Outgoing Compuserve SMTP Settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Mike423

Outgoing Compuserve SMTP Settings

Post by Mike423 »

I am able to receive email just fine with Thunderbird, but cannot for the life of me configure outgoing settings!
Research shows me that there are 2 methods of setting CS smtp:
smtp.site1.csi.com is one of them.

However, nothing I use seems to work.
Please help.

Thanks.
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

Can you contact Compuserve to get the SMTP server and see if there are any special settings required?
Gord McFee
Mike423

Post by Mike423 »

I suppose I could contact them.
Any CS users here that have done this?
Thanks.
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

They should have some way to contact them online, and in the meantime, perhaps a Compuserve user will happen by.
Gord McFee
Xanthe

Compuserve & Thunderbird

Post by Xanthe »

I have got it to work for incoming and outgoing CompuServe email

From the CS site:
Can I read and send Compuserve 2000 e-mail using Thunderbird?
Yes, Compuserve 2000 users can read their Compuserve 2000 mail using Thunderbird. In order to do this, setup a new mail account (File > New > Account...) and select IMAP as the incoming server type and enter imap.cs.com as the address. Enter your screen name as the user name.

You must also setup the outgoing (SMTP) server in order to send e-mail. To do this, select Tools > Account Settings... and then select the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" item in the list and click Advanced.... In the Advanced Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings window that pops up, click Add.... Enter smtp.cs.com as the Server Name, use port 587 and enter your Compuserve 2000 screen name as the User Name (you will be asked for the password later). Click OK and go back to the Account Settings window. Now locate your newly created mail account and select "Server Settings", click Advanced... and select the Outgoing Server (SMTP) that you created.

Note that you cannot manually add messages to the Inbox or Sent Items folders. Messages will only be added to these folders when an e-mail is received or sent by the Compuserve 2000 IMAP server. Therefore, make sure you use local folders for Sent, Drafts and Templates. To specify this, open the Account Settings again and select the "Copies & Folders" item under the Compuserve 2000 account.

NOW THE IMPORTANT THING FOR SENDING MAIL IS THAT THE INFO FOR USING PORT 587 DOESN'T WORK. If you use that, you get a "can't connect to the server" message. DON'T BOTHER WITH THE STEP ABOUT SETTING UP THE STMP SERVER TO PORT 587.

Instead, go to Tools>Account Settings>the CS acct name>Server Settings>Advanced>STMP>and then use "Always Use Default Server" (if don't have that option, then just use the only server listed).

You also have to make sure that the "Copies & Folders" section shows the Sent Items, Drafts & Templates as being on the Local Folders.

This has worked for me. Optonline is my ISP. :)