Should firefox use this much memory?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Should firefox use this much memory?

Post by Guest »

I have 1.5 RC2 with no extentions and find the program is using over 100k of memory. I have tried different profiles with no success. Is this just a current bug or a on going problem if so can I fix it?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

No bug, nothing you can do, its the way Firefox works. 1.5 has much better memory management than the 1.0.x series. I often can push my system to 100Meg, and my system just keeps on keepin' on....

Just as FYI: I'm currently at work. I'm forced to use IE.
I have 7 windows open all mozilla forums and bugzilla, nothing with any heavy graphics.
Currently IE is using: 75,084k Meg 66,080 VM

I beg to ask, what is the difference, memory usage is memory usage...I had IE over 120Meg last night with 13 windows open, almost 2 times what I run using Firefox with 13-15 tabs.
Last edited by a;skdjfajf;ak on November 17th, 2005, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the responce. It seems like a not so go way for it to "work". I am now up to 130k and climbing. I hate IE and Micro$oft so it make me sad.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

But you don't give us a clue as to what content you might have in memory. (You could have five 16-MB images on Web pages, for example.) I'm curious. Can you check it? Can you get that kind of memory use with all Web pages closed?

Here's how you check it. Close all windows and tabs except for one tab showing about:cache. (In the address window, type <b>about:cache.</b> In the memory cache device what is the storage in use? Now in the Task Manager, what is the VM size for the Firefox process?

Post by Guest »

Is this the information you are requesting:

Memory cache device

Number of entries: 0
Maximum storage size: 45000 KiB
Storage in use: 4194301 KiB
Inactive storage: 0 KiB

List Cache Entries - Nothing Listed

Disk cache device

Number of entries: 0
Maximum storage size: 25000 KiB
Storage in use: 0 KiB
Cache Directory: C:\....

List Cache Entries - Nothing Listed
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

That shows that you have 4 GB minus 2 kB in memory cache (which could be on disk). If it's not an error, You probably find everything a little slow, to say the least. But please open the Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) and report VM size from the Processes tab. I need the VM size and the Mem Cache Storage in use, but not the other numbers.

Was this with nothing open but the about:cache tab? No other tabs or windows??!! And a new, default profile? That is incredible!

Post by Guest »

VM size now 142000k
peak 144200k
usage 144,400k
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Last edited by VanillaMozilla on November 22nd, 2005, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest, the information is pretty much useless unless you give follow the directions completely and determine all information at the same time. And it would help to answer the questions in my previous message. Depending on what you are doing at the moment, 142 MB could easily be just normal use.

Post by Guest »

Guest:
You say FF uses "over 100k"; how much do you think it should use and why?

How much memory does IE use in a similar environment?

How much <i>should</i> IE use?

Post by Guest »

Current with 4 tabs open

mem usage 173,000
Peak 179,000
VM 169000

Number of entries: 707
Storage in use: 9099 KiB
Inactive storage: 4235 KiB

List Cache Entries

Disk cache device

Number of entries: 1643
Maximum storage size: 15000 KiB
Storage in use: 14596 KiB
Cache Directory: C:\Cache

List Cache Entries

With everything closed but about:cache

mem usage 175,000
Peak 179,000
VM 156000

Number of entries: 707
Storage in use: 9099 KiB
Inactive storage: 17916 KiB

List Cache Entries
Disk cache device

Number of entries: 1643
Maximum storage size: 15000 KiB
Storage in use: 14596 KiB
Cache Directory: C:\\Cache

List Cache Entries

This is what I notice - it seems that it doesnt go down very much when I close pages.

Post by Guest »

PS: VanillaMozilla thanks for ur patients.

Post by Guest »

firefox 1.5 uses more memory.

Post by Guest »

also if I close out every things and re start firefox I show"

mem usage 32,000
Peak 32,000
VM 26000
hermetica

Post by hermetica »

Unless Firefox's memory (ram) and/or CPU usage are preventing you running other programs, then you do not have a 'problem'. How much it uses - in an abstract sense, ie unconnected to its impact on other program usage - is completely academic.