Firefox 1.5 slowing down after 10-15 minutes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GeorgeSK

Post by GeorgeSK »

howdy Lee_Dailey

I have a Pentium 4 1.8 GHz machine with a 80 GB harddrive and 1024 MB of 266 Mhz RAM and a Matrox Millenium 450 graphic card. I know that i should upgrade to XP, but i am stuck with some old software, which is only W98-ME
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy GeorgeSK,

[1] "howdy Lee_Dailey"
omg! you've been infected! ... [*grin*]

[2] your system is plenty fast for the top two groups of settings in fasterfox. if you had been running on a system in the 1ghz speed range - like my win98se amd 1ghz box sitting over to my left - then the settings in fasterfox might actually SLOW down display of pages. the "rendering/initial paint delay" is speed sensative. the lower your speed, the HIGHER that number otta be.

your system is plenty fast enuf to benefit from LOWER numbers there.

[3] i am running a matrox millenium g450 dualhead vidcard. [*grin*] nice, but a tad slow. the next windows version is going to REQUIRE hardware 3d accelleration that this card doesn't support. some "shader' stuff i think it is.

[4] have ya had a chance to test the "fastback" setting yet? i am curious how if affects your memory use and your system slowdown problem.

take care,
lee
GeorgeSK

Post by GeorgeSK »

I will try to switch off the fastback option, it seems to be the problem. I switched it on and the memory usage jumped to more than 200 MB in a short time. I closed the FF, then i started it again and the missing memory was there, again. I can imagine, that for people with computers with less then 512 MB (e.g. 256 MB) it can be a cause of a system crash (I presume), or they can restart FF in regular intervals with the installed Session Saver extension. But these solution are not very elegant. I am a bit disappointed because of this, because i used FF from version 0.8 and it was - until this problem - a glitch free experience. It seems, that the version 1.07 was the best for my system. I will also try to unload some extensions, i use more of them in the 1.5 version than before.

Post by Guest »

Oh, and i discovered one other thing - my CPU usage hovers around 90 %!!! with only FF switched on!
fautdaat008

Post by fautdaat008 »

i've think i've found out what the problem is with the back button being slow in refreshing in ff1.5 and i use xp with 1gb mem. if there are a lot of files saved in the download list database the back button will reload slower. after cleaning it up it will become faster. the bug is probably because the download queque is refreshed or checked everytime when using the back button which deserves to be looked at. it is annoying having to do a cleanup in the download list everytime.
Alice

Post by Alice »

fautdaat008 wrote:i've think i've found out what the problem is with the back button being slow in refreshing in ff1.5 and i use xp with 1gb mem. if there are a lot of files saved in the download list database the back button will reload slower. after cleaning it up it will become faster. the bug is probably because the download queque is refreshed or checked everytime when using the back button which deserves to be looked at. it is annoying having to do a cleanup in the download list everytime.

You can change your Firefox settings to clear the download list when you exit Firefox, or, upon successful download. That was mentioned here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828
The one and only "Memory usage" thread & FQA
Download Manager
Clearing out the list of downloaded files every so often will reduce memory usage.

Alice wrote:I posted a list of confirmed, unresolved "memory leak" bugs in one of the now-locked threads
<snip> A number of comments included suggestions to change the Download Manager settings:
Tools > Options > Downloads (UNcheck "show download manager...")
Tools > Options > Privacy > Download History > Remove Files... (select "upon successful download")
Alice Wyman

Post by Guest »

MotoVT wrote:SOrry Lee Dailiy, I consider the information accuracte and up to date. At least that was what my IT Admistrator said when he reviewed the three links for accuracy before I posted them

If the "dweeb" is full of sh*t, then so is my IT administrator (who's probably forgotten more about Windows that youand I put together will ever know)

I'll make it a point to pass your comments on to him. I'm sure he'll love hearing from you.

Get your act together man. You obviously don't have a glue what you are talking about! Thanks to low knowledge people like you, user's who need help keep coming back again and again with the same problem. Please stay away from support, it's not your area.

