[Ext] Adblock Plus 0.5.11.4

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
VinDSL
Location: Location: Arizona (USA) Site Admin: Disipal Site Site Admin: Nuke Cops Site Admin: Lenon.com

Post by VinDSL »

Alan Baxter wrote:If you want to whitelist everything that appears on your site's web pages, then the Site Blocking/Whitelisting list is sufficient. Is that what you're trying to do?

Yep, that's exactly what I was trying to do! I want to monitor the ads on my web site, but block ads on everyone else's...

Well, I guess it's an anomaly then. I don't know when the whitelist feature quit working -- but I think it might have been when I upgraded to Mozilla 1.7.12. Since I use this browser at work, I don't have a lot of time to play around. Instead, I just reinstalled everything with a new profile, yada, yada, yada -- several times -- over a period of a few weeks -- to no avail -- until tonight. That's when I discovered that adding my site in both places worked, but NOT in one or the other (alone).

Weird!

Anyway, as long as it works, that's all that matters...

Thanks! ;)
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

VinDSL wrote:Anyway, as long as it works, that's all that matters...

Yes. Glad to hear it works for you, even if I don't know why. It sounds like some of the Mozilla users are having more trouble with Adblock Plus than I do using Firefox.
Johnny_Sun

Post by Johnny_Sun »

I updated to 0.5.11.1 from 0.5.11, but it seems now can not block DIV elements even I checked "Check DIV".
The blockable list does not show any DIV elements. Anyone else knows what's the reason and how to fix it?
Cyberian75

WMF Vulnerability

Post by Cyberian75 »

Wouldn't the following regex expression prevent WMF files from displaying on websites???

Code: Select all

/[0-9a-z]+\.(emf|wmf)/
Michael
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

It would be nice if that were the case, but unfortunately, the file extension is completely ignored for WMF. You can rename them however you like (including no extension) and the WMF exploit will still work.

It's pretty academic though, since WMF can't open within Firefox anyway. At least, every case I've seen hands it off to a third-party application by default.
KLB

Post by KLB »

I don't know how effective it is, but I remapped my WMF and EMF extensions to my text editor UltraEdit. My theory was that UltraEdit would open any WMF and EMF files in HEX editor mode and prevent Windows from trying to execute these files. I also blocked .WMF and EMF extensions at the firewall. Anybody else have thoughts on these two methods of protecting one's self from WMF/EMF exploitation?

Boy am I glad I use Firefox. MSFT's suggestion of only visiting trusted sites is pretty lame. One might as well unplug their computer from the network. What MSFT needs to do is provide users with some real advice and recommend people use Firefox! Oh wait they aren't into providing sound advice.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
Cyberian75

Post by Cyberian75 »

Uhh, FF is vulnerable, too, though only slightly.
Michael
Old UliBär

Post by Old UliBär »

If you are so concerned about the WMF-exploit, then how about a cure from ISC:
*.exe version: http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=999
*.msi version: http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1010

[edit] added *.exe version
Old UliBär

Post by Old UliBär »

Now you can get the official patch from M$ directly:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en
feverfive

Post by feverfive »

As there has been no update for it since 10/31/05, can anyone recommend something equivalent to Filterset.G Updater (w/ or w/out auto-updates)? Sorry if this has been discussed earlier; too lazy to read the whole thread when I only have this specific question....

Post by ******** »

where did mcm_ham go? no posts since mid-december...
Lanik

Post by Lanik »

I remember he said he was taking about a 2 week leave of absence.
caramanis

Post by caramanis »

Johnny_Sun wrote:I updated to 0.5.11.1 from 0.5.11, but it seems now can not block DIV elements even I checked "Check DIV".
The blockable list does not show any DIV elements. Anyone else knows what's the reason and how to fix it?

Same problem here. I'm back to 0.5.10 until this issue is resolved. Anyone else with this problem or with a solution?
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

feverfive wrote:As there has been no update for it since 10/31/05, can anyone recommend something equivalent to Filterset.G Updater (w/ or w/out auto-updates)? Sorry if this has been discussed earlier; too lazy to read the whole thread when I only have this specific question....

The last Filterset.G update was actually 12/11/05.
And the very few ads that slip through it (which appear on sites which I wouldn't trust in a million years but tend to go by anyway...) at this point are picked up by my hosts file anyway....
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

The problem with Check DIV Elements not working should be fixed. Will link the new builds in the auto-update in the next few days. But you can grab them off the first post of this thread.