Toolbar Enhancements 0.15

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
clav

Post by clav »

ehume wrote:I love this extension, with its noew icons.

mosty hacked together from parts of icons present in the default theme, or stolen from old versions of Qute (the save icon). :)

The side toolbars will be great . . . when closing and reopening the browser finds the icons still resident in the toolbar.

the problem here is that it *works for me*, so i can't easily figure out what's going wrong. what os + build are you using ?

does a toolbar at the bottom loose it's contents too?

Until then, I'm enjoying the print preview button and other lovely choices.

yey! I knew I was right about Print Preview being more use than Print :)
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

clav wrote:
The side toolbars will be great . . . when closing and reopening the browser finds the icons still resident in the toolbar.

the problem here is that it *works for me*, so i can't easily figure out what's going wrong. what os + build are you using ?

does a toolbar at the bottom loose it's contents too?

Happened to me also, clav. The bottom lost its contents also (but I was using the 0.1 one). I'm currently on WinXP using 9/13 build.
I'm weird, damn
Hooded One

Post by Hooded One »

clav wrote:
Hooded One wrote:Hmm... at the moment, extra toolbars not in the top position not only forget their visiblity, but they make themselves blank.

cdn mentioned that in an email too, but it's not something i've experienced. build and os? and do the buttons reappear on the palette? and do you see anything in the js console? (having set the javascript.options.showInConsole pref to true first)

Same as wheerdam; 9/13 on XP. The only errors that the console shows are in nsDragAndDrop.js and they appear to occur whenever I move any toolbar button on any toolbar.

Buttons that disappear from side and bottom toolbars *do* reappear in the pallete.

Oh, and Print Preview is definitely more useful to me than Print. I just had to hack Trivial slightly to remove the extraneous drop-down it adds.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
SuSE Linux 9.2, Kernel 2.6.8, KDE 3.3.2
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

Gorgeous! A must have I have to say. Thanks clav.
L
sjrowland

Print button

Post by sjrowland »

Great extension. A couple of things:-

1) Would it be possible to include CDN's Compact so that one extension does all.

2) Instead of hi-jacking the print button and making it a print preview button could you not give us another button for print preview which we could drag and drop from the customize menu. This would give people the option of print, print-preview or both.

But as I said orginally great extension.
clav

Re: Print button

Post by clav »

sjrowland wrote:1) Would it be possible to include CDN's Compact so that one extension does all.

possible, but it's not going to happen. it would just be annoying for those who don't use or want to use Comapct menu.

and there is nothing good about having one extension do everything. TBE is good example of where that can lead.

(amusingly the abbreviation for this extension could be TbE too :))

2) Instead of hi-jacking the print button and making it a print preview button could you not give us another button for print preview which we could drag and drop from the customize menu. This would give people the option of print, print-preview or both.

i could, but i'm not going to. :p
clav

Post by clav »

so could some people who aren't experiencing the everything-disappears-from-new-toolbars bug described above post to confirm that the extension is working ok for them please? posting UA strings would be good too, in case it's related to which build you have

i'm using this build for testing at the moment:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030831 Firebird/0.6.1+ (DOMi/Venkman build by scragz)
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

No problem whasoever here.
But I have to say that after installing 0.1 in my profile folder and not knowing how to desinstall the extension (it is still not possible to uninstall an extension, right?), I deleted my old profile and then installed 0.2.
0.2 works without a glitch..
May be because I am running win 2000 and not xp?

------------------------------
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030903 Firebird/0.6.1+
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

I have that bug with
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030909 Firebird/0.6.1+ (DOMi/Venkman build by scragz) + default theme.

Console says nothing about your extension.

Please stop speaking ill of other's extension here and there. If you have something to say, just mail to piro. I know your opinion is right, and I guess everyone knows that. Isn't it enough? Though I have never installed TBE...

clav wrote:
alanjstr wrote:Stop making new extensions! Go finish ExtensionManager!

:p

extension manager isn't fun to write. this is

... Prefbar 0.3 ?
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Torisugari wrote:... Prefbar 0.3 ?

Hehehe damn straight! In fact this might not be bad addition to prefbar. It would become the ultimate uber-toolbar extension...
clav

Post by clav »

Torisugari wrote:... Prefbar 0.3 ?

waiting for another developer to check in loads of work he's done. and i need to port across the per-tab prefs i created for PrefButtons, and then rewrite the install script (to support profile installation).

it was going to be prefbar 0.2.3 though.

Paradox52525 wrote:Hehehe damn straight! In fact this might not be bad addition to prefbar. It would become the ultimate uber-toolbar extension...

well custom buttons is something i will look at adding to this extension. but i'm not bundling prefbar, because it doesn't work like Fb toolbars, and that's would be confusing for those not familiar with prefbar already

prefbuttons might get budled, but probably not, because i think it would look odd having some of the new toolbar items have icons and some not, and I don't feel up to making icons for everything in prefbuttons. (and the ever expanding size of the toolbar palette is another worry, though that could be ameliorated be incorporating/reimplementing the grouping of items on the palette that's floating around in bugzilla somewhere)
ehume

Post by ehume »

Left toolbar still is blank after closing and reopening browser.

I never installed version 0.1. It's Version 0.2

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030914 Firebird/0.6.1+

And the calculator button is the cat's meow. Thanks.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
clav

Post by clav »

feh. i updated from 20030831 to 20030915 domi builds by scragz and now see the bug. i think i've found what's causing it.
ehume

Post by ehume »

clav wrote:feh. i updated from 20030831 to 20030915 domi builds by scragz and now see the bug. i think i've found what's causing it.
This is great news. I can hardly wait. Whenever I think this browser has maxed out in providing utility, someone like you comes along and notches it up a little more.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
clav

Post by clav »

for those who are interested, the cause of this bug (everything disappearing from toolbars at the left, right or bottom when you restart Fb) is that in current nightlies the toolbox elements are having their xbl bindings attached in the opposite order to the build i was originally testing on (20030831).

with current nightlies the new <toolbox/>es to support the toolbars at the side and left get constructed before the original navigator-toolbox, which breaks things, because they need to retrieve the palette of toolbar items from it. (and since they can't find the palette they can't clone the items in it to add to the custom toolbars as they are rebuild on startup)

so why not all just downgrade to an older build for a while, until i figure out a solution ;)