post by weglarz »

Ok, I'm running into a weird problem.

Running PTB 1.5RC1

It was working fine...took it to a different PC...it did ask if I wanted TB to the be default (believe I clicked NO)...that PC has TB loaded on it already.

it worked fine on that PC (slow cuz that pc only as USB 1.1)

Back to primary PC I use PTB on...won't connect to POP or SMTP servers.

So thought that my office made some changes...but I loaded a fresh version of PTB and added the accounts from scratch, it connects fine.

So, I went back to the problem installation, deleted an account (not all of them, just one), and added it back in using a different name, but the same POP settings...no luck.

Any thoughts on what might be happening, or a solution...I could go without the mail...not that I want to, this is a backup...and start over...but I don't want to put PTB in that other PC if it is going to cause this problem again...and I am ASSUMING that the other PC caused the problem...I don't know that for a fact.

TIA

Doug
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Doug,

Check your saved passwords. That can sometimes be an issue. Also your internet connection settings. Or the profile itself could have become corrupted (ie, if the key is pulled before TB is done writing... up to a minute.)
weglarz

Post by weglarz »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...turns out is was my changing the proxy settings, required at work for the RSS feeds, but not at home...and checking the "use for all protocals" box...once I unchecked that, all was better...

It gave me a chance to cleanup my profile anyway! ;-)

Thanks
AZJerry

Post by AZJerry »

CritterNYC wrote:
AZJerry wrote:I run it off a USB hard disk. I did a scandisk which found no problems. I'll have to try a fresh copy and/or running it locally.

The only time I had that happening with my stuff was when the USB controller in my USB hard drive was dying on me. (which caused no end of issues). Try running it locally to exclude any portable media issues.

For the long weekend I copied my PTB folder to my hard drive and have been operating that way (since it's faster). I didn't have any problems until this morning when it's happened 3 times so far. So we've eliminated the USB hard drive from the mix. I've also done a new extraction of PTB into a new folder and copied my profile into that and still had it crash.