2003-09-12 Windows, Mac OSX Builds Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

2003-09-12 Windows, Mac OSX Builds Now Available

Post by mscott »

I just pushed a 'late' build of the week for windows tonight. Please read about
<a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=192514#192514 ">the new roadmap</a> to better understand this build.

This build is a 0.3a build and is based off the Mozilla 1.5 branch.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 09-12-1.5/

New Features:
-----------------
1) A *huge* performance win for IMAP over broadband. This is a fix by David Bienvenu that will soon find its way into mozilla seamonkey. I find most IMAP operations are at least twice as fast as they used to be. Thanks a lot David!!

2) Thunderbird no longer spell checks the 'reply text' in mail compose. i.e. the "John Doe wrote:".

3) Thunderbird no longer spell checks signatures although I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I may take it back out.

4) There is now UI in Account Settings / Addressing & Composition to allow those of you that want your signatures to be inserted before the quoted reply if you so choose. (No political arguments in this thread about this please!)

5) Thunderbird took Neil's Mozilla Mail fix to support Mark Read By Date

6) You can now mark a folder as read via the folder pane context menu

A complete list of <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/changes.html">changes</a>.

Known Issues
---------------

1) Apparently the IMAP performance win has caused a couple of regressions that cause some users to see the mail window spinning at 100% or failing to log into the imap server. This will be fixed in next week's builds.

Enjoy,
-Scott
Last edited by mscott on September 17th, 2003, 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
jhirshon

Post by jhirshon »

Killer! :D

FYI - correct link for download is http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 9-12-1.5a/ First link seemed not to work?

cheers, JH
Last edited by jhirshon on September 12th, 2003, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeddyBerlin

Post by TeddyBerlin »

There are 2 downloads. The 1,5 and the 1.5a. Which is now the correct one?
Heinrich Witt
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040309 Firefox/0.8.0+
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5+ (20040304)
mscott

Post by mscott »

TeddyBerlin wrote:There are 2 downloads. The 1,5 and the 1.5a. Which is now the correct one?
Heinrich Witt

the one i posted is the correct one.
Thunderbirds are Go!
TeddyBerlin

Post by TeddyBerlin »

Thanks
Heinrich Witt

Edit: Works great.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040309 Firefox/0.8.0+
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5+ (20040304)
Gun

Post by Gun »

Although I'm downlaoding the one you specified, I'm just curious about the 1.5a. What is the difference between them?

Thanks.
WhiteBandit

Signature Position

Post by WhiteBandit »

I noticed if I keep my signature below quoted text, TB puts in the "--" that denotes where a signature begins.

However, if I set it to put my signature above the quoted text (below my reply), TB does not put in the "--" delimiter.

Anyone else see this problem as well?

EDIT: Reading post right below mine. . . I'm using WinXP. Can anyone confirm on this OS (or any others for that matter)
Last edited by WhiteBandit on September 13th, 2003, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
R@F

Re: 2003-09-12 Windows Build Now Available

Post by R@F »

mscott wrote:..This build is a 0.3a build and is based off the Mozilla 1.5 branch.

4) There is now UI in Account Settings / Addressing & Composition to allow those of you that want your signatures to be inserted before the quoted reply if you so choose. (No political arguments in this thread about this please!)

It doesn't 'drop down' for me, so I can't choose anything. Anyone else seeing this on Win2k?
Mad Maks

Post by Mad Maks »

R@F wrote:
mscott wrote:..This build is a 0.3a build and is based off the Mozilla 1.5 branch.

It doesn't 'drop down' for me, so I can't choose anything. Anyone else seeing this on Win2k?

i have the same problem ( win 98 ) :-(

MM
Thunderbird NL
Mozilla Thunderbird NL 0.8
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040911 Firefox/0.10.1
windows 2000 /linux (linspire)
dacloo

message filters - kind of bug

Post by dacloo »

I have two email accounts, both with folders and sub-folders.
When I move one folder with subfolders tp the other e-mail account root,
I think the message filters should be moved as well.

Secondly, it would be cool this to be an exception:
In the address book I would add a new field called:
"default folder".

Here you can specify a folder in Thunderbird so every mail from a certain person
is redirected to that specified folder (one person can have several e-mail addresses)

This way, if you export your address book, you also export this setting, which is very handy.

With import (let's say I reformatted my computer, I have no folders anymore)
Thunderbird can ask me if the folder from that certain persoon should be created for me, or not.
MBR

Post by MBR »

R@F wrote:It doesn't 'drop down' for me, so I can't choose anything. Anyone else seeing this on Win2k?

WFM. What do you mean with "it doesn't drop down"? Is the drop down box disabled? If that's the case make sure you have "Attach this signature" checked on the main page and that "start my reply above the quoted text" is selected in the drop down.

Malte
R@F

Post by R@F »

Thanks Malte, that fixes it. I don't use a signature but I didn't think that would prevent me from using the drop down box (just to see what the options were). As soon as I select a .txt file in the main panel I can also choose the place to insert.
simifilm

Post by simifilm »

Wouldn't it make sense to have the signature chooser in "Adressing & Composition" instead of the general settings. This could avoid some confusion.
craymtn2

Re: Signature Position

Post by craymtn2 »

WhiteBandit wrote:I noticed if I keep my signature below quoted text, TB puts in the "--" that denotes where a signature begins.

However, if I set it to put my signature above the quoted text (below my reply), TB does not put in the "--" delimiter.

Anyone else see this problem as well?

This is the intended behavior. Otherwise some email clients will strip everything after the "-- ", which would include the quoted text.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

mscott wrote:A *huge* performance win for IMAP over broadband.

Could be my imagination, but so far it appears faster over dial-up as well! Good job! :-)