Adblock & Flash Player

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Cody-7

Adblock & Flash Player

Post by Cody-7 »

Hey guys,

I'm sure most of us here know (if you use adblock) that it won't correctly block flash ads with Flash Player 8.0. If you enable "Object Tabs" none of the flash works. I think the simplest solution is to download Flash player 7.0 - I see no difference betweed 7.0 and the newest.

I know there is a "patial fix" available for adblock - but downgrading to 7.0 is so much easier. Does anyone know where i can find the install for this version? I remember a site that had all sorts of program installs that were older versions, but i don't have the URL right now.

-Thanks, Cody.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

You're looking for Macromedic Flash Player 7.0 install? See this thread on the issue http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 73#1806473
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

Try <a href="http://bene.sitesled.com/install.htm"><u>Adblock Plus 0.5.10</u></a>.
be

Re: Adblock & Flash Player

Post by be »

Cody-7 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm sure most of us here know (if you use adblock) that it won't correctly block flash ads with Flash Player 8.0. If you enable "Object Tabs" none of the flash works.

Obj-Tabs is a superfluous feature for newbies.
Ctrl + Shift + F = Flash override toggle

There is not one good reason to go to an older version of Adblock, IMO.
So stick with the latest version.
KellyJoe

Post by KellyJoe »

How DOSE one uninstall Adblock? I cant find it in Start/Programs, which is what I expected, it's keeping me from seeing some things I want to see. I don't have any idea as to whether I can disable Adblock temporarily, which would be great.
be

Post by be »

Ctrl + Shift + B toggles Adblock on/off.
The status is indicated in the bottom-right as Disabled when disabled.
Toggle again with Ctrl + Shift + B to switch it back on.

Uninstallation is just like any other Extension:
Tools > Extensions > (select the Adblock extension)
Press Uninstall.

Clicking on the actual Adblock text in the bottom-right brings up a window that tells you what was blocked (in red) and what rule (filter) was responsible for the block for any current page/tab you are on.
be

Post by be »

KellyJoe wrote:How DOSE one uninstall Adblock? I cant find it in Start/Programs, which is what I expected, it's keeping me from seeing some things I want to see. I don't have any idea as to whether I can disable Adblock temporarily, which would be great.

I'll just add, for the sake of completeness:

I can't imagine anyone wanting to uninstall Adblock (unless you're installing a new version and need to uninstall the old), so here are some tips:
Use the latest Adblock. Save it. Make note of where you saved it.

Uninstall any older version you may have.
After each uninstall or re-install, you should close all windows of the browser (including download windows) and restart it.

Install new version in Firefox by going to the:
File menu in Firefox and selecting:
Open File...
Navigate to the adblock-dev.xpi file you saved in the link above.
You'll get a prompt. Install it. Restart browser by closing all its windows, then restarting.

Now you need to tell Adblock what to block.
Use FilterSet.G ad filters as a very good basis for all your ad-blocking.

Here's how:
Save the latest FilterSet.G text file from here:
(right-click the link then select Save Link As..)
http://www.pierceive.com/filtersetg/2005-10-31a.txt
Make note of where you saved it.

Now, in Firefox's menus again, go:
Tools > Adblock > Preferences > Adblock Options > Import Filters..
Navigate to the FilterSet.G txt file you saved, above.

Overwrite when it asks you.
Done.

Most ads will be blocked painlessly now.
If you want to block Flash-based ads that aren't blocked in the default FilterSet.G list, just use Ctrl + Shift + F to be able to overlay the flash ads and be able to block them. Toggle back with Ctrl + Shift + F when you're done.

The latest Adblock is always updated in this thread here:
http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=2264
...for future reference.

Hope that helps?
Cody-7

Post by Cody-7 »

FatJohn wrote:You're looking for Macromedic Flash Player 7.0 install?

Yes, i am looking for the Flash Player 7 install - that is so much easier than trying to find work-arounds with adblock.

be wrote:Obj-Tabs is a superfluous feature for newbies.

Well, umm... Let's say i want to play a flash game at addictinggames.com for example. And i want to block all of the annoying flash ads around the game. I can simply click the adblock tab above which add i want to block. Ctrl + Shift + F blocks all flash on that page - kind of pointless.

P.S. When i open adblock-dev.xpi with Firefox, nothing happens.

P.S. #2 - Oh look! "ads by Goooooooooogle" at the top of the page! Come here Adblock! I'm telling ya, Google is worthless that's all they do is spam ads all over the net. I can go to any other bizillion serch engines out there.
be

Post by be »

Cody-7 wrote:
FatJohn wrote:You're looking for Macromedic Flash Player 7.0 install?

Yes, i am looking for the Flash Player 7 install - that is so much easier than trying to find work-arounds with adblock.

be wrote:Obj-Tabs is a superfluous feature for newbies.

Well, umm... Let's say i want to play a flash game at addictinggames.com for example. And i want to block all of the annoying flash ads around the game. I can simply click the adblock tab above which add i want to block. Ctrl + Shift + F blocks all flash on that page - kind of pointless.

Ctrl + Shift + F is simply a toggle so you can click over the flash advertisement and Adblock it, which you normally wouldn't be able to do due to it being a flash object (which shows a different right-click menu). That is, Ctrl + Shift + F doesn't block anything at all, but allows you to actually select what to block.

Once you've selected what to block, u Ctrl + Shift + F again. Simple.

P.S. When i open adblock-dev.xpi with Firefox, nothing happens.

Dunno what to tell ya...it works fine here after downloading. Try to go to the Adblock thread and install from the direct install link..

P.S. #2 - Oh look! "ads by Goooooooooogle" at the top of the page! Come here Adblock! I'm telling ya, Google is worthless that's all they do is spam ads all over the net. I can go to any other bizillion serch engines out there.

I see no Google ads. Did you import FilterSet.G?
darklight_tr

Post by darklight_tr »

I would recommend using Adblock Plus 0.5.10 along with the Filterset.G Updater. That combination works great!

<a href="http://bene.sitesled.com/adblock.htm">Adblock Plus 0.5.10</a>

<a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1136">Adblock Filterset.G Updater</a>

Using the above combo, you can run Flash Player 8 with no problems.
be

Post by be »

using any combo, you can run flash player 8 without problems. The key is to simply have Obj-Tabs off (which is OFF by default in recent versions) and a semi-recent build of Adblock for latest Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape compatibility..
Cody-7

Post by Cody-7 »

Well guys, i finally found the Flash Player 7 install (It can be found here... http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14266 ).

I see exactly what you mean now, be, about using Ctrl + Shift + F, i guess that works too. But now that i got flashplayer 7 re-installed, there's no need to mess around with Adblock's settings anymore. And i think i will try the "Filterset.G Updater" because it looks very useful.

It would be great if you guys could make a sticky listing that URL for flash player 7 for people who might have the same problem as me.

P.S. i had adblock disabled when i saw the "gooooooogle" ad. But, wouldn't you guys agree, that you see those "ads by goooooogle" banners all over the net?

Thanks for the help! - Cody.

Re:

Post by Guest »

KellyJoe wrote:How DOSE one uninstall Adblock? I cant find it in Start/Programs, which is what I expected, it's keeping me from seeing some things I want to see. I don't have any idea as to whether I can disable Adblock temporarily, which would be great.

Learn how to spell and quit hyjackin threads.This one is about how addblock cant block fucking flash player!!! Moron
LoudNoise

Re: Adblock & Flash Player

Post by LoudNoise »

Wow. A nasty posted attached to a thread that ended in 2005. Locking. Please post a new thread if you can be polite about it.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."