Discussion for 'The list is out, pick your top 5'

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Yui

I guess the discussion is here.

Post by Yui »

Fusion is on the top of the my list. For me fusion is cool, catchy and creative and also has a theme, which is a plus.

If you imagine two atoms fusing together to create fusion energy which powers the sun you can see the power of the name. Without fusion there would be no life on earth. You and I would never have been born, and the earth would be frozen solid. It is certainly something to think about.

The mascot could be the sun to represent the dawn of a new age of browser. The throbber could be the sun rising.

Other then fusion, I would pick a name with a mascot that is rather striking.

Popular sports teams have great colors, great players and great mascots. Enough said.

- Yui
ottosmops

what's wrong with jaragua

Post by ottosmops »

I don't see many people voting for the cute lizzard called jaragua any more. that's a shame. it's such a cool name, (sounds a little like shaguar) and we'd also have a mascot that looks similar to the windows-mozilla-icon. I know that for Linux there is a star, but I think that's very abstract.

firebird sounds stupid, just like a car from pontiac. it's nothing new to men, everybody has a different association with it, whereas jaragua is probably unknown to most of the people.

VOTE FOR JARAGUA! *g*

BlackAdder
djnr

Post by djnr »

The problems with Jaragua are that:

1) It looks like "Jaguar", just with typing mistakes,

and 2) I have no idea what it is, nor does anyone else who hasn't dug through their encyclopedia trying to find obscure lizard names for a web browser.

We don't want an obscure name.
chrisMage

my two cents

Post by chrisMage »

Fox is my favorite name so far. I also like the name Firefly.

Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I want a name that says browser. I want a name that sounds like it's the name of a browser, not a p2p client, or a media player, or anything else. Like when you're naming a band, you want the name to fit the sound. You don't know how it fits, it just does.

We don't need an arrogant name like BOB (even though I do think Phoenix has potential to become the best), and we don't need anything cute or corny, like some other names that have been suggested.
Richard Nixon is cool, because he's not a crook.
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

Fox was not on my list of favorites, but I could live with it. Maybe I could even live with Firefly...not sure about that one. At least neither one is obscure like Gekk, Raptix or Gogolplexer (you're joking, right?). I don't suppose there's <i>already</i> a Gogolplexer Browser so I can sleep easy? I hope Phoenix gets a name users can be comfortable with, or there may not be nearly as many users.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
flii

Post by flii »

Radiowriter wrote:At least neither one is obscure like Gekk, Raptix or Gogolplexer (you're joking, right?). I don't suppose there's <i>already</i> a Gogolplexer Browser so I can sleep easy?

maybe i'll make up my own browser right now just so that *this* browser won't be called that. ;) then we can *both* rest easier! :-P
djnr

Post by djnr »

I saw a post in the main name suggestion forum that said Firefly is being picked - is there anything to that? It feels like this discussion is losing steam, maybe that's a good thing.

Are they planning to announce the name with the .6 release, or sometime before that?
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

Maybe the next step to the name discussion would be taking a dictionary and checking word after word if they're suitable...
..::XF::..
OldLadyDriver

Ok My IDEA OF A NAME

Post by OldLadyDriver »

B.A.B.I.E.S (BadAssBrowserInternetExplorerSUCKS)
Phenx
Roam
Destructor
W00t.there.it.is
OpenBrowser
ESCAPE
TheMelvins
Scorn
Godflesh

I dont know, i've been really bored the last couple days..

And BTW, I get alot of timeouts using phoenix

Good Luck
May The OpenSource Be With You..
redmyrlin

Post by redmyrlin »

djnrempel wrote:I saw a post in the main name suggestion forum that said Firefly is being picked - is there anything to that? It feels like this discussion is losing steam, maybe that's a good thing.

Are they planning to announce the name with the .6 release, or sometime before that?
Firefly - I think I could live with that :) - but whatever it is I hope they make their minds up soon :roll:
bps7j

xerces

Post by bps7j »

xerces is the name of an xml project from apache.org, for what it's worth. My $.02
I have no signature.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Flii wrote:
Radiowriter wrote:At least neither one is obscure like Gekk, Raptix or Gogolplexer (you're joking, right?). I don't suppose there's <i>already</i> a Gogolplexer Browser so I can sleep easy?

maybe i'll make up my own browser right now just so that *this* browser won't be called that. ;) then we can *both* rest easier! :-P

Really, the only two names that I like enough to be on the list are:

1. Firebird
2. Valkyrie

Firebird, as Flii put well, is a natural progression from Phoenix. Besides, the name still implies it will never die, which is a good thing for a product. For Valkyrie, I like the sound of it, and I am a big Macross fan. ;)
capandjudy

Dragonfly Is Good---I agree

Post by capandjudy »

redmyrlin wrote:
chrookee wrote:...Didnt vote for sphinx but the more I repeat it .. I actually like it more ...am gonna edit my votes to add it in...
No, Sphinx would be on my list of least liked names. I think the 'nx' ending sounds awful and it just makes me think of the word 'sphincter' :?

The one that's really growing on me is Dragonfly - light, small and agile, which is perfect for the browser formerly known as Phoenix! :D

I think that you want something not too far off the beaten path. If a name is too weird or obscure a potential new user will scratch their head and pass it by. Dragonfly is very good. Quicksilver would be good for the same reasons.
Norman Hunter
capandjudy

Sounds Good!!

Post by capandjudy »

thumperward wrote:Xulu's growing on me...

- Chris

Good. Different but not obnoxious.
Norman Hunter
capandjudy

Firefly--A Name That Fits!!!

Post by capandjudy »

redmyrlin wrote:
djnrempel wrote:I saw a post in the main name suggestion forum that said Firefly is being picked - is there anything to that? It feels like this discussion is losing steam, maybe that's a good thing.

Firefly - I think I could live with that :) - but whatever it is I hope they make their minds up soon :roll:

Small, quick, irridescent,... all of that stuff. It won't put people off i.e. not too obscure or weird like some type of inside joke. I would hope that the name isn't an embarrassment--just something that sounds like an internet browser.
Norman Hunter