Strange noise when browsing with FireFox on Dell Insp600m

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Bonesaw

Strange noise when browsing with FireFox on Dell Insp600m

Post by Bonesaw »

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 600m.

One of the first things I did upon powering it up was download Firfox and set it as my default browser. From the start, a strange, high-pitch wistling sound was emitted from somewhere beneath the keyboard close to the 4 green power lights. I could only hear it on certain pages (msn.com, nfl.com) The noise would "flicker" in sync with the second light as the page was loading then remain a constant noise when the page was completely loaded.

I have been through HELL with Dell over this issue. They have tried to convince me that it is a software issue (which of course isn't covered by the warranty). Finally I managed to get them to take a look at it- they said they replaced the motherboard but when I go the laptop back the noise was still there (they obviously didn't fix it).

I just recently found out the when using IE, there is no wistling noise...only with FireFox. I would really hate to have to use IE on my laptop because I love FireFox and am a huge supporter.

Any ideas, tips or insight?
Lazyhound

Post by Lazyhound »

The noise is coming from the processor. It's normal.
Bonesaw

Post by Bonesaw »

Its normal?

Then why don't I hear the same irritating, high-pitch noise from my desktop PC when using Firefox on those web pages?
hgw

Post by hgw »

Cus your desktop's a different computer.

Yeah it's normal. It's just an audible resonance of your CPU's clocking frequency. Something inside your dell is a little bit loose and starts to vibrate. Happens with my Compaq NX just as well sometimes.

Post by Guest »

I appreciate the respones but would like to understand the problem a little further.

Why would there only be a noise when using FirFox and not any other web browser?

/not trying to be a pain.
DennisMcNeel

Re: Strange noise when browsing with FireFox on Dell Insp60

Post by DennisMcNeel »

It isn't the CPU, or the memory, as I thought. It is coming from the speakers. In my case the speakers built into my monitor. When I mute them the sound goes away. When I un-mute them it comes back. Firefox is doing something to turn up the volume on that particular webpage. Not all pages, but many of them.

Come on Mozilla!!!!!! Fix this. Admit it, and fix it.

I have used Firefox as my default browser for several years, but if this continues, I WILL switch to another browser. This started with recent upgrades. It happens with 3.6.18 and version 5.01
LoudNoise

Re: Strange noise when browsing with FireFox on Dell Insp60

Post by LoudNoise »

You are replying to an elderly thread (2005). Locking. Please start a new thread fully describing the problem.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."