Scroll Wheel Change with FF 1.5

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bhall7

Scroll Wheel Change with FF 1.5

Post by bhall7 »

This is sort of hard to explain, but I used this feature everyday in previous versions of FF.

Before Firefox 1.5, I could press the middle mouse button (scroll wheel) and scroll by simply moving the mouse, and while scrolling on the middle mouse button, also roll the scroll wheel up or down as you were simultaneously scrolling with your mouse, and the page would jump up or down--a feature that is very handy if you are perusing news pages, etc. But for some reason, you can't do this with Firefox 1.5. Is anyone else bummed about this as I am?

<i>UPDATE:</i> Okay, so after using Firefox 1.5 some more, I discovered that when you are autoscrolling slowly (using the first two slowest speeds of autoscrolling), you cannot "sub-scroll". However, when you autoscroll a little faster (the third autoscroll speed or higher) you can "sub-scroll". I consider autoscrolling in FF 1.5 "buggy".

-bhall
Last edited by bhall7 on December 2nd, 2005, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Works the same for me in 1.5 as it did in 1.0.x versions!

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
bhall7

Post by bhall7 »

_Click_ your scroll wheel button, then release. A circular button with arrows inside will appear, allowing you to move your mouse down slightly to scroll slowly down a page. As you are slowly scrolling down, roll your mouse wheel, like you do when you scroll normally using your scroll wheel. It _should_ "sub-scroll" (jump the page down three lines) as you are slowly scrolling down. It's hard to explain, but I haven't been able to use this feature ever since I upgraded from 1.0.7 to 1.5 this week.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy bhall7,

it's called "autoscrolling" and it's here ...
tools/options/advanced/general/use-autoscrolling

take care,
lee

edit -
i JUST bothered to really read your 2nd post. sorry! that function - the thing you call subscrolling - is not a part of ff in 107 OR 150 ... at least i think not. were you using one of the mouse gesture extensions?
-lee
bhall7

Post by bhall7 »

Lee,

Thanks for the reply. Yes! Autoscrolling! If you can get a hold of FF 1.0.7, and if you try to roll your mouse wheel while autoscrolling, you will see that it works--I love this feature, and sadly, with FF 1.5 it no longer works.

-Brian
charles

Post by charles »

That is how it works on my 1.5 install here. Click you get the autoscroll circle and if I roll the wheel it jumps up or down by what appears to be 3 lines. Have you tried to see if it works in safe mode? Maybe an extension or theme conflict?
bhall7

Post by bhall7 »

In previous versions of FF, it would let you scroll again while autoscrolling at <i>any</i> speed. With FF 1.5, you are only able to "sub-scroll" while autoscrolling at a higher rate (the third speed or higher). Not sure if this is a "feature" or not. To me, it's annoying. What was wrong with the autoscrolling in FF 1.0.7?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy brian,

- went to google and set my prefs to show 100 [instead or 10] results per page [gives me a NICE LONG page to play with scrolling]
- entered "testing" as the search term
- got a nice LONG page to play on

- went to the middle of that page and mid-clicked to bring up the autoscroll icon
- moved the mous down about an inch
- scrolling started going down the page fairly fast. faster than i could read, but slow enuf that i could get a general idea
- rolled the mouse wheel and yes, it did actually change the speed noticably

if i move the mouse pointer far enuf from the autoscroll icon to give FAST speeds, then rolling the mouse wheel has no noticable effect. of course, it's so fast already that i may just not be able to see it ... [*grin*]

now, it THAT the thing you are talking about?

take care,
lee
bhall7

Post by bhall7 »

Lee, yes, that is what I experience. But noticeably, you cannot roll the mouse wheel with any affect while you are autoscrolling at a slower speed. You have to be autoscrolling at a faster speed in order for it to allow you to roll the mouse wheel while autoscrolling. It is nice to be able to roll the wheel and "skip" down or up while autoscrolling slowly. Not sure why this changed with FF 1.5. I want 1.0.7 again. But I do like the Ctrl+Shift+Del hotkey to Clear Private Data. <sigh>
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy bhall7,

arg! too bad. you might still want to put a note in over at the firefox bugs or firefox features forums. i wonder - does the "smooth scrolling" option do anything to that? it's right below the autoscrolling checkbox ...

take care,
lee
bhall7

Post by bhall7 »

The Smooth Scrolling option makes it so I cannot "subscroll" while autoscrolling at any speed. Wacky! I submitted a bug report.
Last edited by bhall7 on December 4th, 2005, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy bhall7,

fooey and double fooey! [*grin*] still, you may want to try the bugs or features forums.

take care,
lee
firemonkey

Post by firemonkey »

bhall7, try middle clicking then moving the mouse pointer to the right so that it is no longer hovering over the autoscroll scroll icon. Then move slightly down to start scrolling. You should then be able to scroll with the wheel. In my case it appears that the scroll wheel does not function while hovering over the autoscroll icon.
bhall7

Post by bhall7 »

Firemonkey,

Dude, you rock! That's totally what was causing it! That would explain why it would only seem to work at faster speeds. Duh! So if the cursor is hovering over the autoscroll icon, no worky.

Thanks again!
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

bhall7 wrote:Firemonkey,

Dude, you rock! That's totally what was causing it! That would explain why it would only seem to work at faster speeds. Duh! So if the cursor is hovering over the autoscroll icon, no worky.

Thanks again!
bad bhall7! bad, bad, bad! [*grin*]