WYSIWYG Editors Bug?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

schere

WYSIWYG Editors Bug?

Post by schere »

Hi!

I am using the free CMS Joomla to maintain a webpage. As I really enjoy using Camino a lot, I normally use the most recent nightly builds to get all the new features ;-)
Unfortunately, the content editor used by Joomla (TinyMCE) stopped working correctly in the recent nightly builds. I think he loads correctly, but there must be some problem loading the content already entered - the screen is always blank. Interestingly, the same thing happen using Firefox 1.5 Beta 2.
In Camino 1.0a-1 everything does work perfectly.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

thanks,

wolfgang
jedik

Post by jedik »

There are some reports like yours in the forum recently, so it seems that there are a lot of bugs in the latest trunk version of both Camino and Firefox. They are probably Gecko core bugs. And should be fix in the future. For now you can use Camino's branch build (1.0b1 will be released soon) or revert to an older trunk nightly.

Cheers
Powered by Camino
schere

Post by schere »

Thanks for you advice. I tried to use the current build from the 1.0a-trunk, it shows the same strange behaviour. The bug has to be in the rendering core, because both FF and Camino are affected, right?

wol
jedik

Post by jedik »

Right... Try the *branch* build (the one that will become 1.0 eventually). The trunk builds (will become 1.1+) use a new version of Gecko that is buggy now.

Cheers
Powered by Camino
schere

Post by schere »

thats http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... atest-1.0/ , right? If so, it doesn't work either :-(

thanks!
greetings, wol
jedik

Post by jedik »

Weird... These two Rich Text editor works fine here:

http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm
http://www.fckeditor.net/demo/default.html

Do you have a link for me to test it? Maybe you are seeing the problem with hidden components in the browser window that affects any version of Camino or Firefox:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187435

If so, please vote for this bug, as it is a Gecko core bug.

Cheers
Powered by Camino
schere

Post by schere »

Hi !
You can check out the Joomla! Demo Site at <a href="http://demo.joomla.org">demo.joomla.org</a>. Login simply by username admin, password admin.
Then just click on an edit button next to an article. A new page opens up, showing a WYSIWYG Editor in the bottom of the Page. Initially, you'll see the bare HTML text until the editor finished loading. In older versions of Camino, the HTML code is parsed and displayed correctly. In recent builds, the text box is grey and loading of the text fails.

I hope my instructions are clear....

cheers wolfgang
jedik

Post by jedik »

Hmmm, it seems that the CMS was designed specifically to Firefox. I was successful only using Firefox 1.0.7. Camino 0.8.4 copies the text, but the RT editor does not work. Latest branch build behaves as you've said (it does not open the second RT editor either) but the RT editor works, a 10-14 trunk build opens both editors, but does not copy the text. DeerPark Beta 2 (Firefox 1.5b2) behaves like Camino trunk build (as expected).

Cheers
Powered by Camino
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

I actually see the raw html in another textarea below the rich-text editor with Camino 2005101904 (v1.0a1+). And the same in the equivalent Fx branch nightly. So it's a Core bug of some sort. Either Editor or DOM, probably.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
geeffland

Similar issue

Post by geeffland »

I too am using Joomla and noticed that with the recent upgrade to Firefox 1.5 RC1 (from beta 2) that I can no longer type in text into the tinymce editor.... I can select text but can not get a regular cursor or type text... I could use that editor iwith the beta 2 release... (verified on 2 seperate machines)

Also I can still edit text in the regular text boxes on the other areas of the screen... just not in either of the intro text or main text windows (have not tried with any other editor selected in Joomla) Hope this gets fixed quickly... am new to firefox and had just switched from IE because I like the feel better... but if I can't edit the messages it will be difficult to use.

Greg
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Did anyone ever file a bug on Joomla (in core or editor)? It won't get fixed if the bug never gets filed. The fact that there's a partial regression window (bet. Fx 1.5 b2 and 1.5 rc1) is valuable info.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
tijsie

Post by tijsie »

Bump.

Any update on this one? This problem still persists in FF 1.5 RC3. On the Joomla forums they say this is a Firefox bug since it still works on the latest stable version 1.0.7.

Hope something will be done about this as this will be quite an annoying problem for Joomla'ers, bloggers or WYSIWYG forum posters...

t.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

tijsie wrote:Bump.

Any update on this one? This problem still persists in FF 1.5 RC3.

And I quote,
Uncle Asad wrote:Did anyone ever file a bug on Joomla (in core or editor)? It won't get fixed if the bug never gets filed.

tijsie wrote:On the Joomla forums they say this is a Firefox bug since it still works on the latest stable version 1.0.7.

That it works OK in Fx 1.0.7 doesn't necessarily mean its a Fx bug. It could be they were relying on a bug in Gecko 1.7.x that got fixed for Gecko 1.8 (like the Amex "tall menus" problem). I have no idea if that's true here or not, though.

It won't be fixed for Fx 1.5/Gecko 1.8, though. Baring a major crasher, RC3=Fx 1.5.

tijsie wrote:Hope something will be done about this as this will be quite an annoying problem for Joomla'ers, bloggers or WYSIWYG forum posters...

For Joomla users, yes, but every other rich text editor widget I've tried works (provided they're not browser-sniffing against you, like Gmail, or IE-only).
Lost User 18071

Post by Lost User 18071 »

Uncle Asad wrote:For Joomla users, yes, but every other rich text editor widget I've tried works (provided they're not browser-sniffing against you, like Gmail, or IE-only).

I have no problems with Dreamweaver MX with Camino.

Oh Man! I really hate "IE only" in the our sick World, that's totality 100% Fascism!

Microsoft is a contemporary neo-fascist organization.

Christian
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

christian_bearsly_clark wrote:I really hate "IE only" in the our sick World, that's totality 100% Fascism!

No, it's not even remotely like fascism.

If you want to troll, please find another forum to do so in. There are plenty of other places on the net where meaningless Microsoft-bashing is acceptable, but this isn't one of them.