Firefox 1.5 slowing down after 10-15 minutes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GeorgeSK

Firefox 1.5 slowing down after 10-15 minutes

Post by GeorgeSK »

Helo,i have got a probblem i did not have with the 1.07 Firefox - after intensive browsing (for about 10-20 minutes), the browser slows down - i click on a menu item or button and it takes 2-3 second to do something. I have the 1.5 version with some 9 extensions on a windows 98 system with 1 Gig of RAM!
MotoVT

Post by MotoVT »

Clue..........WIN 98 Os only looks at the first 64K of installed RAM! This is a dirtly little secret few know about. The rest of your ram will be used to create a page file on your hard disk where win 98 writes data to it and retrieves it from that page file
The solution I hate to say is frequent reboots of your PC to free up ram.

http://technofileonline.com/texts/tec041501.html

http://technofileonline.com/texts/tec031200.html

http://technofileonline.com/texts/tec040801.html
Firefox 5.0 WIN XP SP 3

Post by Guest »

MotoVT wrote:Clue..........WIN 98 Os only looks at the first 64K of installed RAM!

M . Not K.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy MotoVT,

that is OLD - and not any longer accurate info.

actually, it was inaccurate when the dweeb wrote it. he obviouly failed to understand the entire concept involved. the nitwit talks about system resources as if they were one blob. they are three blobs on w98se.

then you bring up that bit about the page file ... the page file - virtual memory - IS NOT involved in that AT ALL.

another ram limit was actually related to motherboard bios and motherboard cache settings interacting with w98. i have a w98se system over to the left of me with 512mb ram. there IS a small prob with more than that in w98se, but it can be fixed with a setting documented in the m$ knowledge base.

so, please stop putting out old outof-date and very inaccurate info. please?

i am no m$ fan, but i prefer to stomp on m$ for real reasons, not ignorant rants like the ones in those three links.

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Re: Firefox 1.5 slowing down after 10-15 minutes

Post by Lee_Dailey »

GeorgeSK wrote:Helo,i have got a probblem i did not have with the 1.07 Firefox - after intensive browsing (for about 10-20 minutes), the browser slows down - i click on a menu item or button and it takes 2-3 second to do something. I have the 1.5 version with some 9 extensions on a windows 98 system with 1 Gig of RAM!

howdy GeorgeSK,

there is a new feature in ff150 called bfcache. it stores page views - the rendered pages - of places you have been in ram. this is done to speed up use of hte back/forward buttons but it eats lots of ram when you use pages that are "intense" graphically.

if you are curious about what it's doing, lookee ...
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Us ... .5_caching

you CAN disable - or just limit - this kinda thing. lookee ...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessi ... al_viewers

you pro'ly wanna just turn it off - at least to see if this is actually part of your problem.

there is a chance that your system is just too slow to benefit from the extra stuff in ff150. in that case, you might wanna return to ff107 - at least until the first real security fix gets made to ff150. jsut now there is not a lot in ff150 security wise that aint in ff107.

take care,
lee
MotoVT

Post by MotoVT »

SOrry Lee Dailiy, I consider the information accuracte and up to date. At least that was what my IT Admistrator said when he reviewed the three links for accuracy before I posted them

If the "dweeb" is full of sh*t, then so is my IT administrator (who's probably forgotten more about Windows that youand I put together will ever know)

I'll make it a point to pass your comments on to him. I'm sure he'll love hearing from you.
Firefox 5.0 WIN XP SP 3
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy MotoVT,

i apologize for the attitude i displayed. sorry.

however, my info is accurate and the stuff in those links is mostly inaccurate and very, very out of date. it's irritating to see those myths STILL being passed on as fact.

among other things ...
- system resources is 3 structures in w98se
- only two of them are restricted to 64k in w98 and only ONE is limited to 64k in w98se
- those "system resources" limits NEVER cause virtual memory [page file] access

"I'm sure he'll love hearing from you" ... [*grin*] if he's anything like me he will just laff ...

all the points made in those links are common myths. they each have a basis in reality, but the facts are not as claimed in those links.

