SpellBound Development version

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
theshovel

You've done it again! :)

Post by theshovel »

Robert, I just found this dev version this morning and installed it. Beautiful! Thanks so much for all the work you've done on this extension. It is one of the most useful extensions ... and it has only gotten better and better since I first found it.

Jim Minker
theshovel

Post by theshovel »

By the way, I discovered this dev version promoted at Performancing.com, where I was viewing another new FF extension for blogging. http://performancing.com/node/540

Jim
denro

spellbound for trunk?

Post by denro »

Robert, what are the possibilities that you could make this excellent, even essential if you spell like me, available for current firefox trunk versions? Either this development version or an update of the simpler 0.7.3? I am sure many would be thanking you for doing so?
-- Denro
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

spellbound.persdict.file worked in previous versions of Firefox for relocating the personal dictionary.
That doesn't work in 1.5 - I have also tried extensions.spellbound.persdict.file which doesn't work either.

What is the correct Preference Name?

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

There has never been a spellbound.persdict.file pref... I vaguely recall there being one provided by the spellchecker engine prefs... perhaps spellchecker.persdict.file - *edit* I tried finding the pref in lxr and google without any luck... if you find the pref you used please post it.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

<embarrassed grin> I just realized that the persdict.dat relocation hasn't worked since at least 0.9 versions {pre-Spellbound era}, when 'we' had to cobble a spellchecker from Mozilla Suite pieces. It looks like the relocated file hasn't been updated since I stopped using the last of my 0.9 versions on any regular basis - still have one left that I use about once a month.

I found an old user.js file dated with the comment on 08-17-04 that had spellbound.persdict.file labeled as experimental. I could find the original source of where I got that preference.

I have also Googled and haven't found the source of where I may have come up with that pref.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

It is used by the spell check engine so the spell check engine c++ would have to be modified and compiled specifically for this... I'm not willing to single handedly support the libraries as well as the extension. If you find the bug for this I may submit a patch unless there are reasons I agree for the removal of the pref... keep in mind this would take a back seat to some of the other work I'm trying to finish up in the tree and elsewhere so no guarantees.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I understand completely. Whatever you decide to do will be very appreciated. Spellbound is light years ahead of what 'we' had to with 0.9 and earlier versions to have spellchecking in Firefox.

Ed
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

I've been working a bit on finishing up the inline spell checking popup and besides the bug fixes I plan on just implementing the following two options ctrl+left-click and right-click display it in the context menu... any other requests?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

You mean options of ways to display the available spelling options for a wrong word?
ctrl+left click instead of the current left click that is inconvenient, or right click to be able to get the list of options on a submenu inside the context menu?
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

DonGato - exactly
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

In my case I think those options are enough. Thanks for your hard work and listening to us. :)
Lawrence111

Post by Lawrence111 »

"I've been working a bit on finishing up the inline spell checking popup and besides the bug fixes I plan on just implementing the following two options ctrl+left-click and right-click display it in the context menu... any other requests?"

Hello Robert:

I don't know if this qualifies as a bug or an implementation request, but here's an example of how I would like to see this implemented:

- Type some text into a form.

- See that you have made a spelling error (red line under the word - nice!)

- Click once in the middle of the word (for example) so that you can manually correct it.

Results: In most cases the pop-up list engages. This is OK, but if the user's goal is simply to click on a spot in the word to remove an additional offending letter, getting past the pop-up it can be difficult. I would much rather be able to click once on the word and have nothing happen vs' double-clicking the word (thus highlighting the word) if I wanted to use a substitute word from the pop-up list.

Otherwise, Spellbound is even more *the* killer app :)

Thanks again,

Sincerely,

Lawrence
Ithaca, NY
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

Lawrence111 wrote:"I've been working a bit on finishing up the inline spell checking popup and besides the bug fixes I plan on just implementing the following two options ctrl+left-click and right-click display it in the context menu... any other requests?"

Hello Robert:

I don't know if this qualifies as a bug or an implementation request, but here's an example of how I would like to see this implemented:

- Type some text into a form.

- See that you have made a spelling error (red line under the word - nice!)

- Click once in the middle of the word (for example) so that you can manually correct it.

Results: In most cases the pop-up list engages. This is OK, but if the user's goal is simply to click on a spot in the word to remove an additional offending letter, getting past the pop-up it can be difficult. I would much rather be able to click once on the word and have nothing happen vs' double-clicking the word (thus highlighting the word) if I wanted to use a substitute word from the pop-up list.

Otherwise, Spellbound is even more *the* killer app :)

Thanks again,

Sincerely,

Lawrence
Ithaca, NY

that is what the following covers by making it a submenu of the context menu or its own popup when using ctrl+left-click depending on how you configure it

Robert S. wrote:I've been working a bit on finishing up the inline spell checking popup and besides the bug fixes I plan on just implementing the following two options ctrl+left-click and right-click display it in the context menu... any other requests?