Sandbox: Yast (Yet Another Search Trick) 0.3.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Vinzz

Sandbox: Yast (Yet Another Search Trick) 0.3.3

Post by Vinzz »

Solves an annoying (imho) glitch in the GUI by adding two functions:

Ctrl+F3 Search next occurence of selected text
Ctrl+Shift+F3 Search previous occurence of selected text

Yast 0.3.3

[Edit 12/03/08] Version 0.3.3 available on AMO, with the following locales added:
ca-AD,zh-CN,nl-NL,gl-ES,de-DE,mk-MK,pl-PL,uk-UA,pt-PT. It's pretty hard to catch up with these Babelzilla.org blokes.
[Edit 12/01/08] New version available on AMO, now FF3.1 compliant (still in sandbox, despite a kind review, though).
[Edit 06/04/07] This extension is now in the sandbox and nominated for public release. Feel free to leave a review (No, I'm not begging at all ;o).
[Edit 02/07/07] ver 0.3.0 Changed Homepage to point on my own one.
[Edit 08/30/06] ver 0.2.9 locale nl-NL added
[Edit 07/13/06] ver 0.2.8 Time to be FF2 compatible!
[Edit 02/22/06] ver 0.2.7 locale da-DK added... There's now more translation text than code :o)
[Edit 02/16/06] ver 0.2.6 locales ko-KR and pt-BR added, thanks for the translators of babelzilla.org!
[Edit 03/12/05] ver 0.2.4 locale ja-JP added, locale fr-FR fixed
[Edit 05/10/05] ver 0.2.3 locales es-ES and it-IT added
[Edit 03/10/05] ver 0.2.2 FF1.5b compatible.

Tested on FF3.1Pre2

Enjoy,

Vinzz
Last edited by Vinzz on December 3rd, 2008, 3:09 am, edited 13 times in total.
manc39

Post by manc39 »

Is this from text entered into the findbar?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b1) Gecko/20060712 BonEcho/2.0b1
Sekerob

Post by Sekerob »

Good question as Crtl-G and Crtl-Shift-G do the very thing!
The Dutch-Italian

Alan Baxter

Re: [New Fx extension release] Yast (Yet Another Search Tric

Post by Alan Baxter »

Is this from text entered into the findbar?
Vinzz wrote:Ctrl+F3 Search next occurence of selected text

Just select the text and start searching. No need to copy it into the findbar first.
Sekerob

Post by Sekerob »

Ah, so the outset is to 'select' text on the viewed page then use your YAST to see if there are more occurences.....why did i not think of that as 'annoying glitch' before....i'll give it a 1 star out of 5....i'm happy with searching for something i would like to know is there in the first place.
The Dutch-Italian

Alan Baxter

Re: [New Fx extension release] Yast (Yet Another Search Tric

Post by Alan Baxter »

Vinzz wrote:Solves an annoying (imho) glitch in the GUI

YMMV ;)

Just in case Vincent, the YAST author, is monitoring this thread, I'd like to give him some unsolicited feedback. (My French isn't good enough to go through the extension's homepage.)

1) The entries in the Edit menu should be grayed out if there is no current selection.
2) The entries in the Context menu should not be visible at all if there is no current selection.
3) The selection should be echoed on the context menu, e.g. SearchPrev "echoed" if the word "echoed" is selected. See "Search Web for", Translate, and DictionarySearch for examples of this behavior.

Hope this helps, and I'll be grateful if your English is better than my French.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7
Vinzz

Post by Vinzz »

@Alan, thanks a lot for this UI feedback. I didn't know it was possible to update menu entries (I'm a noob in Gecko/XUL programming) and it seems pretty interesting. I might also try to add the selected string to the findbar once yast has been invoked, it could be usefull.

@Robert, it's a very common feature among text editors and programmation frameworks, I'm quite used to this it, and was fed up to see my favorite browser without it.
That said, if you're pleased with the current search behaviour, don't touch anything ;o)
Sekerob

Post by Sekerob »

Vinzz, I'm a real pushover....now that i know where you're coming from, 2 stars. If ever i develop a need, i'll load it and it might rise to 3..it's been added to my long list of Extension bookmarks.
The Dutch-Italian

Vinzz

Post by Vinzz »

Just fixed fr locale and added japanese one.

No new feature yet.
pwb2

Way Cool!

Post by pwb2 »

I may have been doing it the hard way; but to accomplish this same thing previously, I would have done the following:

Highlight text
Ctrl-C (copy to clipboard)
Ctrl-F (launch the findbar)
Ctrl-V (insert to findbar)
F3 (find next occurrence)
Close findbar when finished

This extension allows me to:

Highlight text
Ctrl-F3 (find next occurrence)

And there's no findbar to be closed when I'm finished! Very cool. Thank you, Vinzz!
RenegadeX

Post by RenegadeX »

I was curious to see how useful this extension would be, so I installed it.
Hmm.. not a bad first effort..

I was hoping that it would also do the following (something that if the Firefox developers actually thought things properly would be a default Firefox behaviour) :
- when text is highlighted and you hit "/" or "Ctrl-F", it should be automatically entered in the Find box (so that you can find next).

Is that possible?

EDIT: see there is a similar extension called 'Find Selection' that does this on Ctrl-G:
http://www.stonie.co.uk/firefox/extensions/
Vinzz

Post by Vinzz »

[@pwb2] Very glad you find it usefull!

[Renegade_X]
You're right, that's a first effort that permit me to discover the astonishingly simple and straightforward extensions architecture.... Eh, in fact, let's say I discovered it.

Concerning the behaviour you suggest, this could indeed be a different way to do it, but I like it like that (I always reckoned that the FF findbar sucked, staying open after a search had been done).
That said, it could be a default behaviour, I second you on that.

And concerning the extension "find selection", it does indeed quite the same (using the findbar component I thinck. I didn't install it, just picked a glance at the code), but I didn't found it at the time I needed the fonctionality... MoreOver, mine can also search backward ;o)

Thanks for you remarks,
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

RenegadeX_ wrote:EDIT: see there is a similar extension called 'Find Selection' that does this on Ctrl-G:
http://www.stonie.co.uk/firefox/extensions/

Thanks for the link. I was using YAST, but I switched to Find Selection to try it out. Seems to work as designed except for the issue mentioned on its home page. The problem I have with Find Selection occurs when I'm just trying to use the Find bar on a very long web page. I can indicate where it should start the search from by selecting a point in the web page and pressing Ctrl-G (or F3). But if I accidentally select some text before pressing Ctrl-G, then the search text is replaced with the text that I accidentally selected. I've switched back to YAST because its action is independent of the Find bar.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

I see that YAST has an update available, version 0.2.5. I'd like to know what's new about it and I can't find that info on the home page. Is Vinzz around?
Vinzz

Post by Vinzz »

Hi Alan,

This new very minor release has just been made to fix a glitch in the italian locale.
Nothing to worry about, that's why I didn't mention it.

Have a good WE.