MozillaZine

Searching within textarea boxes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
user-saif

Post Posted January 8th, 2006, 4:46 pm

Hi, I love FireFox but I have been forced to use Internet Explorer because of a feature that I use often which FireFox does not have. When using the "Find in this page" or Ctrl-F feature in FireFox we are not able to search the text within the textarea boxes; but IE lets you do this. For example, in Yahoo notepad I have a lot of notes that are stored in textareas and when I try to search these notes I am not able to because the text is within the textarea and not within the page.

Can Mozilla FireFox enhance their page search to accmodate searching within form textarea boxes.

Thank you very much.

Saif Altalib

trolly

Post Posted January 8th, 2006, 4:51 pm

Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

saltalib

Post Posted January 8th, 2006, 4:56 pm

If it is a bug, does it mean there has not been a solution yet? I checkout the link you posted but I didnot find a solution to this problem.

trolly

Post Posted January 8th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Yes, the bug is not fixed uptonow.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

Unarmed

Post Posted January 8th, 2006, 5:00 pm

There is a solution posted in that link. A couple, in fact. Both are extensions:

http://s93731204.onlinehome.us/firefox/retrofind.html
http://wargers.org/mozilla/oldfindtexarea.xpi

Post Posted January 8th, 2006, 5:08 pm

sweet!!! Thank you very much for the links, I got it to work. You guys are on top of things. May God bless you for your efforts and help.

Post Posted January 12th, 2006, 8:38 am

Neither of those extensions works for me - there must be a conflict with one of my other extensions. I thought it worth to point out here though something i read in another posting (which does work) - if you click the 'highlight all' button in the findbar, all instances of the text are highlighted including the ones in the textarea. This at least takes some of the pain out of using CMS. I'd love a fix though.

Return to Firefox Support