Special versions of Firefox

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
bcool

Post by bcool »

I'm running Pentium III 1000 on WINXP SP1. I downloaded the following config from (tete009):
tmemutil-20051212-mmx2.zip
tmsvc-20051212-mmx-g6.zip
tbind.exe
=and=
firefox-1.5-2005121607.en-US.win32-tete009-mmx-g6.exe

I believe the PIII 1000 on 440BX board should be most compatible with G6/SSE because of its Intel chip. But it's also true that in the past many G7/SSE optimized builds have performed very well on my machine. This time do you think I chose correct/optimal configuration for my setup? So far I notice that browsing feels a bit faster but in my case, I cannot agree that Firefox launches measurably faster with the (tete009) build.

ALSO...
I noticed that the Mozilla ActiveX dll files(mozctl.dll, mozctlx.dll) are in the root folder. Surely ActiveX is not enabled in this build!? Tell me it ain't so.
Never let them see you sweat
Lost User 12105

Post by Lost User 12105 »

bcool wrote:I noticed that the Mozilla ActiveX dll files(mozctl.dll, mozctlx.dll) are in the root folder. Surely ActiveX is not enabled in this build!? Tell me it ain't so.

I believe 3rd party builders have always used these options in their .mozconfig:

--disable-activex --disable-activex-scripting

about:buildconfig doesn't show these options in tete's .mozconfig for his most recent trunk build (12-17).
bcool

Post by bcool »

I think you're right about other third party builders. But since I'm not familiar with (tete009)'s work and because as you say about:buildconfig doesn't show the item in (tete009)'s .mozconfig, I wanted to know for sure. His build is stable regardless. I like it.

Thanks.

---
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051216 Firefox/1.5 (tete009)
tete009

Post by tete009 »

Thank you for pointing out the problem about ActiveX.
I will make revisions of the problem next time.
bcool

Post by bcool »

Thank you Tete009. Your latest G6 build is very stable and dare I say it - comparable to my long time favorite, stipe build. I think I do see that the browser launches a new window sometimes faster than the other builds. The difference is not great but it's there if you pay attention.
Good work. :)
wazzabie

Post by wazzabie »

Thanks for posting these builds. I'm not sure what would work best with my laptop. I have a Pentium III 850MHz- M (this is the mobile processor. I think the Pentium M was later based from this CPU)
tete009

Post by tete009 »

wazzabie wrote:I'm not sure what would work best with my laptop. I have a Pentium III 850MHz- M (this is the mobile processor. I think the Pentium M was later based from this CPU)

For Pentium III(-M/-S), I would recommend the files whose name contains <q>g6</q> or <q>mmx2</q> (or <q>mmx</q>) string.
For example:<dl><dt>Firefox 1.5:</dt><dd>firefox-1.5-2005121815.en-US.win32-tete009-<strong>mmx</strong>-<strong>g6</strong>.exe</dd><dt>C/C++ Runtime (CRT):</dt><dd>tmsvc-20051212-<strong>mmx</strong>-<strong>g6</strong>.zip (included with <q>G6 + MMX</q> builds)</dd><dt>Memory Utility:</dt><dd>tmemutil-20051212-<strong>mmx2</strong>.zip</dd></dl>For more information about G6 and G7, please refer to <q>Visual C++ Compiler /G Options</q>.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us ... _.2f.g.asp
Trix.rox

High Memory usage

Post by Trix.rox »

I do not know if it is normal for an optimized build to have higher memory usage than the offical builds, but mine certainly does. It isn't uncommon for firefox.exe to reach up to 150mb on a regular basis! If possible I would like to see this lowered at least to 80mb. This is with downloading a file, and no tabs. I would like to note though, I love your builds, they seem quite snappy!
macaddict01

Post by macaddict01 »

Great builds indeed. Memory usage here is only 31MB while surfing this board.
DFI NF4 SLI Expert | Opteron 165 CCBBE 0616 XPMW (9x325HTT=2.9Ghz) | 2x1GB G.Skill HZ (3-4-4-8-12-16-2T) | Lite-On 165H6S DVD/CD Recorder | Geforce 7300GT | All SATA Drives | Antec 650 Trio PSU | XP SP2
bcool

Post by bcool »

Yea, there just seems to be other factors in play here when some experience extremely high memory usage. I've never suffered from it myself - although I do notice that (tete009)'s build does use a bit more memory than stipe's build (44MB vs 33MB average showing in Task Manager). But with 512MB physical ram, I just don't care. :)
calosIII

Post by calosIII »

hi. i've tried the build before and after the activeX thing cant say i saw much diff in speed loading or surfing. maybe because they were both very fast. great build. stable so far. mem usage is pretty much the same as using stipe's. around 40-50mb on my 256 ram after a while surfing. nice work.

a bit off topic. how can i view the japanese or korean languages in tete's site? i looked around in character encoding but cant seem to get it right. only get question marks all over. anyone?
... less is more ...
tete009

Post by tete009 »

calosIII wrote:how can i view the japanese or korean languages in tete's site? i looked around in character encoding but cant seem to get it right.

Hello. After you copy Japanese or Korean fonts into the <q>%windir%\fonts</q> folder, I think your Firefox will be able to display these characters appropriately.

Here's an example (Japanese fonts):<ol><li>Find <q>MSGOTHIC.TT_</q> and <q>MSMINCHO.TT_</q> files from the <q>i386\lang</q> folder of Windows CD-ROM, etc.</li><li>Extract font files from these files using <q>expand.exe</q> or <q><a href="http://www.7-zip.org/">7-Zip</a></q>, etc.</li><li>Copy the extracted font files into the <q>%windir%\fonts</q> folder.</li></ol>
calosIII

Post by calosIII »

thanks for the reply. again nice build.
bcool

Post by bcool »

tete009, your G6 build is very stable and for me it performs very well. I'm curious from where do you draw your core browser code? Do you start with "official Mozilla" 1.5 final release or do you take from nightly branch or possibly from hourly Pacifica branch (Pacifica<---- I hear this one receives new patches occasionally even after the 1.5 release)?
Just curious.
tete009

Post by tete009 »

bcool, thank you for your interest.

bcool wrote:I'm curious from where do you draw your core browser code?

At present, "official Mozilla" 1.5 final release. But I have modified little about Mozilla's source code because it is often modified by programmers.

A large part of the current optimization of my builds is provided by C/C++ run-time (CRT) functions I modified. I chose some CRT functions frequently called by my builds, and optimized them.