I Need Help

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Shanty1024

I Need Help

Post by Shanty1024 »

I have been trying to get mozilla suit to work properly on my windows xp. I think I did something majorly wrong. I tried to uninstall mozilla and reinstall it a couple of times to fix my problem. I seem to be digging a deeper and deeper hole. Can somebody help me? When I search my harddrive for mozilla files it comes up with files that have been duplicated. Is it possible to completely remove mozilla from my hard drive and start fresh so I only have one copy of mozilla in my computer.

Thanks in advance,
Shanty
Mike Novack

Post by Mike Novack »

Yes -- but I'm not an XP person.

AFTER you have gotten things cleaned up, before reinstalling, a couple things to keep in mind.

1) Programs are not data. If you find that Mozilla is not working properly do NOT assume that reinstalling will fix anything. This is a "data driven" process so if the program doesn't behave properly it is probably the DATA and not the program you need to change. The data isn't kept in the program, so if the data is messed up, when you reinstall the program, same problem.

2) I seriously suggest that if you are new to Mozilla you start out with JUST Mozilla and add the plugins and extensions that you "just can't live without" one at a time << and making backups of your profile before each new "toy" >> There is usually no guartantee that third party additions will work and you need to worry "did I get the right version for the Mozilla version I am using. The point is, you need to learn which problems are Mozilla problems and which are extension problems. Perosnally I would not incorporate any extension that did not provide a clear "back out" path no matter how attractive a toy otherwise.

Post by Guest »

In the XP, do a search for such things as 'profile','bookmarks', 'inbox', 'mail' to
find out if you have duplicates of the data files that Mike is talking about...