HELP!! 1768 copies of the bookmark-file...

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DaddyX

HELP!! 1768 copies of the bookmark-file...

Post by DaddyX »

Last 24 hours I've had problems with Firefox crashing. I discovered that I had 1768 copies of the bookmark-file in the mozilla-folder in the application data-folder(all of them created in the last 24 h and the number was increasing)!! Removed them and so far everything looks OK. What happend??

Win XP, Firefox 1.5
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Look here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 09#1962109 and http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=255641 . Fx creates a temporary working file while it is saving bookmarks. Sometimes that gets marked as ReadOnly.

Please try to see if you can figure out how it got to be ReadOnly. What were you doing that might have gotten it that way? This is an old bug. Understanding the cause better would help to fix it. Thanks.
DaddyX

Post by DaddyX »

I have three bookmark-files, bookmarks, bookmarks.bak and bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak, none of which is ReadOnly. I also have a bookmarkbackups-folder(why??) containing 5 backups of bookmarks, none of which is ReadOnly. No new copies the last three hours...

Post by Guest »

I have three bookmark-files, bookmarks, bookmarks.bak and bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak, none of which is ReadOnly. I also have a bookmarkbackups-folder(why??) containing 5 backups of bookmarks, none of which is ReadOnly. No new copies the last three hours...
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

DaddyX wrote:I have three bookmark-files, bookmarks, bookmarks.bak and bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak, none of which is ReadOnly. I also have a bookmarkbackups-folder(why??) containing 5 backups of bookmarks, none of which is ReadOnly. No new copies the last three hours...

"bookmarks.html" is supposed to be the actual bookmarks file, although it can be superceded by "bookmarks-1.html", etc. "bookmarks.html.moztmp" is a temporary working file that ordinarily gets deleted automatically. "bookmarks.bak" is the usual backup file. "bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak" is a Spybot Search and Destroy file.

No copies in the last three hours means that you do not now have a ReadOnly file. That's good news. Problem solved, I think.

There's another hypothetical cause. Perhaps one of the files was being used by another program and therefor locked. Can you check the times of the "bookmarks-1.html" file and remember what you were doing at that time or just before? Whatever you were doing, that's probably what caused it.

Post by Guest »

VanillaMozilla, about the time of bookmarks1 I downloaded a style for Sage and put the style in the Mozilla-folder. I removed the style from the folder but that didn´t help. I now have the style back in the folder with no problems. That´s all I can think of. Why do I have a bookmarkbackups-folder??
DaddyX

Post by DaddyX »

Previous post is mine.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Bookmarks backup is for backup, if you lose your bookmarks file. Don't worry, this is a pretty rare event except for a few people who happen to be hexed. <Donning asbestos suit.>
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

bookmarks-1.html etc... is a Spotlight issue!
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2049087
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

... and its a known bug!
294584 - Spotlight/Norton Antivirus contention with bookmarks.html causing multiple backups (boomarks-n.html created)
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Thanks for the info krmathis!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

1768 copies of bookmarks.html is the new record!

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Unless I missed a crucial point. Does anyone have any idea why it happens under Windows? It may be analogous to the Mac Spotlight problem.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Norton was implicated as well. Other progs might do that too.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

There are several bug reports, and generally they are a mess, although it is fixed for OS/2. Yea! Do you know if this is well understood and noted in a proper bug report -- one that convers Fx in all OS's?

<b>NOTE: Folks, please do not add comments to bug reports unless you have solid new information to add.</b>