Using FireBird on IE only sites??

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
phantomcasper

Using FireBird on IE only sites??

Post by phantomcasper »

I'm sorry if anyony has asked this before, Is there any way to have FB act as if it is IE when going to certain sites that only support IE.(http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp) I will apreciate the help in getting away from IE totaly. Thanks in advance :morning:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040707 Firefox/0.9.2
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

One of the sites in your signature, the extension room has a User Agent Switcher that should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

- rmjb
phantomcasper

Post by phantomcasper »

WOW I had no idea how much that helped TYVM \:D/ \:D/ =D> :mrgreen:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040707 Firefox/0.9.2
iamnotniles

Post by iamnotniles »

if the site works fine in FB email them asking for them to change their browser detection to reflect this.
phantomcasper

Post by phantomcasper »

I kinda jumped the gun. It allowed me to get on the site but when I went to free scan it was just blank. I dont think it worked right. thanks for the help though. :usa

Acrobat

Post by Acrobat »

phantomcasper wrote:I kinda jumped the gun. It allowed me to get on the site but when I went to free scan it was just blank. I dont think it worked right. thanks for the help though. :usa

l tried that extn and it didn't work at all, maybe it was really for earlier builds...

Acrobat
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

My Firebird is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030728 Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1 and the extenstion works fine. The option comes up under Tools, but only in new windows after you've installed the extension. Which is understandable I guess... menus for the current windows are already loaded.

As for that scan thing... that might be an ActiveX component. Those things are written especially for IE (like the windows updater). I saw an ActiveX plugin/extension for Mozilla et al. somewhere around here. You could maybe try that?

- rmjb
HungSquirrel

Post by HungSquirrel »

Will Firebird work with Winblows Update? :lol:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040823 Firefox/0.9.1+ (lokean SVG-enabled)
Yoper Linux 2.1.0
Linux 2.6.8.1
KDE 3.3
Ashitaka
Location: This is certainly a nifty trick. I wish I could put some HTML code here.

Post by Ashitaka »

You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update.

So I assume Firebird would work OK :D
(;´Д`) nani kore? ヽ(´ー`)ノ .sig desu yo!
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

No, Firebird will never work with Windows Update. You can, however, go to <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?DisplayLang=en&ExpandTopList=true">microsoft</a> and download each update individually. The Active X extension is extremely limited in its functionality and is pretty useless really. It's all best avoided as Active X is a big security problem we can all live without.
Last edited by Old Persist on September 17th, 2003, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike`

Post by Mike` »

I recently discovered the Neptune plugin, which allows you to view websites via IE in firebird. It essentially renders the page using the IE engine, but within Firebird. This means any site you can view in IE you can view in firebird, using this.

Neptune can be downloaded here: http://www.meadroid.com/neptune/download/index.htm

Once installed, you need to go to your IE plugins dir (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\ in most case) and copy npmeadax.dll & Neptune.inf to your Firebird plugins dir (P:\Firebird\plugins\ in my case).

To use the plugin I have adapted a bookmarklet for my own use, but there are other ways to do it, for example an html page with form. Here is the bookmarklet I use to access Netpune:

Code: Select all

javascript: function IE() { var addy = prompt(%22Enter the address to view...%22); document.write('\<html\>\<head\>\<title\>Neptune - ' + addy + '\</title\>\</head\>\<body marginheight=\%220\%22 marginwidth=\%220\%22 leftmargin=\%220\%22 bottommargin=\%220\%22 rightmargin=\%220\%22 topmargin=\%220\%22\>\n\n\<embed type=\%22application/x-meadco-neptune-ax\%22 pluginspage=\%22http://www.meadroid.com/neptune/download/\%22 width=\%22100%\%22 height=\%22100%\%22 param-location=\%22' + addy + '\%22\>\</embed\>\n\n\ </body\>\</html\>'); document.close(); } void(IE());

Of course it could be more elegant, but it works. Simply go to your bookmark, and enter the address of the website in the JavaScript prompt (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com for example) and away you go.

Take note that the pages you view use IE security settings etc, so even if you don't use IE itself to browse, ensure the settings are ok.

Hope this is of some use.

Mike
focoma

Post by focoma »

Neptune is a great idea! Unfortunately, your script doesn't seem to work. I tried opening Windows Update through it, and a "page cannot be found" error appeared. In fact, that error occurs *whatever* page I try to visit using the script. Could anyone please help me with this? :cry:

Oh, BTW, now that we have Neptune (assuming that it works), which IE files could we now safely delete (I already planning to delete the Temporary Internet Files folder, for instance)? Or, rather, which IE files should we retain?
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!
HungSquirrel

Post by HungSquirrel »

I want to make it very clear that I was kidding about using Firebird with Winblows Update. A look at my sig would tell you I have no need for Firebird to work there anyway. :wink:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040823 Firefox/0.9.1+ (lokean SVG-enabled)
Yoper Linux 2.1.0
Linux 2.6.8.1
KDE 3.3
focoma

Post by focoma »

Sure, but I would like to view pages that just so happened to have ActiveX, or any other proprietary crap Microsoft is spreading across the Internet. I just tried the Windows Update page because that was the first ActiveX page that came into my mind. Heck! My OS (Win98SE) isn't even supported by "Winblows Update" anymore! :lol!:

Um, again, I just want to know why the Neptune script written by Mike` doesn't seem to work on any page. Maybe one of you guys could offer an alternative way to use Neptune, eh?
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!
jbs3645

Post by jbs3645 »

While I am typing this I am updating my OS - Win98SE. You might want to try again, yes I keep IE around just for this purpose.