Memory Issue 210,000 k very sad I dont want to give up on Ff

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It looks like you may have a memory leak, although it's hard to be absolutely certain without seeing all the numbers. Such is the frustration of trying to debug something from this distance. I notice that you also report crashes when memory use reaches 180 MB or so. It's not all that much memory, and it shouldn't ever crash because of low memory. (I've tried unsuccessfully to force it to crash.) How much memory do you have?

The memory use could be due to Fx itself or to one of your plugins. There is at least one reported leak in Fx, although the bug report is pretty vague. There are also reports of leaks in Flash, for example: http://www.gskinner.com/blog/archives/2 ... h_pla.html . I would try disabling Flash and QuickTime and see if that solves the problem.
ROOy

Post by ROOy »

pandacookie wrote:I have nine tabs open, and ForecastFox 0.8.2.5, Colorzilla 0.8.3.1, SessionSaver .2, Tab Mix Plus 0.2.5.2, IE Tab 1.0.7 Alpha and Adblock Plus 0.5.10 for extensions. And Firefox is currently taking up 47,372 k. I had memory problems when I had the non-Plus version of Adblock, along with some other extensions I no longer have. I agree with VanillaMozilla's advice. I have done what Vanilla suggests in the past; this was how I could narrow the problem down to which extensions were giving me trouble.

But I have no extentions
ROOy

Post by ROOy »

This I dont understandI have cleared history, cache and cookies and with 3 tab in use it shows:

Memory cache device

Number of entries: 0
Maximum storage size: 27648 KiB
Storage in use: 4194299 KiB - ?????????????????????????????????????????????????
Inactive storage: 0 KiB

List Cache Entries
The Firefox King

Post by The Firefox King »

had about 9 open and it went up too 73,something
Friends don't let friends use Internet Exploere
Bashar

Post by Bashar »

28 tabs and in the 86K

i used to have this problem with 1.5 beta bith with latest 1.5 i no longer see it
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

ROOy wrote:This I dont understandI have cleared history, cache and cookies and with 3 tab in use it shows:

Memory cache device

Storage in use: 4194299 KiB

That's not correct. I just checked, and I have the same problem. It's an old bug that I thought was fixed. It's apparently cosmetic only. Fx isn't occupying 4 GB of memory/VM, or you would know because your disk drive would be almost smoking. Mozilla should hire you to find bugs. :)

Post by Guest »

any help?
trolly

Post by trolly »

ROOy wrote:This I dont understandI have cleared history, cache and cookies and with 3 tab in use it shows:

Memory cache device

Number of entries: 0
Storage in use: 4194299 KiB - ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

List Cache Entries

That's a bug. It should read -1 (nothing used upto now).
ROOy

Post by ROOy »

Please Any HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Bashar,

I have had 3 tabs or more open all day and Firefox is currently using 68mb on my system.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
ROOy

Post by ROOy »

L.A.R. Grizzly I am glad for you but this is not the case for me. LOL are you trying to tease me?
schapel

Post by schapel »

ROOy wrote:Memory cache device

Number of entries: 175
Storage in use: 114070 KiB

This means you are currently displaying 114 MB of images on your tabs. All images on all open pages are stored in the memory cache uncompressed for speed. This is what's causing memory use to be around 200 MB total. To reduce memory use, load fewer images. If you are experiencing crashes, be sure to do a custom install and install the Quality Feedback Agent. This will send a report to Mozilla after every crash that will help developers fix the crash.
MotoVT

Post by MotoVT »

One thing I noticed is on sites that use Flash, for instance miniclip.com (the tennis titans game specifically), memory usage does jump up dramatically but not enough to crash the PC or the browser.
Firefox 5.0 WIN XP SP 3
schapel

Post by schapel »

MotoVT wrote:One thing I noticed is on sites that use Flash, for instance miniclip.com (the tennis titans game specifically), memory usage does jump up dramatically but not enough to crash the PC or the browser.

Yeah, going to the page with that game on it immediately increased memory usage by more then 100 MB for me. That's probably because it allocated that much memory. The memory was released when I closed the page, and exactly the same memory usage pattern occurred when I loaded the page in Opera 9tp1. It's not a Firefox problem.
mousky

Post by mousky »

schapel wrote:
MotoVT wrote:One thing I noticed is on sites that use Flash, for instance miniclip.com (the tennis titans game specifically), memory usage does jump up dramatically but not enough to crash the PC or the browser.

Yeah, going to the page with that game on it immediately increased memory usage by more then 100 MB for me. That's probably because it allocated that much memory. The memory was released when I closed the page, and exactly the same memory usage pattern occurred when I loaded the page in Opera 9tp1. It's not a Firefox problem.

Same experience with Firefox 1.5 and IE 6.0