Profile in use, lost bookmarks, other bookmark questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
OwenBerg

Post by OwenBerg »

Since installing v1.0.7 on a windows nt4 machine, almost every time I close firefox, it looses it's profile.

I have tried an un-install and re-install, but that hasn't improved anything.

Firefox is installed on an NT4 machine, profiles are automatically stored on my personal drive (a mapped network drive).

Is this a known fault?
OwenBerg

Post by OwenBerg »

Forgot to mention... I previously had a problem where there were a load of default profiles that had been created.
That is not happening now.

When I check the profiles folder, there is only ever one in there.

Post by Guest »

I am having same problem as Areafire (Oct. 17, 2005 posting) I get this box lately at least once a day or every other day which says Firefox stores information about your settings, preferences and other user items in your user profile. Default profile comes up in the box. And it asks me to create a profile, Rename a profile or Delete a profile.......I have to reboot my machine to get rid of this message and to be able to access Firefox again. When I create or rename a profile, I lose all my bookmarks which is not an option to me. Why are so many people having this problem? I didn't have this with Internet Explorer and switched to Firefox thinking everything would be better without all the spam. Anyone out there who can tell me how to correct this? I would appreciate it very much as there doesnt seem to be any way to contact Firefox directly on a website about this problem...... Thank YOU.
Rosedp

Post by Rosedp »

Sorry, I didn't put my name on the message directly above this one.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Owenberg, I know what it's doing. On the occasion when you found loads of profiles, some part of the "model" profile folder in the application folder was set to read only (could be the entire folder, could be just profile.ini), so FX creates a new profile each time.

This time, it's just not stickying your settings and is (in effect) loading the model profile each time. The cause is the same, some part of the profile folder is read only, but in this case it will be the profile in your network drive.

If you check the properties for the folders/files in both the application folder and the profile folder, you should find the source of the problem.

Uninstalling/reinstalling will not fix this problem.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
hellene

Post by hellene »

rosedp, the problem is your firefox is not shutting down properly. Next time you see the message, just say NO, cancel and instead open Task Manager. Look on the PROCESS tab (not the application tab) for any running firefox.exe processes and kill them (rightclick, select End Process).

You should then be able to reopen firefox without any error messages.

Closing Firefox via File>exit rather than the X in the windows box usually prevents this problem. If it is happening frequently, try a Standard Diagnostic to pinpoint the cause of the problem, which is usually a corrupt theme or extension but not always.
Akus

Post by Akus »

Yesssssssssssssss the fix worked!(winks at FatJohn) The very first line in this thread was the key,thanks.
dragon4u2die

Post by dragon4u2die »

this is the third time this has happened to me, and i'm starting to wonder whether this inconvenience outweighs the conveniences of firefox. i don't know what this profile crap is, but when i shut my computer down, it deletes all my history, bookmarks, cookies, and the like. this is extremely annoying since i had about 200 bookmarks. i've looked up this problem with no results, and i've tried the methods at the beginning of this thread, but i got nothing. It really seems rather tedious to have to back up my bookmarks every 3 bookmarks or so. can someone tell why this might be happening and perhaps a plausible way of preventing it?
GBooksProb

Post by GBooksProb »

claybeez

Post by claybeez »

Firefox was hanging on certain websites and occassionally freezing altogether. I deleted the user, but that did not fix the problem. I went ahead and just uninstalled it. After doing so, I saw that there were still a number of file/folders on my HD. I moved them to the desktop and all were replaced but one. In HD>Library>ApplicationSupport there was a folder titled "Mozilla" that did not reappear. There was 1 file inside - pkcs11.shlb. Should I return the folder or create a new one? There is a folder titled "Mozilla" in HD>Library.

The second question I have is about my bookmarks. On a previous reinstall I had placed the folder "wudsuzwu.General" on my desktop and then returned it to the profiles folder after reinstallig, replacing the newer version. On this re-install the "wudsuzwu.General" was not re-created. In fact instead of the two folders "1pmjch7f.default" and "wudsuzwu.General" there is now just the folder "iw1kbies.default". There is no longer a list of bookmarks as was in the "wudsuzwu.General" folder. So despite returning the "wudsuzwu.General" folder to profiles, my bookmarks did not reappear. Is there any way to return them? Where are the bookmarks I just added manually after the reinstall now stored? I no longer see a file for each individual bookmark. How do you save your bookmarks now?

I'm running Firefox 1.04 on Mac OS X Tiger. Any help is appreciated. I'm pretty green so please explain it in layman's terms. Thanks.
claybeez

Post by claybeez »

BTW I did just upgrade to 1.07 after posting, if that changes anything.

Post by Guest »

Am I posting in the wrong area?
hellene

Post by hellene »

claybeez, as far as I know you never saw a file for each individual bookmark. Firefox has always saved all it's bookmarks in one big file called bookmarks.html

The bizzarely named folders are profiles generated by profilemanager - it creates these "salted" names which are supposed to be a security feature.

Firefox always has a profile, so if you delete it, it always creates a new one at the next restart of the application. If it creates the new one, it creates one of these salted folders to store it in.

Have a read around here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
for more info in general about the profile.
Loni007

Organizing Bookmarks;Manage Bookmarks and Bookmarks menu

Post by Loni007 »

I've spent 5 hours looking for the answer. Time to post.

I figured out how to move my IE-5 favourites into the bookmarks folder and can sort them under the "Manage Bookmarks" menu option. However, they are not displayed sorted when I click on the 'Bookmarks' option on the main menu bar.

In my massive reading it has been mentioned to click the Bookmarks menu item>right click a bookmark>a small menu appears to sort. No menu comes up. I've also tried using ctrl, option, command, and shift keys and combinations of those keys and it's still brings up no menu. I can't find any way to "sync" the menu bar bookmarks with the ones in the "Manage Bookmarks" window.

Please be sure to read my signiture. Thanks
iBook, OS 10.3.9 (Panther), 640M RAM, Firefox Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.7. If you need more info don't hesitate to ask.
notallowedtousemyusername

Another Bookmark Question

Post by notallowedtousemyusername »

Between one day and the next with no changes or crashes I was only able to use my bookmarks in safe mode not in "regular". I've looked through the other questions without finding anything quite like my problem. I'm open to suggestions at this point.