Post by Guest »

MotoVT wrote:SOrry Lee Dailiy, I consider the information accuracte and up to date. At least that was what my IT Admistrator said when he reviewed the three links for accuracy before I posted them

If the "dweeb" is full of sh*t, then so is my IT administrator (who's probably forgotten more about Windows that youand I put together will ever know)

I'll make it a point to pass your comments on to him. I'm sure he'll love hearing from you.

So, basicly what you are saying is, that you yourself don't have a glue, and you just pass hear-say from a more than stupid 'IT Administrator' (whatever that might be...) on? You are an absolut idiot.
MotoVT

Post by MotoVT »

"guest" why don't you grow a pair and register rather than troll away here?
Firefox 5.0 WIN XP SP 3
fautdaat008

Post by fautdaat008 »

Alice wrote:
fautdaat008 wrote:here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828
The one and only "Memory usage" thread & FQA
Download Manager
Clearing out the list of downloaded files every so often will reduce memory usage.

Alice wrote:I posted a list of confirmed, unresolved "memory leak" bugs in one of the now-locked threads
<snip> A number of comments included suggestions to change the Download Manager settings:
Tools > Options > Downloads (UNcheck "show download manager...")
Tools > Options > Privacy > Download History > Remove Files... (select "upon successful download")

but it's still a bug. i don't always save files in the same directory. i usually open the download manager and select open containing folder to see where the file is stored. i don't recall having this problem in 1.07. i've only noticed this bug in 1.5. it's quite bothersome to clean the cache and try to recall where i've saved a file.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Yes, it's still a bug. You could try Tools > Options > Downloads (UNcheck "show download manager when a download begins") as suggested in the bugzilla comments posted here to see if it helps with the memory usage. If so, use the option, Tools > Options > Privacy > Download History > Remove Files... "when Firefox exits" if you want to keep the downloads list populated during a browsing session.
Alice Wyman
hardcore

Post by hardcore »

Help for idiots PLEASE. I downloaded fiefox & modzilla added few extensions, themes etc on windows xp profess. sp2 edt. Worked great for couple days. now cant get my browser to get back to it. Tried profile manager thingy sys. says cannot run [firefox.exe-profilemanager]. Have it set as my default browser in IE tools etc. When i click my startup shortcut hangs up. Tried clearing all caches,hx., IE sucks Help.
Alice

Post by Alice »

You really should start a new topic but this should help:
Standard diagnostic (Firefox)

Note: You need a space after firefox.exe to start the ProfileManager, like this:
firefox.exe -profilemanager
Alice Wyman

Post by Guest »

Alice wrote:Thanks for posting that information. I found a number of user comments on the Fasterfox page at addons.mozilla.org mentioning the Fasterfox slowdown issue, for example,
In response to Nikor
by Matt, December 20, 2005 4:00am

Turn OFF Prefetching. When you install Fasterfox, do NOT leave it on the DEFAULT setting! Turn it to Optimzed. That's probably where everyone's "slowdown" is coming from. Turbo-Charged uses up too much juice.

I also found three Fasterfox bugs linked from the extension author's contact page at http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/contact.html mentioning hang or freezing issues:
Bug 12501 When prefetching is enabled, Firefox freezes for 1-2 seco...
Bug 12502 Enhanced prefetching causes hangs on certain webpages
Bug 12508 Fasterfox causes firefox to freeze
RJARRRPCGP

Post by RJARRRPCGP »

MotoVT wrote:Clue..........WIN 98 Os only looks at the first 64K of installed RAM! This is a dirtly little secret few know about. The rest of your ram will be used to create a page file on your hard disk where win 98 writes data to it and retrieves it from that page file
The solution I hate to say is frequent reboots of your PC to free up ram.

http://technofileonline.com/texts/tec041501.html

http://technofileonline.com/texts/tec031200.html

http://technofileonline.com/texts/tec040801.html

BS! It don't read the swap file for every RAM access! If anything, it's probably Vista that would! LOL!