Cache and closing the Firefox with EndTask method

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
satyr

Cache and closing the Firefox with EndTask method

Post by satyr »

It was all BossKey program's fault. I must confess that I was somehow afraid to execute BossKey for the first time, because I suspected that it's a (too)powerful program; and indeed I was right, it "unfortunately" is. I wrote that the BossKey is a powerful program because it actually made windows and processes totally un-accessible, i.e. the Windows TaskManager showed empty list of tasks, and "Bring to Front" feature in the context menu of Process Explorer program from Sysinternals was greyed-out.

You see, I use Blackbox for Windows program as my default shell, which also offers more than one desktop/workspace. So right after I launched BossKey for the first time, it switched to an empty virtual desktop without Blackbox tray and taskbar and exited (i.e., the "bosskey.exe" process exited), and nomather what I've tried nothing helped; for example setting all the hot-keys for all the virtual desktops in BossKey's GUI, and switching between them etc. So simply all the windows completely disappeared. Luckily I know various techniques how to get them back; for instance, I do that with Enabler program and its "Show" function for a certain control/window/class. Anyway, I got most my programs' windows back with the mentioned Enabler program, but I needed to exit Firefox with APT (Advanced Process Termination) program, since it offers the "EndTask" method for any process (and not just for tasks like TaskManager), which is AFAIK the most gentle way to exit a process beside the "WM_CLOSE" one.

And so I checked the "Cache" directory, and luckily all the cache files/entries were still there. However, after executing Firefox again, they were first moved to a "Cache.Trash" or "Trash.Cache" (or something like that) directory and later deleted. So I copied all the cache file from this Trash directory to the original Cache, closed Firefox, and run it again, but it just didn't want to "use" these otherwise totally "valid" cache files.

My question is why is it so, why Firefox don't want to use these "trashed" cache files.

thanks for any reply, satyr
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
wong888

Post by wong888 »

this might help: Cache Fixer
cant afford a sig.
satyr

Post by satyr »

Thanks much for the reply !!

satyr
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.