MozillaZine

Thunderbird & Beagle

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
nuskcalb

Post Posted November 18th, 2005, 11:39 am

The problem is that right now there is no Thunderbird backend for beagle so we can't search thunderbird emails using beagle. I think this can force some users to switch to Evolution. (I almost did)

Some of the main problems seems to be:

-apparently thunderbird does not provide a nice way of opening a specific email via the command line
-the database format (msf files) is hard to parse

So, what the hell is all that about?

Well, If some of you (mscott?) can help me out with this two questions I can give the information to the beagle developers and help thousands of sad users like me. ;)

Hope it's the right place to ask.

Thanks.
<a href="http://www.aithne.net/index.asp?i=0">Aithne.net - Selection of Critic and Constructive Articles about Social Reality</a>

supernova_00

Post Posted November 19th, 2005, 5:48 am

beagle? evolution? huh?

nuskcalb

Post Posted November 19th, 2005, 8:21 am

supernova_00 wrote:beagle? evolution? huh?

Beagle is the linux counterpart of Copernico or GDS,... and Evolution is the linux Outlook (sort of).

U should give a try to ubuntu and take a look from yourself ;) www.ubuntulinux.org (try the live CD)...

I'm asking those questions because as a consecuence of not being able to use beagle with thunderbird a lot of people is tempted to switch to Evolution. Which is bad for Thunderbird... :P
<a href="http://www.aithne.net/index.asp?i=0">Aithne.net - Selection of Critic and Constructive Articles about Social Reality</a>

[BISI]

Post Posted November 19th, 2005, 10:26 am

nuskcalb: The storage system behind Thunderbird won't change until Thunderbird 3.0 (if we follow the Firefox versioning and the draft of the Gecko 1.9 roadmap) - so, a mork parser has to be made. Why don't the beagle developers implement the command line options into Thunderbird? :)
I like chickens. Lots of them. Every day.

mscott

Post Posted November 21st, 2005, 2:50 pm

Copernica and GDS integrated with thunderbird using our APIs, no mork parsing required. Seems like beagle should be able to do the same thing.
Thunderbirds are Go!

trelony

Post Posted November 23rd, 2005, 10:14 am

I think GDS requires Thinderbird to be running in order to access Thunderbird emails. Beagle is a daemon.

Alexey N. Solofnenko
home: http://trelony.cjb.net/

michaelzap

Post Posted July 9th, 2007, 1:48 pm

Apparently there was a Beagle plugin to index Thunderbird email, but there were major memory issues and it has been removed. I'm using Google Desktop Search with Thunderbird 2, and I've had a lot of trouble with it as well. If I enable the GDS indexing add-on in Thunderbird I get frequent CPU spikes that seriously affect system performance and Thunderbird crashes periodically.

So I'm actually considering moving to Evolution as well...

I'd prefer that GDS fixed their Thunderbird add-on, but apparently there is a real problem with parsing TB's files without using way too much CPU.

Return to Thunderbird Builds