[Ext] Adblock Plus 0.5.11.4

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ThufirHawat

Post by ThufirHawat »

I am using the official FF 1.5 release, on MacOS X (10.3.9) and upon installing it from the link provided at the beginning of this thread, two AdBlockPlus Extensions are now visible in the Extensions window.
One has got all the regular buttons (uninstall, preferences, etc.) and bears the release number (5.0.11.2), the other one has all buttons greyed out and no release number.
It would look like the install hit some hitch...
Would anybody point me at what I may attempt, please?
Do note that the usual "get a new profile" is simply not an option for me, as I have various extensions, saved forms and billions of other things I cannot just wipe out.

Thank you.
ThufirHawat
--
Part-time Mentat
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

ThufirHawat wrote:I am using the official FF 1.5 release, on MacOS X (10.3.9) and upon installing it from the link provided at the beginning of this thread, two AdBlockPlus Extensions are now visible in the Extensions window.
One has got all the regular buttons (uninstall, preferences, etc.) and bears the release number (5.0.11.2), the other one has all buttons greyed out and no release number.
It would look like the install hit some hitch...
Would anybody point me at what I may attempt, please?
Do note that the usual "get a new profile" is simply not an option for me, as I have various extensions, saved forms and billions of other things I cannot just wipe out.

Thank you.

Try using the one you got (the one with all the buttons and the regular release number). By selecting it, then clicking "Options", you should be able to access the Adblock Plus preferences as a menu. If it doesn't work, try uninstalling the one with the buttons (and see if the other disappears), then reinstalling it (if there is an "Install" button on your Extensions window, try using that instead of drag-drop).

I've seen that sort of things, not with Firefox extensions but with Thunderbird themes, and I don't know what to do about it either. I suspect the "MR Tech Local Install" extension, which I have on TB but not on Fx. I wonder what uninstalling that would do.

And BTW, "making a new profile" doesn't necessarily imply "losing the old one". You can make a new profile in addition to the old one, make a few tests with it, then go back to using the old one. The following command-line arguments are useful (but some of them only work if there is no Firefox instance running yet):
  • firefox -ProfileManager - load Profile Manager (to create, delete or select profiles)
  • firefox -P test - load the profile named "test"
  • firefox -h |more - display usage summary, then quit. On some OSs including Windows, "|more" is necessary because otherwise the stdout gets closed before anything is displayed, see bug 26761.
On Mac OS X (which is Unix-like) you ought to be able to use these commands in a console terminal (xterm or similar). You may need to replace "firefox" by whatever name your OS uses for the Firefox executable, possibly with a path prepended.
Best regards,
Tony
ThufirHawat

The double extension...

Post by ThufirHawat »

Thanks to the Schaerbeek buddy (am actually in Uccle...).
I tried to follow your advice, and in the end I had to use a backed up profile, because the uninstaller does not work.

My advice to those who try to update AdblockPlus:

first, uninstall the obsolete version;
then, install the newer version.

Like this it works perfectly.

I still believe that the extension writer must have overlooked something on the updating mechanism, otherwise it should be able to update without all this fuss...
ThufirHawat
--
Part-time Mentat
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Well, Thufir old buddy, I could upgrade Adblock Plus in-place with no fuss; but as I said, I had a similar problem with several themes in Thunderbird and I suspect another extension is interfering — of course, YMMV.
Best regards,
Tony
therube

Post by therube »

Testers a while back were asked to use the 1.5.x.x. branch since the next release comes off it. Lots of extensions still broken. I miss Aardvark and AdblockPlus most

That's strange, cause I'm have both Aardvark (1.0) & AdblockPlus (0.5.11) installed & working - in SeaMonkey no less.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20051228 SeaMonkey/1.5a
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
VinDSL
Location: Location: Arizona (USA) Site Admin: Disipal Site Site Admin: Nuke Cops Site Admin: Lenon.com

Post by VinDSL »

therube wrote:That's strange, cause I'm have... AdblockPlus (0.5.11) installed & working - in SeaMonkey no less...

And, fully functional - whitelisting and so forth?!?!?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9a1)
Gecko/20060113 SeaMonkey/1.5a
KomarQ

Post by KomarQ »

Well, ... in 0.5.11.2 blocking background image still doesn't work. In branch and trunk build of Fx. New code for blocking bg imgs guilty?
toscha42

Re: Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2

Post by toscha42 »

mcm_ham wrote:Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2

As Extensions Mirror seems to be down since a while now any chance to download 0.5.11.2_enh somewhere else?

Bye
Toscha
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

toscha42

Post by toscha42 »

DonGato wrote:http://portale.extenzilla.org/show_ext.php?id=12 (in Italian :P)

Gracie et ciao, :)
Toscha
ankh

Difference between 1.5 and 1.5.0.x is ....

Post by ankh »

Here's the request to testers to move to 1.5.0.x
from http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/

Firefox 1.5.0.x will be released from this branch, MOZILLA_1_8_0_BRANCH.
... If you use Firefox 1.5, please switch to one of these builds if you're affected by one of the bugs below or if you want to help test that the fixes didn't break anything.

----
You're right, more extensions still work with the 1.5 builds than with the new 1.5.0.x builds. The latter are the ones where they want help finding bugs, I gather.
XerBlade

Re: Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2

Post by XerBlade »

toscha42 wrote:
mcm_ham wrote:Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2

As Extensions Mirror seems to be down since a while now any chance to download 0.5.11.2_enh somewhere else?

Bye
Toscha

Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2

That's the same URL with extensionmirror's IP hard-coded in. As a stickied post in this forum says, they're having domain issues, but you can still reach their site by using the IP itself. This isn't actually the first time this has happened, so I've had an addition to my hosts file to get around that automatically for a while now, so I didn't even notice it was supposedly down until just a few minutes ago when I saw that stickied post. I've been checking the CuteMenus - Crystal SVG thread there for updates about every hour, you know....
P.S. My hosts file is currently 389 kB.... Most of that being blocked sites, of course. [the average hosts file being less than half a kB]
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Alpine

Cant uninstall/remove extension...

Post by Alpine »

The main link to the current build of Adblock Plus was dead so I clicked on:

"For a smaller English - Fx 1.5 only version use the links below:
Install - Download"

at the bottom of mcm-ham's post.

Anyway, this didnt work. I now have the adblock plus icon in extensions but it doesnt show the version or anything. I have doubles of Adblock Plus in my extensions now but this one isnt selectable. You can't update/delete/remove it or anything. It just sits there, how can I remove it. I tried manually deleting extension files but that doesnt work. It's not causing a problem but its annoying and I want it gone.

I'm using firefox 1.5. The regular, working link to 5.11.2 works fine. I just have doubles of adblock plus now and one (from the link I mentioned above) is the nonworking unremovable one.
ThufirHawat

Post by ThufirHawat »

Alpine, I got into your same fix.
The only way I could get out of it was using a backed up profile, de-installing AdBlock Plus and then re-installing the updated version.
I apologise for not being able to offer a better solution, though I do not think the "numb" version is actually harmful.
ThufirHawat
--
Part-time Mentat
Nitallica

Post by Nitallica »

I've run into the duplication problem as well. Is there a way to remove the duplicate?