Is there a list limit (# of recipients) for Thunderbird?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bberkowitz

Is there a list limit (# of recipients) for Thunderbird?

Post by bberkowitz »

I send out emails to people who sign up on my band email list. The lists have some 800 people on each; when I sent out my first emails using Thunderbird, my anti-virus program popped up alerting me that I was sending out so many emails (possible worm). That was fine, but it said something like "You are sending out emails to 163 recipients," when it should have said, "860 recipients." So now, I don't know if the McAfee virus program sort of "counted wrong," or if I need to change my Thunderbird settings to email so many people at once via a list. (Still don't know if 163 people received my email, or all 860).

Please help if you can, thank you!,
Brian
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Thunderbird does not have a limit that I know of, but I'm sure your ISP does. You should probably break the list up into smaller batches. Then you need to find out if the ISP also limits how many you can send during a certain period of time.
bberkowitz

Post by bberkowitz »

Well, that message from McAffe popped up before my computer even sent the email; and I've been sending the emails out without a problem with Outlook Express for several years, to all 860 at a time per list. (I got a new computer and decided to try Thunderbird when a friend recommended it, as Outlook Express seemed to be having a number of other problems).

So, I'm still not sure what to do here, as I think it was either McAfee or Thunderbird that limited it...if it got limited at all! (that message might have been erroneous)...still, I will check with the ISP...thank you!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I would say then that it's McAfee. There are two settings that may be affecting it. Both are under Virus Scan Options>Advanced. First, under Email Scan, turn off the outgoing email scan. Then under WormStopper, turn worm stopper off as well. See how that works.
MMJECS

Post by MMJECS »

How can I send an email to more than four recipients simultaneously?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

MMJECS, you have a different question. Please start a new topic. You will be helped there and this topic won't get confused. Thank you.
bberkowitz

Post by bberkowitz »

Thanks, I think the McAfee might be the problem (that had occurred to me, but I wanted to see if there was a known Thunderbird issue or special setting for big lists, etc.)...thanks!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

There isn't ;-)
You're welcome.