a google for "system resources" restricted to the m$ sites will find documentation that refutes the info in those links. the same search done outside the m$ sites will - if followed to the windows expert sites instead of the windows rant sites - will also show them to be only slightly connected to reality.

i have been doing tech support for networks and cad systems on various windows versions since wnt4 and for general windows stuff since windows 1.01 [talk about a disaster! [*grin*]]. those stories are part of the myths ... not the facts ... about windows.

take care,
lee

Re: Firefox 1.5 slowing down after 10-15 minutes

Post by Alice »

GeorgeSK wrote:Helo,i have got a probblem i did not have with the 1.07 Firefox - after intensive browsing (for about 10-20 minutes), the browser slows down - i click on a menu item or button and it takes 2-3 second to do something. I have the 1.5 version with some 9 extensions on a windows 98 system with 1 Gig of RAM!

Take a look at the collected memory use suggestions posted here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828
The one and only "Memory usage" thread & FQA
Also:
Reducing memory usage (Firefox)
Alice Wyman
GeorgeSK

Post by GeorgeSK »

Thank you all for help.
Alice

Post by Alice »

One more reference I should have added: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
Last edited by Alice on December 20th, 2005, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alice Wyman
GeorgeSK

Post by GeorgeSK »

Once again, thanks. I suspect, that the priblem is with the Fasterfox extension, because in order to speed up the browser it swithed on most of the settings, which all of you pointed out (excessive memory cache + 64 MB, disk cache - 76 MB, the enable fast back setting for 8 sites, etc.). I will test the FF 1.5 today with the default FF settings + pipelinig switched on. I will write my experiences later.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thanks for posting that information. I found a number of user comments on the Fasterfox page at addons.mozilla.org mentioning the Fasterfox slowdown issue, for example,
In response to Nikor
by Matt, December 20, 2005 4:00am

Turn OFF Prefetching. When you install Fasterfox, do NOT leave it on the DEFAULT setting! Turn it to Optimzed. That's probably where everyone's "slowdown" is coming from. Turbo-Charged uses up too much juice.

I also found three Fasterfox bugs linked from the extension author's contact page at http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/contact.html mentioning hang or freezing issues:
Bug 12501 When prefetching is enabled, Firefox freezes for 1-2 seco...
Bug 12502 Enhanced prefetching causes hangs on certain webpages
Bug 12508 Fasterfox causes firefox to freeze
Alice Wyman
GeorgeSK

Post by GeorgeSK »

Advanced prefetching was the first option i turned off, but still i experienced the slowdown after 10, sometimes 30 minutes. I will try to switch it to the optimized option with the prefetching off.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy GeorgeSK,

you may well have found it ... fasterfox IS faster most of the time but it does get rather agressive. it really is NOT intended for use on slow systems. what cpu & speed is your system runnnig on?

the fastest [*grin*] way to save some ram with fasterfox is this ...
tools/extensions/rt-clk-on fasterfox-and-choose-options/rendering
UNcheck "enable fastback".

"
Lowering this value causes less memory to be used but also causes more previously visited pages to have to be rerendered (thus increasing their load time). Raising it has the opposite effect. One page will on average take 4MB of memory.
"

it's a nicer way to reach the same setting i pointed to in this earlier link ...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessi ... al_viewers

a restart is really recommended when you change those settings. [*grin*] i forgot the first time and was quite confused.

good luck!

hope that helps,
lee
kentlowt

Post by kentlowt »

Well I hate to throw some water on this but I am having the same problem in Mepis linux. The problem is made even worse by sites that use java like online games. I was wondering if it was firefox or mepis since I am using a release candidate version of mepis. In search for the answer I ended up here. I will try the cache settings to see if that helps and report back. Well..... thinking about what i was doing at the time i was staying on a single page playing a java game which started out ok then after 10 minutes it began lagging horribly so i closed the browser reopened problem solved. It is still rather irritating though to have to stop the game and restart the browser.
Sorry forgot machine stuff
256k ram
mepis linux 3.4-2rc1
free space unknow but its plentious 100gb hard drive
900mghz athlon
Last edited by kentlowt on December 20th, 2005, 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.