Rightmouse + Scroll wheel opera-feature extension? :)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
LuNaTiC

Rightmouse + Scroll wheel opera-feature extension? :)

Post by LuNaTiC »

Hi, they told me to post it here, so here it goes...

does anyone feels a need or see the advantage for this feature? maybe if there are many enthoustiastic reactions, maybe somebody notices it and feels the urge to code it for Phoenix :P (never wrong to dream, right? ;))

For the people who don't know what it is:

When you click with your right mouse button, then scroll with your scrollwheel, you get a menu with all the open tabs. Advantage is, that you can see the whole title of the page, and that you have a nice overall view of the pages you got open. It's a nice feature that allows you to navigate quick and easy through your tabs, and it will cause you less mousemeters :P

For the people who are interested, i have made a gif from this action ;)

I assure you that if you are used to it, you'll miss it very much :)

hopefully i can convince people and make them enthoustiastic for implementing this into Phoenix ;)

(and if this post isnt allowed, then... trash it or something ;) At least ive tried :P)
flii

Post by flii »

i don't know any reason this post would not allowed, and you did get the right place to post it. i think it's a cool feature, but i don't know if i'd use it. i never have many tabs open at once because i start getting an out-of-control feeling with all those different pages open. i can definately see how it would be handy for some people though.
LuNaTiC

Post by LuNaTiC »

With this feature youre getting much more feeling of control, and even more if you're someone with a lot of tabs open.

I'm a user who many tabs, it's THE reason why i only use tabbed browsing-based browsers, a taskbar with many IE-windows open is soooooo chaotic if you know what i mean ;)

I just wanna browse, with many pages, and it doesnt matter if they are open _within_ the browser.

This feature is giving you a good possibility to browse through the tabs and it doesnt matter how many tabs you have open; its still giving you good insight in what youre doing
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

It would be realy fine if phoenix have an feature like this :-)
This would enable an easy-way of surfing :-)

Yes, I want this extension!
itsr0y

Post by itsr0y »

Personally, I think the greatest part about Opera's RMouse+Wheel feature is to turn off the menu so that you can easily flip between tabs. It makes browsing REALLY nice. Too bad it doesn't work in Opera7 (right now.) To do this, all one would have to do is bind RightMouseDown + ScrollWheelUp to "Next Tab" and RightMouseDown + ScrollWheelDown to "Previous Tab". Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help?
jcmkk

Post by jcmkk »

I think it's a lot less about being able to switch tabs that way and more about the menu that's popped up when you do it. It is faster to switch between tabs that aren't right next to each other that way.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Personally I wouldn't use it (crtl+tab works just fine for me) but I understand that some people would like to see it :)
TD

Post by TD »

Sounds like an excellent idea for an extension. I would definitly use it.
hellfred

I'd like that feature, too

Post by hellfred »

Hi Phoenix-users and developers out there.
I'd like to have that great feature, too. Unfortunately my programming-abilities are too poor to program that myself.

Post by 4711 »

i have tested... and made an extension.

look under: http://www.krickelkrackel.de/scrolltab.htm

as always: it´s a dirty hack! Use it at your own risk!

it took 2 hours to produce this. so be careful! I haven´t tested much. There will be many bugs!

Thanks for testing!

Joe

...it´s easy to throw out the stupid menu.
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

I've downloaded and installed thsi extension, and it works fine for me. I will test it now for some days :-)
TD

Post by TD »

That actually works very well for a first version. The only bug I noticed was that the page would move when you first scrolled to bring the menu up.

Some ideas for additions:
Have page icons instead of dots (I'm guessing they are just temporary place holder anyway :))
Make the list continious, ie be able to go from the top of the list to the bottom and vise versa.
Option to not change page until you release the right mouse button (with the current page in bold)
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

TD wrote:Some ideas for additions:
Have page icons instead of dots (I'm guessing they are just temporary place holder anyway :))
Make the list continious, ie be able to go from the top of the list to the bottom and vise versa.
Option to not change page until you release the right mouse button (with the current page in bold)

I agree with this proposals :-)
Ted Mielczarek

Hmm

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

I'm wondering if we shouldn't get a bunch of these extensions together (this one, mouse rocker, maybe others) and offer an "Opera Migration Package" of things that Opera users would want. Might get a lot of converts.
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Could be <b>that</b> argument for many people to switch from Opera to Phoenix :-)
But if Opera 7 Final as bad as the O7b2 most people will convert without having this package ;-)