Losing bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
fdffdsdf

Post by fdffdsdf »

what happens if i lost the ones in my default profile
memarcus

lost

Post by memarcus »

i lost all my bookmarks and i desperately need to get them back. I am completely confused by the instructions on this website. i have gone to the profile folder, bookmark.html and i still cannot find my bookmarks. all i keep getting are two websites directing me to a website entitled file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/defaults/profile/bookmarks.html. this website only directs me back where i started. i also tried installing that bookmarks backup but there was an error. like i said before i desperately need my bookmarks back. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
memarcus

lost con't.

Post by memarcus »

i also typed in firefox.exe - profilemanager into run. all i got was mozilla firefox homepage up again. (all that's on hompage is Important Security Update for Firefox and then the link the firefox hompage) also what are these links that start with (ex. C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\<Profile name>\********.slt\, C:\Windows\Profiles\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\<Profile name>\********.slt\)what in the hell are these? are you supposed to type these, where are they found, etc. this completely confused me. i tryed typing these things everywhere i could think of, checked everywhere in My Computer for them, and found nothing. this made absolutely no sense. once again PLEASE HELP!!!!!! i desperately need my lost data.
trolly

Post by trolly »

That is wrong.
It should be something like:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
Search the directories for bookmarks.html or bookmarks.bak (the backup for the bookmark file).
If you are lucky you have a directory named bookmarksbackup. There the bookmark files of the last few days are stored.
memarcus

lost con't.

Post by memarcus »

by the way this incident just happened. the problem started with me restarting my computer. my bookmarks were fully in tact before i restarted, but after i restarted all my bookmarks disappered. in response to the previous message: unfortunately i don't have anything by the name of bookmarksbackup (believe me i looked). is there any other way i can recover this data? i also tried downloading the bookmarks backup but there is an error with installing. i'd like to know the reason for this error. while receiving a bookmarks backup will help me in the future, i still need the data i previously lost. is there any way i can still obtain it even without a backup.
memarcus

lost con't

Post by memarcus »

if there is no way to retrieve my bookmarks, is there any way i can access my computer history?
hellene

Post by hellene »

memarcus, search your machine for files with the property "hidden" (you will need to tell windows to both search for them and display them once found, so you need to check the settings in both search and Windows Explorer). Search for files with the name *bookmark*.* Use all the wildcards.

Check all the files that this returns to see if any of them have your bookmarks in. If not, they are lost.

Access history by opening a blank tab and typing about:cache in the address bar.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
memarcus

Post by memarcus »

how do i open a blank tab?
memarcus

Post by memarcus »

ignore last question.
memarcus

Post by memarcus »

i typed in about:cache and all i received was the history of the websites visited after my computer restarted. is there any way to access the history of my computer over the past couple of days?
trolly

Post by trolly »

CTRL-H
Open history sidebar
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
hellene

Post by hellene »

memarcus, sorry. Half asleep here. about:cache shows the contents of the cache. View>sidebar>history shows history

Now if that also comes up with only the current session viewing, ask yourself whether when you crashed and restarted Firefox it didn't tell you that your profile was in use, and ask if you wanted to create another.

Also, what did you find when you did the search.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
memarcus

Post by memarcus »

thank you all so much for your help. i finally found what i was looking for.

Post by Guest »

My Bookmakrs, for the 5'th time in as many months, have gone.

ENTIRELY P!SSED OFF !

SICK OF THIS.

Twice in the last month even, for no apparant reason. I am seriously tired of recreating my bookmark toolbar and forgeting my damn other bookmarks. Very very annoyed, and from what I've read, its over a year and till occuring. Not good.
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

Guest:
It would help if you could use a unique guest name or register if you'll be posting several times. It'll be easier to track your posts.
Please explain more about your system and what you've tried so far to rectify the problem. "Be precise and informative..." guidelines are very helpful. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=260935
Also, the standard diagnostic (if you haven't done this already) often fixes instabilities such as yours.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29
and "Bookmark backup extensions and utilities" here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 25#1252725