[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

#264162[Core:Style System (CSS)]-css error reporting should be pref-controlled [All]
default: layout.css.report_errors true

added a pref to trunk , you may want to switch it on/off in Console² if CSS is tobe/not to be reported
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Peter(6) wrote:#264162[Core:Style System (CSS)]-css error reporting should be pref-controlled [All]
default: layout.css.report_errors true

If you're using a trunk build, you can toggle this pref from Console²'s Options menu. Just get the <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">most recent nightly</a> (v0.2.5.3+).
gregs

I never realized

Post by gregs »

I never realized how many errors there were till I installed this xpi. It's great. Thanks for all the work. One request. A way to submit the errors to Mozilla in an organized way.

Greg

Now that I have used it for several days REALLY hard a couple of things come out. One is it clears it's memory after about 50 pages are loaded (or at least that is my experience). Second is if you are pushing you computer too hard and then you try to go to the console it locks up and crashes the whole browser (without talkback launching).

I am using the dev version by the way since I test 1.6a1 on this machine.
Every problem has a solution. Some are just harder to find.
Peepsalot

Post by Peepsalot »

Is there a mirror for this extension? The link in the first post of this thread is not working for me.

Thanks
LimeJuice

Post by LimeJuice »

Wow! Thanks for this extension It really helps to be able to filter out the CSS errors.
The only obvious improvement I could think of is to allow selecting multiple types and
multiple languages.. I would like to see errors and warnings but not messages. I would like to see errors for javascript and xml but not css.

Also, I couldn't find this on https://addons.mozilla.org. Any reason it's not there? I would have found it sooner if it was listed there.

Thanks!
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@gregs: I'll think about some BugZilla integration. Won't be too easy though, since before you can enter the error data, you have to be logged in and choose the affected product. As for the clearing: Mozilla's console service (which manages the data presented by the Console) won't store more than 250 entries - nor does Console². You could change this value by manually editing the console2.xml file. I'll think about making this easier - if you really think it would be needed. As for the console locking up and crashing, this sounds more like some nightly instability against which I can't do much. BTW: I won't officially test this extension on the trunk anytime soon.

@Peepsalot: The links should both work. Anyway, The Extensions Mirror hosts this extension as well.

@LimeJuice: I'll think about multiple language selection. Any suggestion for how to present this in the UI? As for AMO: As I've experienced it, it's quite a hassle hosting an extension there. Anyway, I'll give it a try...
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Alright, so on the one hand Console² is now also hosted on AMO.

On the other hand I've just uploaded a new <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">testing build</a> (v0.2.9.0+) which sports a whole new toolbar layout with checkbox like buttons for all main filter types. As usual, any improvement suggestions are welcome. Before filing any bugs, please reset Console²'s toolbars after the update.

One hint (apart of the fact that the toolbars are still customizable): middle-clicking on any button makes it behave as a radio button (i.e. deselects all other options of the same type).
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2.xpi">Console² v0.3</a>'s gone gold. After updating, please reset its toolbars! Main improvement is the new toolbar layout (featuring individual checkbox buttons for all filters). Your feedback is welcome...
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Nice, but it would be even better if the buttons had tooltips.
Bloodeye

Post by Bloodeye »

It's better than "Javascript Console" for sure. I didn't realize when installing it would replace it though, can't both exist together? Sorry if this has been asked.

Know Issues:
* The console starts up somewhat slower if many messages are visible.

Any chance of you changing the load event so that the window opens, a "Loading..." message is displayed, and then replaced with the loaded messages upon completion. Visually it would be more appealing. I've noticed this with the regular JS Console too. I suppose this would involve a setTimeout, or images have an onload event, maybe you could have an onload image handler for one of your toolbar images...Not sure?
onemen

Post by onemen »

zeniko,
you have to fix some accesskey :

Chrome (N) - for the button
CSS (Z)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

asqueella wrote:Nice, but it would be even better if the buttons had tooltips.

They do now (as of v0.3.1).

Bloodeye wrote:It's better than "Javascript Console" for sure. I didn't realize when installing it would replace it though, can't both exist together? Sorry if this has been asked.

They could theoretically, but you'd hack the necessary adjustment together yourself. IMO it doesn't make sense to have two different consoles, since Console² is actually merely an extension of the original JavaScript Console. You can get the original console back by editing chrome.manifest in Console²'s installation folder and commenting out the first override line. Console² can then still (and only) be accessed by typing chrome://console2/content/ into the location bar.

Bloodeye wrote:Any chance of you changing the load event so that the window opens, a "Loading..." message is displayed, and then replaced with the loaded messages upon completion.

Implemented for v0.3.1.

onemen wrote:zeniko,
you have to fix some accesskey :

Chrome (N) - for the button
CSS (Z)

Since I'm running out of letters, there probably won't be any possibility for change. C stands for Clear (always has), S for Search (does so everywhere else) and that's it for CSS. However, the (Z) should actually be hidden. As for the button, E is the only letter present in all three words, but that's for Errors (always has). However, the button is no longer part of the official layout. So no changes, unless you find some better alternative.

UPDATE: Two of the requests are now implemented in v0.3.1.
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

V0.3.1 refuses to remember some settings:

Report Strict Warnings
Report CSS errors

are alsways disabled when you close-open the console

Report CSS errors alse disables the CSS button on the 2nd toolbar
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

WFM with yesterday's 1.6a nightly. Have you tried a clean profile? Do you get any errors/messages in the console? Does enabling the settings change the correspondent values in about:config (and is changing the values in about:config mirrored in the console's Options menu)?

As for disabling the CSS button: If you don't get CSS errors reported, why would you have any need for that button? I'm not yet decided about keeping that this way, but it seemed obvious...
chob

Post by chob »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060115 Firefox/1.6a1 ID:2006011506
Console² 0.31
When I click on an entry in the console, the text turns white, which makes it impossible to read against the background colours.
Win2k, no theme.