[THREAD CLOSED] Portable Firefox 1.5 RC3 Released

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
YourTechSupport

Post by YourTechSupport »

So.. since 1.5 Final is 1.5 RC3 itself, you already have the Final? From what I understand they're the same down to the checksums :D
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

I think 1.5 is the same as 1.5 RC3. I'm going to release a test version before doing the full official release. Mainly because this version may be the last one that needs to be downloaded for a while as the portable app will be uncompressed and will work with the update service, negating the need to download individual versions of Portable Firefox going forward. The final 1.1.2 version of the launcher has a couple minor changes and the app name may be changing to Firefox Portable. Look for a test release in this forum later today.
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
stevelam

Post by stevelam »

CritterNYC wrote:the app name may be changing to Firefox Portable.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dont do it. Please dont do it. For a start it dosent sound as good and I'd have to change the sync app.

p.s. I would like to release an Alpha version soon 0.2. Where should I host it?
InvisoSniper

Post by InvisoSniper »

I agree that you should maintain the update funtionality, honestly not to many people are hard pressed for megabytes on their flash drives anymore. No offense to any one who still has a small one. But you should maintain a small version just in case.

I agree with Steve about the name change, perhaps the whole name doesnt have to change just the Top folder. So the App Remains Portable Firefox, but the folder structure is \Firefox Portable\(sub folders).

I do however also realize the way the launcher has been made. To that end I suggest that You leave the $NAME varriable as is, But add a Folder Varriable with the value of '(App) Portable' and adjust the launcher accordingly. This would maintain the uniformity and the name, As well as allowing the new folder and ini names for organizational puroses.

to steve:
As soon as you can host the sync let us all know, also i could help test right now if you want PM me i can give you my email. Sorry I cant offer to host.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Yeah, I can understand the feelings regarding the name change. I feel the same way. But it's getting a bit more annoying as I release more apps. I have 8 done now. And I'm about to release 3 more. All based on existing open source apps. So, they all show up as Portable X. Portable Y. Etc. In web directories of portable apps, they get bunched up and don't alphabetize by the app name well. In the Suite, they're harder to distringuish than they should be. I thought about just changing the launchers... but that would break up the consistancy. I'd like to keep the same name in all places. To show you the apps suite... here's the difference:

http://johnhaller.com/jh/temp/PortableX.png
http://johnhaller.com/jh/temp/XPortable.png

And one possibility with underscores (just for the launcher, not the app name):
http://johnhaller.com/jh/temp/X_Portable.png

I know the name change is a bit annoying... and it doesn't flow as well... but I'm thinking more towards the future. I'm planning on doing a bunch more apps as long as I can get the time and/or funding. And, as that number increases, so does the oddness of Portable X.

As for the syncer... as long as it's GPLed, I can host it on SourceForge and create a project page for it off the Portable Firefox page. Email me the syncer and source. And since it's my name change... I'll update the syncer with the new name if I do it.

Any and all thoughts are much appreciated, since these apps are made for everybody!
Last edited by CritterNYC on November 30th, 2005, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
InvisoSniper

Post by InvisoSniper »

Understood. Keep up the great work by the way.
muesli_tv

Post by muesli_tv »

i cant start it! it shows the splashscreen, disappears and thats all :o pff 1.07 worx fine
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

muesli_tv wrote:i cant start it! it shows the splashscreen, disappears and thats all :o pff 1.07 worx fine

Do the usual checklist:
1. Ensure your local copy has fully closed
2. Try a base download with the default profile
3. Try running it locally.
4. Etc.
muesli_tv

Post by muesli_tv »

1. dont understand this
2. downloaded your zip, unzipped it, started it - shows the described behaviour
3. done
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

If your local copy of Firefox is running, Portable Firefox just starts another window of that. If you try the usual suspects and it still won't work, it's an issue with your PC or its configuration.
quidire

OS X

Post by quidire »

http://www.theplaceforitall.com/portablefirefox/

He's managed to get cross-platform compatibility working. Given Mozilla's focus on cross-platform access, wouldn't it be appropriate to integrate his innovations into Firefox Portable?

Thanks
-RS
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Actually, it's a series of scripts that copy the bookmarks, cookies, etc from one to the other. I'm in contact with him on standardizing it to be an add-on to Portable Firefox... it's been discussed here before. The eventual goal is to have launchers and copies of binaries for all 3 platforms working off the same profile.
erdalronahi

Post by erdalronahi »

I have the same problem as mentioned above. After upgrading to Portable Firefox RC3 it became unbearably slow. With the default profile it is much much faster. What can I do? After all, the profile is the reason why I use Portable Firefox ;)
stevelam

Post by stevelam »

CritterNYC wrote:As for the syncer... as long as it's GPLed, I can host it on SourceForge and create a project page for it off the Portable Firefox page. Email me the syncer and source. And since it's my name change... I'll update the syncer with the new name if I do it.

Ok will do. Currantly there are two versions. 0.2v which needs the .NET framework 2.0 to be installed. And 0.1n which is writen in NSIS. the v version will be done sooner (this week for a release version) and the n version may take longer as I intend to learn NSIS. The v version is more feature packed as I usually write in .NET but the 2.0 framework is quite uncommon at the moment, hence limiting the portability.

p.s. I'll change the name I wrote a nice little custom app to do it for me.
EmSixTeen

Post by EmSixTeen »

Hey, just got this after having 1.0.7. I've a problem though, there's a bar along the bottom of my window which I don't seem to be able to remove. See here. Help please? :)