ADSAdClient31.dll

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
coripe

ADSAdClient31.dll

Post by coripe »

Opened up my Hotmail account and repeatedly get a download window in FF saying thtat I have asked to download this file. Obviously I have not downloaded it but I'm wondering what it is and why it is getting past the FF blocks.
valkorum

Post by valkorum »

Ok I had a bit of a look around and it seems to me that it is a part of msn messenger. Most server logs show it coming from

rad.msn.com
arc1.msn.com
arc2.msn.com
arc3.msn.com
arc4.msn.com
arc5.msn.com

If you also look on your hard drive at

D:\Documents and Settings\(UserName)\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\1234567890\

for the file called ConfigCache.xml you see these lines of code

<AdMainConfig>
<AdMainCfg>http://rad.msn.com/ADSAdClient31.dll?GetAd?PG=IMSUKR?SC=HF?PUID=$PUID$</AdMainCfg>
<AdDownloadTimeInMinutes>120</AdDownloadTimeInMinutes>
</AdMainConfig>

So my assumption is that it is part of the side tabs that you have in msn messenger. I am sure that some of them have adverts in them and this is the file that resolves the ads.

Hope this sheds some light or helps someone else to find some more info about it

Valkorum
coripe

Post by coripe »

Thanks. But I never knowingly downloaded MSN Messenger and looked where you suggested on my hard disc but - not surprisingly - found no trace of it there.

Any other ideas?
valkorum

Post by valkorum »

Strange. I will look in to it a bit more when I get home as I have full access to my pc there (at work I have limited access - sucks big time)

I have the latest version of msn at home so I will have a search around on my home pc to see if there is any trace of it there.

Just out of curiosity, have you done a search for ConfigCache.xml on your hard drive?

Valkorum
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

That's a file the hotmail server sends sometimes. Its not supposed to send the file but it does as its not configured properly. They stopped sending that file a little while ago, I guess they must have reverted or someone goofed on their end.
coripe

Post by coripe »

Valkorum:

Haven't found ConfigCache.xml on my hard drive, but the previous answer here seems to solve the mystery.

I'll send feedback to Hotmail and complain.
coripe

Post by coripe »

Weirder yet: When I access my Hotmail account using IE, I don't get the download window for ADSAdClient31.dll. Perhaps Microsoft is trying to sabotage use of FF?
kstahl

Post by kstahl »

Are you using ZoneAlarm?
coripe

Post by coripe »

Spy Sweep and the Microsoft Beta anti-spyware.

Post by Guest »

Has anyone found a solution, pleae advise, murray.wood@sympatico.ca

Post by Guest »

Found the solution via Microsoft:
1. Start>Run>msconfig
2.Under GENERAL>make sure SELECTIVE STARTUP is checked, then UNCHECK Load startup group items
3. Click APPLY then OK
4. Reboot computer
5. Browse with browser for a few minutes
6. Go back into msconfig, check off Load Startup group items, click apply then OK, reboot computer.
7 . Then go tot START> RUN> regedit
8. Click on HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENT VERSION/RUN-
9. Delete the RUN-
10 Close all
11. Reboot computer
SPYWARE POPUP will be gone.

Post by Guest »

Just got off the hone with MS, they said to install the google toolbar, do a search for "download google toolbar " They tell me this will work