problems with 1.5 upgrade - java and layout/styles Win XP

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
stardotstar

problems with 1.5 upgrade - java and layout/styles Win XP

Post by stardotstar »

I have just upgraded to 1.5 using XP (not checked all this with Ubuntu yet!) and I was forced to do a bit of searching once I found internet banking not working with the newly updated version of SunJava I downloaded 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05) but the version reported by the browser a a test site is 1.4 and I cannot check the mozilla/netscape box in the "advanced->applet tag support" section of the java console.

Furthermore I have some kind of hilight selection colour that obscures the text I am selecting - like a bruised purple (solid block - no text inversion unless text is a different colour to black (no prob with Thunderbird))

and the java does not work with the chat module of my phpBB forum - so I am guessing my upgrade did not work that well :-)

I have been googling this all afternoob but come up with nothing - any help guys?

BTW why is it Ctrl-C in Thunderbird and alt-C in firefox??????

Will

Post by Guest »

I spent 2 hours trying to get Java to work. In the end, it turned out to be a problem with Adblock. If you are using Adblock, go to Adblock options and make sure Obj-Tabs is NOT checked. (or uninstall Adblock) ... worked for me.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

When you come to these forums to solve a problem, why don't you bother to read the "Sticky" posts, first? If you had read the first Sticky you would have found out that you should replace AdBlock with AdBlockPlus!!

The Java Control Panel options are for the Mozilla Suite only, not Firefox. Firefox controls applet tag support thru Tools > Options -> Content (in 1.5, Web Features in 1.0.x) = Enable Java

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
stardotstar

Post by stardotstar »

sincere apologies - that was very bad forum ettiquette - the sticky pointed me to the tutorial and the tutorial fixed everything by about step 4. (Java was enabled in Content) AdBlock was not implicated in my case.

I should know better. Thank you for your gentle reminder the-edmeister.
the Dogandpony

Post by the Dogandpony »

Actually, I think it was great, because it was the very first result on my forum search for "java" and it solved my problem instanterrifically. I didn't have AdBlock before 'Fox 1.5, and the Obj-Tabs thing turned out to be the thing. (But I know, I know, RTFM first.)
NewMan0815

Post by NewMan0815 »

You are the man! I spent hours looking for the reason Java Applets did run in Firefox, but IE. Finally it turned out to be the "Obj-Tabs" setting within the Adblock extension that was set. After NOT checking this option everything worked again.

THANK YOU!!!!

Take care

NewMan
sonstein

Adblock Issue

Post by sonstein »

I too am having an issue with on-line banking that appears to go away when I disable the Adblock Plus 0.7.5 Add-on to Foxfire 2.0.0.3 rather than 1.5. Have looked in the Options area, but am unable to find any reference to "Obj" anything. Any other clues?
RCAF Retired

Post by RCAF Retired »

Edmeister, why are so d...n critical whenver someone who obviously isn't as smart as you make
yourself out to be, asks a, what you think, is a DUMB question?
Get a life, man!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

sonstein,
Adblock Plus didn't exist i Dec, 2005 and is a totally different extension that AdBlock; that particular Preference doesn't exist in Adblock Plus.

RCAF Retired,
How about this for being critical, why not look at the date of posts you comment on before criticizing? Do you kick sleeping dogs, too?

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.