Open with "do this automatically" doesnt remember

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
robert h

Open with "do this automatically" doesnt remember

Post by robert h »

When downloading torrent files (associated with Azureus) i click Open with, navigate to azureus, and click "do this automatically". FF1.5 does not remember this action. Also, in Options-download actions, the file type is not listed...in fact there are none listed.

Any ideas?
Ken W

re: Open with "do this automatically" doesnt remem

Post by Ken W »

I'm running Firefox under Mac OS 10.3.9, and I've had a somewhat similar problem since I first installed it.

Checking the "Do this automatically for files like this from now on" box in the dialog that appears when beginning a download seems to accomplish nothing at all -- the next time I click on a link to download a similar file, I get the same dialog regardless.

Looking in the download actions list, however, I can see listings for several file types -- including ones I've asked it to handle automatically. In some cases, however, the action listed is merely "Open with" followed by blank space. Clicking the "Change Action..." button and selecting an application doesn't change that.

I've had this problem consistently since I first installed it (v1.0.X, I think) with Quicken WebConnect files. Now that I've upgraded to 1.5, I'm still having it with WebConnect files and also now with Windows Media .wmv files. I'm *really* hoping there's a quick and easy fix.
robert h

Post by robert h »

Ken,

This problem only started with FF 1.5. Pervious releases worked fine. Someone pointed to a plugin called MimeTypes that supposedly would fix the problem, i installed it but it did not help. I dont have the link anymore, but maybe it will work for you.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

robert h, if you tell Firefox to remember and then try to download the same file again, does it work then? (If files are served with random MIME types, that could likely cause problems...)

You too Ken W, do the same exercise. What are your results?
robert h

Post by robert h »

FatJohn,

yes, i was on a torrent site and clicked to download, then immediately clicked to download same file again after setting "remember..." option. Still forgot.
robert h

Post by robert h »

...oh... this problem happened immediately after installing FF1.5. I had no problems with 1.07 on that same site with torrent files.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Hmm, have you tried a vanilla profile? http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new
robert h

Post by robert h »

No, as i didnt want to have to reload all my extensions and themes.. but i will try it when i am done with all my browser activity
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

Ken W

Post by Ken W »

robert h wrote:Ken,

This problem only started with FF 1.5. Pervious releases worked fine. Someone pointed to a plugin called MimeTypes that supposedly would fix the problem, i installed it but it did not help. I dont have the link anymore, but maybe it will work for you.

I'd try it, but I've been unable to find it so far. Any idea where I might look?

FatJohn wrote:... If you tell Firefox to remember and then try to download the same file again, does it work then? (If files are served with random MIME types, that could likely cause problems...) You too Ken W, do the same exercise. What are your results?

Makes no difference -- I can download the same file several times, checking the "Do this automatically ..." box each time, and each time I'll get a prompt asking me how I want to handle this kind of file.
robert h

Post by robert h »

This is a bug in 1.5. I completely uninstalled FF, removed all mozilla and firefox entries in registry, ran registry cleaner and reinstalled Ff.

Still happens.

Post by Guest »

Ken W wrote:I'd try it, but I've been unable to find it so far. Any idea where I might look?
Mime Type Editor can be found here. It's tough to find through a web search because the extension's name is Mime Type Editor until it's installed, when it becomes the one-word Mimetypes.

With a Mac, at least, restarting Firefox puts a new "Mimetypes..." command under the Tools menu, where you can add actions. As well, you can go into the Downloads section of Firefox's preferences and click the button at the bottom to view and edit actions.
robert h

Post by robert h »

Did this fix the problem, Ken?
robert h

Post by robert h »

I installed MimeType. Firefox absolutely refuses to work and ALWAYS makes me browse to azureus. Bug, bug, bug.
Ken W

Post by Ken W »

Thanks for the link! I didn't tinker with it at all Sunday, and I'm not at home now, but will try it tonight/tomorrow/the next day. 'Til then, I'll keep my fingers crossed.