Uninstall global extension question

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
potosino

Uninstall global extension question

Post by potosino »

I installed an extension (BugMeNot 0.9) for all user profiles using Firefox 1.5's -install-global-extension command line option. Everything was fine. I wanted to uninstall it, so I went to Tools menu>Extensions, and I hit the 'uninstall' button. The extension description then changed to something like "This extension will be uninstalled when Firefox exits/restarts". So far, so good.

When I restarted Firefox, however, the extension still appeared in my list of installed extensions, with the regular extension description. When I clicked on it, however, the 'uninstall' button was disabled. I searched these forums, and could not find any relevant documentation regarding uninstalling global extensions, except for some outdated info here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_ ... _extension

I exited Firefox again, then I stumbled across a program called xpicleanup.exe in my Firefox program folder. After running xpicleanup.exe, I restarted Firefox and BugMeNot no longer appeared in the list of installed extensions.

My question: Is this the way to uninstall every global extension? I have no idea what xpicleanup.exe is for, but it seemed to work.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

In Firefox 1.5 just delete the folder belonging to the extension and restart.
potosino

Post by potosino »

Thank you.
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

What if using FF 2.0? I have a global extension messing up my FF. A grayed box appears below the status bar (I KNOW is MozEdit) but I can't find any folder or file related to it.
I know it's global cause the gray box shows up in every profile.

Thanx in advance.
nickmeet

Post by nickmeet »

In Ubuntu , in FF 2, I installed mozedit and fasterfox.One of them made the "gray bar below status bar"
Uninstalling the extensions didn't solve the problem.
Deleting the folders ~/.mozilla and /usr/lib/firefox didn't solve the problem.

/usr/lib/firefox/chrome links to /usr/share/firefox/chrome so I had to just delete the file /usr/lib/firefox/chrome/xpinstall.manifest

This info can be added to : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar