AUTO SCROLL IS HERE!

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
psykotik

AUTO SCROLL IS HERE!

Post by psykotik »

Hey skidooer from the somethingawful.com forums decided to code a extension for auto scroll heres an description from the forums(its pay to enter):

"So was I, so I took the whole 15 minutes it took and wrote my own implementation. I am awaiting them to activate a mozdev account for me to put it on, but until then if someone wants to host it for me I can get it up for all to use.

* It works almost exactly like IE's does except the cursor does not change (at least not yet).
* It works in Phoenix on Windows, I assume it will work with Mozilla and all supported platforms.

Edit: Thanks to R1CH: http://sa.r1.cx/autoscroll.html
Edit 2: Hopefully fixed URL."

THX SKIDOOER!!!!!!!!!!!!1
jcmkk

Post by jcmkk »

The actual autoscroll feature works well, but it needs to only work if if the middle button is clicked on a spot in a webpage without a link. As of now, if you middle click a link to open it in a new tab it goes into autoscroll. Also if you middle click on any part of the interface outside of the webpage, it autoscrolls.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Hmm, am I the only one that's been able to auto-scroll all along? I'm using a logitech mouse and I can use autoscroll in anything. I thought this was a standard feature with mice.
puntme

Post by puntme »

mattcoz wrote:Hmm, am I the only one that's been able to auto-scroll all along?

Yep.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

oh

:|
johnh123

Post by johnh123 »

It is a very good first step, but I hope the author can work on some of the issues mentioned in the first post- good job to the author.
psykotik

Post by psykotik »

Yah its currently a work in progress he released it to somethingawful.com to satisfy our basic wants, something MozScroll should have done ages ago. He plans on further advancing his bold first step with this script.
psykotik

Post by psykotik »

Straight from the man himself over in the SomethingAwful.com forums =>

"I'm working on a new release that fixes up some of these bugs as well as adding support for a different cursor, more IE like. But I'm going to bed now so it's not going to be tonight! "

- Skidooer, Author of Auto Scroll Extension
TD

Post by TD »

Works great. Tell him thanks :)
wget

Post by wget »

Skidoer has promised an update soon. It will contain various fixes plus a cursor to provide visual feedback that the scroller is enabled.
DeepFreeze3

Post by DeepFreeze3 »

*a
Last edited by DeepFreeze3 on January 21st, 2003, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nelius

Post by nelius »

logitech mice have no problem with autoscroll IF you install the mouseware... witch again I didn't like... and I set it to MS compatible to regain the middleckick usage and the MSscroll (witch is imho better than the logitech AS)... so... bottomline the AS should be reachable without the need of installing any spesific mousedriver. It just should be there
yurk

It should not trigger on links

Post by yurk »

One of the biggest advantages of Phoenix/Mozilla over IE is the (middle click on a link) -> (open link in a new background tab). Autoscroll should not interfere with that, by triggering only when not hovering a link (I.E. when the pointer is an arrow).
Jugalator

Post by Jugalator »

The version I got doesn't do that. Perhaps it was updated?

A problem I *do* get though is that the add-on stops working if I middle-click a tab to close it. At least that's what I think is triggering it.
nelius

Post by nelius »

also get sudden "stops" in the extension... and is it too much to ask to have the scroller stay active when middlebutton is clicked and release it again when its clicked again.. just so I don't have to hold down the button... lazy me :)